Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

XP in place upgrade, networking issues

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2007
wimos
 

Posts: n/a
XP in place upgrade, networking issues
Hi,
I upgraded my Windows XP SP2 installation on my HP nc6320. I'm using
Checkpoint secure client for VPN. After the upgrade I installed "Checkpoint
VPN-1 SecuRemoteSecureClient NGX HFA EA". Furthermore I noticed that with
Virtual PC 2007 I can not select a Network interface. Anyone an idea, apart
from reinstallation ?

Kind Regards,
Wim
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2007
Kerry Brown
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP in place upgrade, networking issues
Here's my standard tip for upgrading - don't, do a clean install. Backup
your data. Format the drive. Install Vista. Install Vista compatible
versions of your programs and hardware drivers. Restore your data.

If you must upgrade use the following procedure.

1) Backup your PC.
2) Back it up again.
3) Test your backups.

If you skip the above steps please don't whine that the upgrade trashed all
your files. Any process that involves this many changes to the file system
is fraught with danger. If you don't have a full backup of your pc before
starting the upgrade you are an idiot and shouldn't really have a pc to
start with :-) This may sound harsh but it is reality.

4) Run the latest version of the Upgrade Advisor and note anything it flags.
5) Uninstall (not disable) all antivirus, antispyware, firewall, disk
utility, and system utility programs even if the upgrade advisor doesn't
mention them. You will need to install Vista compatible versions after the
upgrade is finished.
6) Uninstall (not disable) all programs that the upgrade advisor flags as
possible problems. You will need to install Vista compatible versions after
the upgrade is finished.
7) If possible remove all hardware that the upgrade advisor flags as
incompatible.
8) Make sure you have Vista compatible drivers and software for all your
hardware devices burned to CD. Don't just look for drivers that the upgrade
advisor mentioned. If possible have drivers ready for everything.
9) Physically unplug any external devices like portable hard drives,
printers, card readers, flash drives, cameras, etc..
10) Run a chkdsk on all the partitions on all hard drives still connected.
11) Defrag the system and boot partitions.
12) Start the Vista upgrade process.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca


"wimos" <wimos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news3383DC9-6840-413F-8406-FE50478E62DD@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I upgraded my Windows XP SP2 installation on my HP nc6320. I'm using
> Checkpoint secure client for VPN. After the upgrade I installed
> "Checkpoint
> VPN-1 SecuRemoteSecureClient NGX HFA EA". Furthermore I noticed that with
> Virtual PC 2007 I can not select a Network interface. Anyone an idea,
> apart
> from reinstallation ?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Wim


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2007
wimos
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP in place upgrade, networking issues
OK. Noted. But completely not to to the point.
Procedure followed:
1. Data on external HD
2. Vista Upgrade advisor
3. Uninstalled all not compatible SW versions
4. Upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate
5. Installed Office 2K7 pro and all other compatible programs
6. Updated HW drivers
7. Installed secure client --> Will not start, nothing in event viewer
(first run: sometimes a popup for registry keys marked for deletion,
unfortunately, i dont know which keys are impacted.)
8.Installed VPC 2007, imported virtual HD files and launched the Virtual
Machine. No network option available to chose from.

Maybe MVP's should be credited by the amount of CORRECT answers and not by
their activity in newsgroups ;-). So please, don't call me the "idiot". The
Upgrade path from windows XP is fully supported by Microsoft so I would like
to find out what is keeping my config from performing ...

Please only relevant posts, and I don't want to insult any MVP's out there
because their work is highly appreciated

Wim

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Here's my standard tip for upgrading - don't, do a clean install. Backup
> your data. Format the drive. Install Vista. Install Vista compatible
> versions of your programs and hardware drivers. Restore your data.
>
> If you must upgrade use the following procedure.
>
> 1) Backup your PC.
> 2) Back it up again.
> 3) Test your backups.
>
> If you skip the above steps please don't whine that the upgrade trashed all
> your files. Any process that involves this many changes to the file system
> is fraught with danger. If you don't have a full backup of your pc before
> starting the upgrade you are an idiot and shouldn't really have a pc to
> start with :-) This may sound harsh but it is reality.
>
> 4) Run the latest version of the Upgrade Advisor and note anything it flags.
> 5) Uninstall (not disable) all antivirus, antispyware, firewall, disk
> utility, and system utility programs even if the upgrade advisor doesn't
> mention them. You will need to install Vista compatible versions after the
> upgrade is finished.
> 6) Uninstall (not disable) all programs that the upgrade advisor flags as
> possible problems. You will need to install Vista compatible versions after
> the upgrade is finished.
> 7) If possible remove all hardware that the upgrade advisor flags as
> incompatible.
> 8) Make sure you have Vista compatible drivers and software for all your
> hardware devices burned to CD. Don't just look for drivers that the upgrade
> advisor mentioned. If possible have drivers ready for everything.
> 9) Physically unplug any external devices like portable hard drives,
> printers, card readers, flash drives, cameras, etc..
> 10) Run a chkdsk on all the partitions on all hard drives still connected.
> 11) Defrag the system and boot partitions.
> 12) Start the Vista upgrade process.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>
>
> "wimos" <wimos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news3383DC9-6840-413F-8406-FE50478E62DD@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > I upgraded my Windows XP SP2 installation on my HP nc6320. I'm using
> > Checkpoint secure client for VPN. After the upgrade I installed
> > "Checkpoint
> > VPN-1 SecuRemoteSecureClient NGX HFA EA". Furthermore I noticed that with
> > Virtual PC 2007 I can not select a Network interface. Anyone an idea,
> > apart
> > from reinstallation ?
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> > Wim

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2007
Kerry Brown
 

Posts: n/a
Re: XP in place upgrade, networking issues
I'm sorry if you took my post as calling you an idiot. Your first post did
not indicate how you had installed Vista other than it was an upgrade. We
could only guess at what steps you had taken. My post was meant for others
finding it through searches as much as for you. Many people say they backup
but don't actually do it. They later post complaining that they lost their
files.

