Remove NVIDIA Drivers

bobneedshelp

Remove NVIDIA Drivers
I recently replaced an older GeForce FX 5200 card with a GeForce 7600 GS. I
am using Windows Vista 32 bit Ultimate. In the control panel, there are two
icons. One for NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager and one for NVIDIA Control
Panel. I believe the NVIDIA nView Desktop Manger should be uninstalled.
There are no options in the uninstall a program to do this. There is only
NVIDIA Drivers. If I uninstall the drivers, it removes the NVIDIA Control
Panel (not the NVIDIA nView Desktop Manger).
How can I get rid of the NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager?

If I try to run the nView Desktop manager, I get an error message that "This
program has known compatibility issues."

I believe that this all occurred when I followed the instructions included
with the card to install the drivers that came with the CD ROM. I think
these are Windows XP drivers, not Vista drivers.

I also booted in safe mode, uninstalled the current driver, restarted in
safe mode and installed the latest driver 158.24.

According to NVIDIA, this is not the regular behavior of the driver. When
you uninstall the driver, you will not have the control panel or the Desktop
Manager. They suspect the driver is not being completely removed when I do
the uninstall. This could be due to corrupted files. There response is that
I should "Please contact Microsoft for assistance to completely uninstall the
drivers".

How can I correct this setup and remove this driver?
--
Bob
...winston

Re: Remove NVIDIA Drivers
Was Vista installed as an upgrade over XP that was using the Fx5200 driver and the nView desktop manager ?

You also would probably be correct in assuming the cd provided drivers are for XP.

..winston

:
[...]
: --
: Bob
bobneedshelp

Re: Remove NVIDIA Drivers
I did a new install of Vista (not an upgrade). The problem came in when I
used the CD that came with the new video card. It was basically not
compatible with Vista. I then went to the NVIDIA web site and loaded the
newest drivers.
--
Bob

"...winston" wrote:

> Was Vista installed as an upgrade over XP that was using the Fx5200 driver and the nView desktop manager ?
>
> You also would probably be correct in assuming the cd provided drivers are for XP.
>
> ..winston
>
> "bobneedshelp" <bobneedshelp@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:5B1729CB-7FD1-4200-9825-4FC3469E72AC@microsoft.com...
> :I recently replaced an older GeForce FX 5200 card with a GeForce 7600 GS. I
> : am using Windows Vista 32 bit Ultimate. In the control panel, there are two
> : icons. One for NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager and one for NVIDIA Control
> : Panel. I believe the NVIDIA nView Desktop Manger should be uninstalled.
> : There are no options in the uninstall a program to do this. There is only
> : NVIDIA Drivers. If I uninstall the drivers, it removes the NVIDIA Control
> : Panel (not the NVIDIA nView Desktop Manger).
> : How can I get rid of the NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager?
> :
> : If I try to run the nView Desktop manager, I get an error message that "This
> : program has known compatibility issues."
> :
> : I believe that this all occurred when I followed the instructions included
> : with the card to install the drivers that came with the CD ROM. I think
> : these are Windows XP drivers, not Vista drivers.
> :
> : I also booted in safe mode, uninstalled the current driver, restarted in
> : safe mode and installed the latest driver 158.24.
> :
> : According to NVIDIA, this is not the regular behavior of the driver. When
> : you uninstall the driver, you will not have the control panel or the Desktop
> : Manager. They suspect the driver is not being completely removed when I do
> : the uninstall. This could be due to corrupted files. There response is that
> : I should "Please contact Microsoft for assistance to completely uninstall the
> : drivers".
> :
> : How can I correct this setup and remove this driver?
> : --
> : Bob

...winston

Re: Remove NVIDIA Drivers
Since Add-remove won't work, the only other route without editing the registry is removing the driver for the current card, shutdown, reinstalling the earlier card, boot, reinstalling the software that installed Nview, then use add remove, restart to verify its gone. Shut down, install the new card, ignore all options and prompts to install Vista provided drivers or any via Windows updates and install the latest or earlier Nvidia site available Vista driver.

If it still doesn't work I don't know of any other way to remove Nview without editing the registry or clean installing Vista again to a blank partition or unallocated space.

Nvidia site may offer some help or your video card manufacturer.
..winston

"bobneedshelp" <bobneedshelp@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:777C3852-ED2C-4E82-93FA-43BE70F67B4D@microsoft.com...
:I did a new install of Vista (not an upgrade). The problem came in when I
: used the CD that came with the new video card. It was basically not
: compatible with Vista. I then went to the NVIDIA web site and loaded the
: newest drivers.
: --
: Bob
:
:
: "...winston" wrote:
:
: > Was Vista installed as an upgrade over XP that was using the Fx5200 driver and the nView desktop manager ?
: >
[...]
: > :
[...]
: > : --
: > : Bob
: >
bobneedshelp

Re: Remove NVIDIA Drivers
I'll give it a try, but I don't think that will work. It appears the issue
is that the Windows Drivers given by NVIDIA are for XP and are incompatible
with VISTA. I'm pretty sure that NVIEW software can't be removed as
suggested but it is worth a try.

Any idea what to change in the registry? Is there any programs to help
remove bad video driver installs?

--
Bob

"...winston" wrote:

> [...]
> : > : these are Windows XP drivers, not Vista drivers.
> : > :
> : > : I also booted in safe mode, uninstalled the current driver, restarted in
> : > : safe mode and installed the latest driver 158.24.
> : > :
> : > : According to NVIDIA, this is not the regular behavior of the driver. When
> : > : you uninstall the driver, you will not have the control panel or the Desktop
> : > : Manager. They suspect the driver is not being completely removed when I do
> : > : the uninstall. This could be due to corrupted files. There response is that
> : > : I should "Please contact Microsoft for assistance to completely uninstall the
> : > : drivers".
> : > :
> : > : How can I correct this setup and remove this driver?

...winston

Re: Remove NVIDIA Drivers
Sorry, no other ideas beyond what has already been submitted.
Imo, you'll have a more stable system by starting over using a clean install with your full version Vista. You may have to activate by phone.
..winston

"bobneedshelp" <bobneedshelp@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:F1265859-5DBA-4BAD-89D2-24AABE6173F0@microsoft.com...
: I'll give it a try, but I don't think that will work. It appears the issue
: is that the Windows Drivers given by NVIDIA are for XP and are incompatible
: with VISTA. I'm pretty sure that NVIEW software can't be removed as
: suggested but it is worth a try.
:
: Any idea what to change in the registry? Is there any programs to help
: remove bad video driver installs?

presting

Re: Remove NVIDIA Drivers

"...winston" wrote:

> Sorry, no other ideas beyond what has already been submitted.
> Imo, you'll have a more stable system by starting over using a clean install with your full version Vista. You may have to activate by phone.
> ..winston
>
> "bobneedshelp" <bobneedshelp@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:F1265859-5DBA-4BAD-89D2-24AABE6173F0@microsoft.com...
> : I'll give it a try, but I don't think that will work. It appears the issue
> : is that the Windows Drivers given by NVIDIA are for XP and are incompatible
> : with VISTA. I'm pretty sure that NVIEW software can't be removed as
> : suggested but it is worth a try.
> :
> : Any idea what to change in the registry? Is there any programs to help
> : remove bad video driver installs?

presting

Re: Remove NVIDIA Drivers

(oops - sorry about the other blank reply)

There is a useful web site for video topics at http://www.guru3d.com/

Several different clean-out utilities are posted there , along with
instructions and comments for using them.

Disclaimer - I have tried them and they seem to work as intended, but I did
end up re-installing Vista...

Bet,
Ken