Vista loads with BSOD and reboots endless cycle

KhShanus

Vista loads with BSOD and reboots endless cycle
I installed Vista on a laptop and it BSOD and then reboots, the BSOD appears
for only a second , which is not enough time for me to see what the error is
and then reboots... I can't currently launch windows , but can i boot off a
cd and change a setting to allow the BSOD to appear on the screen so i can
see what it says?

Any help would be great..

thanks
Kerry Brown

Re: Vista loads with BSOD and reboots endless cycle
"KhShanus" <KhShanus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed Vista on a laptop and it BSOD and then reboots, the BSOD
>appears
> for only a second , which is not enough time for me to see what the error
> is
> and then reboots... I can't currently launch windows , but can i boot off
> cd and change a setting to allow the BSOD to appear on the screen so i can
> see what it says?
>
> Any help would be great..
>
> thanks

As soon as you turn on the computer start pressing the F8 key as if you were
going to boot to safe mode. When you get the startup menu pick
"Disable automatic restart on system failure".

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

KhShanus

Re: Vista loads with BSOD and reboots endless cycle
thanks Kerry!

I am not sure if you play with .wim files and BDD2007 , but we have some
Dell Latitude D620's that i made a custom .wim for, and since I thought Vista
was HAL independent I could use the same image for Dell Latitude D630, but i
get the BSOD on the machine..
I didnt know if you could assist in troubleshooting..

thanks

> thanks Kerry!
>
> I am not sure if you play with .wim files and BDD2007 , but we have some
> Dell Latitude D620's that i made a custom .wim for, and since I thought
> Vista
> was HAL independent I could use the same image for Dell Latitude D630, but
> get the BSOD on the machine..
> I didnt know if you could assist in troubleshooting..

I haven't played with wim files since the beta of Vista. Post the BSOD. It
may give us a clue as to what is happening. Are you using the WAIK?

Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca

Hatfira

Re: Vista loads with BSOD and reboots endless cycle

I just got the same issue done by creating the same steps: I created a
custom Vista WIM, imported the WIM, deployed it to a 630 using BDD, and
got the continual BSOD/Reboot loop. Using the trick here (I forgot that
one! ) I see that it's a 7B error. 7B errors always indicate that
the system is looking for a base-level driver (such as HDD controller)
that it cannot find and cannot boot without.

I am going to do some research to see if I can determine why this is
happening. If I can find a solution, I will post it here.

The plan of attack is to go to Dell's website and download all the
drivers that make sense for this model to see if I can determine which
one is causing my issue. I know that the machine works with Vista
since it says so right on the sticker, and sticker's don't lie?
right??? (Seriously, it came loaded with Vista, so I know it
WORKS... It's just HOW that's the question.)

Good luck!

--
Hatfira
Hatfira's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=28833

http://forums.techarena.in

Hatfira

Re: Vista loads with BSOD and reboots endless cycle

I just tried what I recommended in my previouis post. This worked.
Specifically, I grabbed the SATA drivers and the Chipset drivers. (I
also grabbed video and a couple of other things as well, just to be
sure.)

If you download these drivers and add them to your OOB drivers for
BDD2007, you should be able to image the box successfully.

Note: I did NOT recreate my image. It is the exact same WIM I used
before. I just added the drivers.

Good luck!

--
Hatfira
Hatfira's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=28833
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=760289

http://forums.techarena.in

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista loads with BSOD and reboots endless cycle
That the beauty of .WIM files. You can add drivers directly to the image
rather than adding them to the computer and recreating the image.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User