XP reinstall under Vista?

Carl

XP reinstall under Vista?
I am running XP on my C drive and using Vista upgrade disk installed Vista
on my D drive. I need to do a clean install of XP back on the C drive. Can I
do this without messing up Vista? Thanks Carl

John Barnes

Re: XP reinstall under Vista?
Since you used your XP as the basis for an upgrade, you no longer have a
license to run XP

"Carl" <cwebster@NO.blazenetme.SPAM.net> wrote in message
>I am running XP on my C drive and using Vista upgrade disk installed Vista
>on my D drive. I need to do a clean install of XP back on the C drive. Can
>I do this without messing up Vista? Thanks Carl

Carl

Re: XP reinstall under Vista?
Now that just sucks. I own both but I may not be able to use both?
> Since you used your XP as the basis for an upgrade, you no longer have a
> license to run XP
>
> "Carl" <cwebster@NO.blazenetme.SPAM.net> wrote in message
>>I am running XP on my C drive and using Vista upgrade disk installed Vista
>>on my D drive. I need to do a clean install of XP back on the C drive. Can
>>I do this without messing up Vista? Thanks Carl

...winston

Re: XP reinstall under Vista?
If you used an upgrade cd of Vista instead of a full version cd, the upgrade version subsumed(I never really liked that word and imo its a poor choice by definition) or replaces/nullifies the use of the prior version.
In simpler terms. Use of an upgrade version of Vista on the same machine replaces the license and ability to use the XP version on that same or another machine.

...winston

: "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
: news:%238fRRXGqHHA.3892@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
: > Since you used your XP as the basis for an upgrade, you no longer have a
: > license to run XP
: >
: > "Carl" <cwebster@NO.blazenetme.SPAM.net> wrote in message
: > news:00C5F885-4052-4DC7-9887-6C6B071CB2F8@microsoft.com...
: >>I am running XP on my C drive and using Vista upgrade disk installed Vista
: >>on my D drive. I need to do a clean install of XP back on the C drive. Can
: >>I do this without messing up Vista? Thanks Carl
: >
:
John Barnes

Re: XP reinstall under Vista?
You don't own anything. You had a license to use XP which by purchasing the
less expensive upgrade version of Vista, you agreed to no longer have.
13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the
software that is eligible
for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the
agreement for the software
you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you
upgraded from.

"Carl" <cwebster@NO.blazenetme.SPAM.net> wrote in message
> Now that just sucks. I own both but I may not be able to use both?
> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> Since you used your XP as the basis for an upgrade, you no longer have a
>> license to run XP
>>
>> "Carl" <cwebster@NO.blazenetme.SPAM.net> wrote in message
>>>I am running XP on my C drive and using Vista upgrade disk installed
>>>Vista on my D drive. I need to do a clean install of XP back on the C
>>>drive. Can I do this without messing up Vista? Thanks Carl

Rock

Re: XP reinstall under Vista?
"Carl" wrote
>I am running XP on my C drive and using Vista upgrade disk installed Vista
>on my D drive. I need to do a clean install of XP back on the C drive. Can
>I do this without messing up Vista? Thanks Carl

Read the Vista license. The license for the OS that was used as the
qualifying version to use an upgrade version of Vista is subsumed into the
Vista license. They become one. Therefore both cannot be installed. It's
one or the other. This was the same with an upgrade license for XP going
from Win95/98/ME/2000. That's why the upgrade version is cheaper than the
full version.

To dual boot with an upgrade version of Vista you need two licenses for XP,
one for the qualifying OS and one for the dual boot.

With only one license for XP you need a full version of Vista.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Carl

Re: XP reinstall under Vista?
Vista has turned out to be a bad idea for me and just a waste of money for
none of the cameras will work with it and some of the other software doesn't
install or work. Microsoft has just turned me off and I tell everyone to
just stay away. Looks like they are controlling the world. As of now I have
a duel boot and will have to dump Vista and look into Linux.
"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Carl" wrote
>>I am running XP on my C drive and using Vista upgrade disk installed Vista
>>on my D drive. I need to do a clean install of XP back on the C drive. Can
>>I do this without messing up Vista? Thanks Carl

> Read the Vista license. The license for the OS that was used as the
> qualifying version to use an upgrade version of Vista is subsumed into the
> Vista license. They become one. Therefore both cannot be installed.
> It's one or the other. This was the same with an upgrade license for XP
> going from Win95/98/ME/2000. That's why the upgrade version is cheaper
> than the full version.
>
> To dual boot with an upgrade version of Vista you need two licenses for
> XP, one for the qualifying OS and one for the dual boot.
>
> With only one license for XP you need a full version of Vista.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

John Barnes

Re: XP reinstall under Vista?
If you uninstall Vista you can use your license to run XP. Go for Linux if
you want, but you are just hurting yourself. When the drivers and software
you want or need is working with Vista, you can reinstall and delete XP.
There is always some software that won't ever work with a new OS and some
drivers will never be updated. You will find the same with Linux.

> You don't own anything. You had a license to use XP which by purchasing
> the less expensive upgrade version of Vista, you agreed to no longer have.
> 13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the
> software that is eligible
> for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the
> agreement for the software
> you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software
> you upgraded from.
>
> "Carl" <cwebster@NO.blazenetme.SPAM.net> wrote in message
>> Now that just sucks. I own both but I may not be able to use both?
>> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>>> Since you used your XP as the basis for an upgrade, you no longer have a
>>> license to run XP

Carl

Re: XP reinstall under Vista?
You are right about Linux and I have had Mandrake in the past but never got
good with it. How long can I continue to use Vista with XP duel booting as I
am now??
> If you uninstall Vista you can use your license to run XP. Go for Linux
> if you want, but you are just hurting yourself. When the drivers and
> software you want or need is working with Vista, you can reinstall and
> delete XP. There is always some software that won't ever work with a new
> OS and some drivers will never be updated. You will find the same with
> Linux.
>
> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> You don't own anything. You had a license to use XP which by purchasing
>> the less expensive upgrade version of Vista, you agreed to no longer
>> have.
>> 13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the
>> software that is eligible
>> for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the
>> agreement for the software
>> you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software
>> you upgraded from.
>>
>> "Carl" <cwebster@NO.blazenetme.SPAM.net> wrote in message
>>> Now that just sucks. I own both but I may not be able to use both?

John Barnes

Re: XP reinstall under Vista?
You are already in violation of your license. Guess it is up to your own
sense of honour. I personally would uninstall Vista, but both will probably
work indefinitely.