Windows Easy Transfer says migration failed

Martin1

Windows Easy Transfer says migration failed
Hi, I have tried several times to use easy transfer, and when it gets to
around 95% done on old computer, a message pops up on that screen that says
migration failed: access denied. I have firewalls off on both computers
(they are offline; I'm using a Belkin easy transfer cable.), and I turned off
user account control on the vista laptop. What else can I do? There is no
password protection on my old laptop either. thanks for any insights.

John Hanley

Re: Windows Easy Transfer says migration failed

"Martin1" <Martin1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsC9745D2-FE92-4C51-82DD-19797832A01F@microsoft.com...
> Hi, I have tried several times to use easy transfer, and when it gets to
> around 95% done on old computer, a message pops up on that screen that
> says
> migration failed: access denied. I have firewalls off on both computers
> (they are offline; I'm using a Belkin easy transfer cable.), and I turned
> off
> user account control on the vista laptop. What else can I do? There is
> no
> password protection on my old laptop either. thanks for any insights.

I elected to do my Easy Transfers in manageable batches, no more than about
500 GB of stuff at a time. That way it would be easier to isolate any
problem areas. There were a couple of files for which a warning message
appeared of the type that it couldn't transfer that particular file, did I
want to 'Try Again" or "Skip", which I skipped a couple and kept track of
the exceptions, none of which turned out to be important. I am always leery
of doing massive file transfers under any circumstances.

Martin1

Re: Windows Easy Transfer says migration failed
Thanks for the reply, John. I only had about 16 GB of data to transfer. It
didn't seem like much. But I'll try breaking that down into smaller chunks.
Thanks,
Martin

"John Hanley" wrote:

> "Martin1" <Martin1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsC9745D2-FE92-4C51-82DD-19797832A01F@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, I have tried several times to use easy transfer, and when it gets to
> > around 95% done on old computer, a message pops up on that screen that
> > says
> > migration failed: access denied. I have firewalls off on both computers
> > (they are offline; I'm using a Belkin easy transfer cable.), and I turned
> > off
> > user account control on the vista laptop. What else can I do? There is
> > no
> > password protection on my old laptop either. thanks for any insights.
> >

> I elected to do my Easy Transfers in manageable batches, no more than about
> 500 GB of stuff at a time. That way it would be easier to isolate any
> problem areas. There were a couple of files for which a warning message
> appeared of the type that it couldn't transfer that particular file, did I
> want to 'Try Again" or "Skip", which I skipped a couple and kept track of
> the exceptions, none of which turned out to be important. I am always leery
> of doing massive file transfers under any circumstances.

Dhaval Joshi

RE: Windows Easy Transfer says migration failed
Hi Martin,

Try deleting files that generate access denied messages and rerunning
migration.