Trying to setup up duel OS

Vista Frustrated

Trying to setup up duel OS
Having difficulties with new Vista desktop system. I would like to add
Windows XP as a duel OS to choose when booting. Is it possible to add a
lower OS to Vista? If so, please send detailed steps.
Kerry Brown

Re: Trying to setup up duel OS
"Vista Frustrated" <Vista Frustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2C2D7169-45D5-44B2-ADA0-F530FC936319@microsoft.com...
> Having difficulties with new Vista desktop system. I would like to add
> Windows XP as a duel OS to choose when booting. Is it possible to add a
> lower OS to Vista? If so, please send detailed steps.

Your favourite search engine can often help with questions like this.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...e+Search&meta=

The second link in the search has step by step instructions.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Vista Frustrated

Re: Trying to setup up duel OS
Is there a way to turn off "windows cannot install the older version"

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Vista Frustrated" <Vista Frustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:2C2D7169-45D5-44B2-ADA0-F530FC936319@microsoft.com...
> > Having difficulties with new Vista desktop system. I would like to add
> > Windows XP as a duel OS to choose when booting. Is it possible to add a
> > lower OS to Vista? If so, please send detailed steps.

> Your favourite search engine can often help with questions like this.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...e+Search&meta=
>
> The second link in the search has step by step instructions.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Richard G. Harper

Re: Trying to setup up duel OS
Yep, follow the instructions from one of the results from the search Kerry
gave you.

"Vista Frustrated" <VistaFrustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:02850A7A-5B33-4C5F-9B05-C456B99D7534@microsoft.com...
> Is there a way to turn off "windows cannot install the older version"

Kerry Brown

Re: Trying to setup up duel OS
"Vista Frustrated" <VistaFrustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:02850A7A-5B33-4C5F-9B05-C456B99D7534@microsoft.com...
> Is there a way to turn off "windows cannot install the older version"

Yes, follow the instructions. If you are getting that message you are trying
to perform an upgrade from Vista to XP which will not work.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

GreenieLeBrun

Re: Trying to setup up duel OS
"Vista Frustrated" <Vista Frustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2C2D7169-45D5-44B2-ADA0-F530FC936319@microsoft.com...
> Having difficulties with new Vista desktop system. I would like to add
> Windows XP as a duel OS to choose when booting. Is it possible to add a
> lower OS to Vista? If so, please send detailed steps.

You may like to consider Virtual PC

Microsoft Virtual PC
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

Rock

Re: Trying to setup up duel OS
"Vista Frustrated" wrote
> Having difficulties with new Vista desktop system. I would like to add
> Windows XP as a duel OS to choose when booting. Is it possible to add a
> lower OS to Vista? If so, please send detailed steps.

You've multiposted this same message in several newsgroups, that is sending
separate messages to each group. Next time please, if sending to more than
one group, do it by crossposting, sending one message to all groups at the
same time. Otherwise there is duplication of effort and folks in one
newsgroup don't get to see the replies in another one. I replied in
vista.general with specific info and links.

Thanks.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Vista Frustrated

Re: Trying to setup up duel OS
I followed the instructions and the Windows installation starts but, then I
get a "A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent
damage to your computer..." STOP: 0x0000007b (0xf78d2524, 0xc0000034,
0x00000000, 0x00000000) error. Can anyone help me with this one??? Thanks!

"Vista Frustrated" wrote:

> Is there a way to turn off "windows cannot install the older version"
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
> > "Vista Frustrated" <Vista Frustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:2C2D7169-45D5-44B2-ADA0-F530FC936319@microsoft.com...
> > > Having difficulties with new Vista desktop system. I would like to add
> > > Windows XP as a duel OS to choose when booting. Is it possible to add a
> > > lower OS to Vista? If so, please send detailed steps.

> > Your favourite search engine can often help with questions like this.
> >
> > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...e+Search&meta=
> >
> > The second link in the search has step by step instructions.
> >
> > --
> > Kerry Brown
> > Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> > http://www.vistahelp.ca

Rock

Re: Trying to setup up duel OS
"Vista Frustrated" <VistaFrustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>I followed the instructions and the Windows installation starts but, then I
> get a "A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to
> prevent
> damage to your computer..." STOP: 0x0000007b (0xf78d2524, 0xc0000034,
> 0x00000000, 0x00000000) error. Can anyone help me with this one???
> Thanks!

<snip>

You're talking about installing XP? If so start here:
http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm
0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Also do Google web and group searches on the error.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Need help loading XP

Re: Trying to setup up duel OS
Rock: You wrote below to "Vista Frustrated": "I replied in vista.general
with specific info and links." Can you provide a link? I can't find that
post.

Also, should I be considering "Microsoft Virtual PC 2007"? I hadn't heard
of it before today (see GreenieLeBrun's post, above, and
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx),
but it appears to be designed to help me do what I am trying to do.

Background: I have a Dell with Vista factory-loaded that I want to load XP
on to (without unloading Vista), in the simplest and most-fool-proof way.
The computer is my 15-year old's -- our old printers are incompatible with
Vista so she can't print out her homework, and she has some old very simple
games she likes that aren't Vista-compatible. She only uses the computer for
internet access, her homework, and a few games. Nothing fancy, so I want to
avoid a sophisticated solution that'll get us into trouble down the line.