Installing XP on system running Vista

Sher1411

Installing XP on system running Vista
I am currently running windows vista home premium on my HP. I need to
install XP in order to access a VPN website requierd for my job. What is the
best way to do this?
Rock

Re: Installing XP on system running Vista
"Sher1411" wrote
>I am currently running windows vista home premium on my HP. I need to
> install XP in order to access a VPN website requierd for my job. What is
> the
> best way to do this?

Is the computer capable of running XP? Some manufacturers for certain new
models are not providing XP drivers for it, so in that case XP can't be
installed successfully. Check on the HP website for XP drivers.

If it supports XP then here are a couple of links to get you started.

Install Windows XP in a Dual Boot with Pre-installed Windows Vista
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/about88231.html

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html

You can also search this and the other newsgroups for the many posts that
discuss this issue.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Computer Guru

Re: Installing XP on system running Vista
On Jun 7, 4:42 am, Sher1411 <Sher1...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I am currently running windows vista home premium on my HP. I need to
> install XP in order to access a VPN website requierd for my job. What is the
> best way to do this?

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Windows+XP should do the trick.

mikeyhsd

Re: Installing XP on system running Vista
you might look into using VPC2007 and running xp as a guest os in a virtual environment.

there are several gotchas in dual booting, the hottest one most people complain about is the lost restore points when booting back and forth.

you will need to install xp to a separate partition or drive.
it will screw up the visa boot loader replacing it with its own.
you can download and run VistaBootPro and use its options to restore the vista boot loader and create the dual boot.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Sher1411" <Sher1411@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D5B04A6-1DBF-473C-931C-185E01EEBC53@microsoft.com...
I am currently running windows vista home premium on my HP. I need to
install XP in order to access a VPN website requierd for my job. What is the
best way to do this?
Gordon Keenan

Re: Installing XP on system running Vista
Accessing a VPN website? What is the issue with accessing the site via vpn
on Vista? Should just work the same way as you would under Windows XP?

"Sher1411" <Sher1411@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am currently running windows vista home premium on my HP. I need to
> install XP in order to access a VPN website requierd for my job. What is
> the
> best way to do this?

Sher1411

Re: Installing XP on system running Vista
The problem is that it is a government VPN site and the Government hasn't
tested or approved Vista with it's software. Like usual they are behind the
rest of the world.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it and I will try to get this up and running.
--
Sheryll