I have tried upgrading many different hardware and software configurations
from XP to Vista. Even though it is supported it does not always work. Vista
will sometimes use XP drivers from the old installation. When Vista tries to
re-setup the applications the registry can get corrupted. Not all
applications are migrated properly sometimes causing intermittent problems.
There are many reasons why a clean install is preferred. If you still want
to upgrade the steps in my first post will ensure the best chance of the
upgrade working but it is not guaranteed.

Whenever I run across a situation like yours this is my troubleshooting
methodology: Image the system. Test the image. Wipe out the system and do a
clean install of Vista. Install the hardware or software causing the
problem. If the problem is gone start installing other applications then
restore data. If the problem still exists you now have a clean system to
troubleshoot. You are sure there are no interactions with other programs
like antivirus, firewall, old drivers, or who knows what.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca


"wimos" <wimos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2D71BA58-3E09-496E-A7CC-7DA5A2524937@microsoft.com...
> OK. Noted. But completely not to to the point.
> Procedure followed:
> 1. Data on external HD
> 2. Vista Upgrade advisor
> 3. Uninstalled all not compatible SW versions
> 4. Upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate
> 5. Installed Office 2K7 pro and all other compatible programs
> 6. Updated HW drivers
> 7. Installed secure client --> Will not start, nothing in event viewer
> (first run: sometimes a popup for registry keys marked for deletion,
> unfortunately, i dont know which keys are impacted.)
> 8.Installed VPC 2007, imported virtual HD files and launched the Virtual
> Machine. No network option available to chose from.
>
> Maybe MVP's should be credited by the amount of CORRECT answers and not by
> their activity in newsgroups ;-). So please, don't call me the "idiot".
> The
> Upgrade path from windows XP is fully supported by Microsoft so I would
> like
> to find out what is keeping my config from performing ...
>
> Please only relevant posts, and I don't want to insult any MVP's out there
> because their work is highly appreciated
>
> Wim
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> Here's my standard tip for upgrading - don't, do a clean install. Backup
>> your data. Format the drive. Install Vista. Install Vista compatible
>> versions of your programs and hardware drivers. Restore your data.
>>
>> If you must upgrade use the following procedure.
>>
>> 1) Backup your PC.
>> 2) Back it up again.
>> 3) Test your backups.
>>
>> If you skip the above steps please don't whine that the upgrade trashed
>> all
>> your files. Any process that involves this many changes to the file
>> system
>> is fraught with danger. If you don't have a full backup of your pc before
>> starting the upgrade you are an idiot and shouldn't really have a pc to
>> start with :-) This may sound harsh but it is reality.
>>
>> 4) Run the latest version of the Upgrade Advisor and note anything it
>> flags.
>> 5) Uninstall (not disable) all antivirus, antispyware, firewall, disk
>> utility, and system utility programs even if the upgrade advisor doesn't
>> mention them. You will need to install Vista compatible versions after
>> the
>> upgrade is finished.
>> 6) Uninstall (not disable) all programs that the upgrade advisor flags as
>> possible problems. You will need to install Vista compatible versions
>> after
>> the upgrade is finished.
>> 7) If possible remove all hardware that the upgrade advisor flags as
>> incompatible.
>> 8) Make sure you have Vista compatible drivers and software for all your
>> hardware devices burned to CD. Don't just look for drivers that the
>> upgrade
>> advisor mentioned. If possible have drivers ready for everything.
>> 9) Physically unplug any external devices like portable hard drives,
>> printers, card readers, flash drives, cameras, etc..
>> 10) Run a chkdsk on all the partitions on all hard drives still
>> connected.
>> 11) Defrag the system and boot partitions.
>> 12) Start the Vista upgrade process.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>>
>>
>> "wimos" <wimos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news3383DC9-6840-413F-8406-FE50478E62DD@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> > I upgraded my Windows XP SP2 installation on my HP nc6320. I'm using
>> > Checkpoint secure client for VPN. After the upgrade I installed
>> > "Checkpoint
>> > VPN-1 SecuRemoteSecureClient NGX HFA EA". Furthermore I noticed that
>> > with
>> > Virtual PC 2007 I can not select a Network interface. Anyone an idea,
>> > apart
>> > from reinstallation ?
>> >
>> > Kind Regards,
>> > Wim

>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet/networking issues jamesg1979 microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 5 04-26-2007 13:25
Networking Issues =?Utf-8?B?TWFydGluZQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 04-19-2007 07:20
Networking Issues =?Utf-8?B?Sktvcm4=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 04-14-2007 19:54
Very Odd Networking Issues =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lIEMu?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 4 03-29-2007 16:46
In-Place Upgrade =?Utf-8?B?Q3JhaWc=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 5 01-22-2007 17:27




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:07.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120