Problems upgrading

gmeans

Problems upgrading
I'm trying to upgrade from XP Home to Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I've run the
Upgrade Advisor several times and it always tells me that there are no
issues. It does tell me that the drivers for the ethernet adapter and the
sound card need to be updated once Vista installs.

I've tried both upgrade-in-place and a clean install. It goes through the
entire install, indicates that it is starting Vista for the first time, and
then I get a screen that says the installation failed. There is no specific
error code that I can see.

I have turned off all virus protection and pop-up blockers and enabled
cookies. It always restores everything back to the pre-install state. What am
I doing wrong? What should I try next?
Rick Rogers

Re: Problems upgrading
Hi,

Either remove the ethernet and sound cards or disable them in the system
BIOS to see if they are the problem. Same goes for any other connected
peripherals that are not essential (like printers).

Have you verifed compatibility of the system with the manufacturer or
motherboard maker? The advisor can only report on what it knows of, it may
not be aware of any system specific incompatibilities (there are literally
millions of possible combinations of hardware). Some require a BIOS update
for compatibility, some simply are not capable due to the nature of the
hardware.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"gmeans" <gmeans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to upgrade from XP Home to Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I've run the
> Upgrade Advisor several times and it always tells me that there are no
> issues. It does tell me that the drivers for the ethernet adapter and the
> sound card need to be updated once Vista installs.
>
> I've tried both upgrade-in-place and a clean install. It goes through the
> entire install, indicates that it is starting Vista for the first time,
> and
> then I get a screen that says the installation failed. There is no
> specific
> error code that I can see.
>
> I have turned off all virus protection and pop-up blockers and enabled
> cookies. It always restores everything back to the pre-install state. What
> am
> I doing wrong? What should I try next?

glenn banania

nvidia drivers
I'm trying to upgrade from XP Home to Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I've run the
Upgrade Advisor several times and it always tells me that there are no
issues. It does tell me that the drivers for the ethernet adapter and the
sound card need to be updated once Vista installs.

I've tried both upgrade-in-place and a clean install. It goes through the
entire install, indicates that it is starting Vista for the first time, and
then I get a screen that says the installation failed. There is no specific
error code that I can see.

gmean wrote:

Problems upgrading
07-Jun-07

I'm trying to upgrade from XP Home to Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I've run the
Upgrade Advisor several times and it always tells me that there are no
issues. It does tell me that the drivers for the ethernet adapter and the
sound card need to be updated once Vista installs.

I've tried both upgrade-in-place and a clean install. It goes through the
entire install, indicates that it is starting Vista for the first time, and
then I get a screen that says the installation failed. There is no specific
error code that I can see.

I have turned off all virus protection and pop-up blockers and enabled
cookies. It always restores everything back to the pre-install state. What am
I doing wrong? What should I try next?

Getting PC information
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...formation.aspx
LVTravel

Re: nvidia drivers

"glenn banania" wrote in message news:20091069938ghie15_glenn@yahoo.com...
> I'm trying to upgrade from XP Home to Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I've run the
> Upgrade Advisor several times and it always tells me that there are no
> issues. It does tell me that the drivers for the ethernet adapter and the
> sound card need to be updated once Vista installs.
>
> I've tried both upgrade-in-place and a clean install. It goes through the
> entire install, indicates that it is starting Vista for the first time,
> and
> then I get a screen that says the installation failed. There is no
> specific
> error code that I can see.
>

> gmean wrote:
>
> Problems upgrading
> 07-Jun-07
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from XP Home to Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I've run the
> Upgrade Advisor several times and it always tells me that there are no
> issues. It does tell me that the drivers for the ethernet adapter and the
> sound card need to be updated once Vista installs.
>
> I've tried both upgrade-in-place and a clean install. It goes through the
> entire install, indicates that it is starting Vista for the first time,
> and
> then I get a screen that says the installation failed. There is no
> specific
> error code that I can see.
>
> I have turned off all virus protection and pop-up blockers and enabled
> cookies. It always restores everything back to the pre-install state. What
> am
> I doing wrong? What should I try next?

> Getting PC information
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...formation.aspx

Go to the manufacturer's web site, either computer or component, and
download the latest drivers for those parts in question. Windows update for
drivers is one of the worst things you can do to your computer.

Without the exact wording of the error message/s you are receiving it is
hard to help diagnose further.