Vista compatabilty

Ben

Vista compatabilty
Why is vista not compatible with many programs?

I have tried to install musicmatch jukebox which is to connect my jukebox to
my pc but i get a message saying vista has compatability issues with the
software!

Could anybody help or Know any alernatives?
Peter

Re: Vista compatabilty
It's not a question of Vista making itself compatible with software, it's a
quation of why aren't the software manufacturers making their software
compatible with Vista. Ask Musicmatch why, they have Technical Support
section. Have you tried clicking on the application and running in
compatibility mode with XP SP2?

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"Ben" <Ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why is vista not compatible with many programs?
>
> I have tried to install musicmatch jukebox which is to connect my jukebox
> my pc but i get a message saying vista has compatability issues with the
> software!
>
> Could anybody help or Know any alernatives?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Vista compatabilty
Actually, Ben, it is the 'programs' that are not compatible with Vista, not
the other way around. Many software developer's don't even bother testing
their products on a new operating system until it is finally released; there
is then a mad panic to get updates available as quickly as possible to help
solve the problem. If you program has compatibility issues with Vista then
the program developer has either created a free patch to help it become
compatible or they have bought out a newer version of the program that they
want you to buy.
There are perhaps three options:

1/ Check the program developers website to see if there is an upgrade/newer
program
2/ If no upgrade or newer program is available you could try installing in
compatibility mode (doesn't always work, but worth a try). Locate the
programs setup.exe file and right click on it. From the drop down menu,
select Properties. In the properties box click the compatibility tab. In the
compatibility mode section place a tick in the box next to the 'run this
program in compatibility mode for' option. From the box beneath this option
select Windows XP (Service pack 2) and then click OK. Now try installing the
program again.
3/ If it still doesn't work you are either going to have to forget about it
or create a dual boot system to run windows XP and Vista. Of course you will
have to boot to XP every time you want to use that particular application.
Alternatively, you could try virtual machine software such as Virtual PC
2007 (free). However you must have a good amount of memory 1.5 to 2GB or
more on your Vista machine to run a virtual machine from within Vista. You
can then install windows XP on the virtual machine and also install the
programs that don't work on Vista.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Ben" <Ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why is vista not compatible with many programs?
>
> I have tried to install musicmatch jukebox which is to connect my jukebox
> my pc but i get a message saying vista has compatability issues with the
> software!
>
> Could anybody help or Know any alernatives?

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista compatabilty
Ben

Some programs include OS identifiers in the installation procedure.. which
can serve two purposes..

Either the program author is making sure that his program will not run
because any OS other than the one specified does not have the necessary
coding to run the entire program and will screw up..

Or, the program author wants you to buy a new version in the event that a
new OS is released..

The really sneaky ones have a two part installation setup where the user
can/could set the installation to be run in compatibility mode, but will get
caught out because the second part of the installation can't be intercepted
in the same way..

Or, the program is badly written, utilizing 'iffy' coding in an attempt to
make the program run better using loopholes in an older OS that have been
blocked/cleaned up in the newly released OS..

Ultimately (no pun intended), the hardware and OS are what have to lead the
way if anything is to progress at all, and all of the others have to play
catch-up..

"Ben" <Ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why is vista not compatible with many programs?
>
> I have tried to install musicmatch jukebox which is to connect my jukebox
> my pc but i get a message saying vista has compatability issues with the
> software!
>
> Could anybody help or Know any alernatives?

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Rock

Re: Vista compatabilty
"Ben" wrote
> Why is vista not compatible with many programs?
>
> I have tried to install musicmatch jukebox which is to connect my jukebox
> my pc but i get a message saying vista has compatability issues with the
> software!
>
> Could anybody help or Know any alernatives?

Yep MusicMatchJukeBox is not compatible. Don't even try to install it.
They were also bought out by Yahoo, and who knows what will happen to it.
So far I haven't seen any update to it for Vista Compatibility.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista compatabilty
http://music.yahoo.com/jukebox/

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Rock

Re: Vista compatabilty
"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote
> http://music.yahoo.com/jukebox/
>

> "Rock" wrote
>> "Ben" wrote
>>> Why is vista not compatible with many programs?
>>>
>>> I have tried to install musicmatch jukebox which is to connect my
>>> jukebox to
>>> my pc but i get a message saying vista has compatability issues with the
>>> software!
>>>
>>> Could anybody help or Know any alernatives?

>> Yep MusicMatchJukeBox is not compatible. Don't even try to install it.
>> They were also bought out by Yahoo, and who knows what will happen to it.
>> So far I haven't seen any update to it for Vista Compatibility.

Interesting that the system requirements they list say XP, not Vista, but by
grubbing around I found a link to an update page that indicates the Yahoo
Music Jukebox does run on Vista.

To the OP, see this. Looks like you can update to a version that runs on
Vista and they will refund the cost.
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mus.../update07.html

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]