Resizing C: drive which already has Vista installed

Gman4554

Resizing C: drive which already has Vista installed
I have one harddrive, with two partitions labeled Disk0, 24GB on C and 54G on D
C has Vista installed and D is free. The drive is a basic type.
After Vista installed, I am left with only 7GB on C.

How can I move or slide 24GB from D leaving 30GB on D and C will now have
31GB, which is plenty of space for Vista. Disk manager and Diskpart don't
work.

I downloaded boot program from terabyteunlimited.com but I don't really know
how to use it. How do I slide 24GB from D to C.

I don't want to corrupt Vista on C and if program did slide 24GB to C, will
I be able to boot into Vista.

tks,
Gman
AJR

Re: Resizing C: drive which already has Vista installed
You do not "slide" space from one HD (partition) to another. To resize
partition "C" there must be "unallocated space" (not free space) on "D".

Vista disk managment console provides for shrinking a volume - however Vista
disk management console does not provide for resizing the system or boot
partition.

You can generate some unallocated space on "D" by "shrinking" the partition
but would need a third party disk mnager to use the unallocated space to
resize "C".

Usually instructions provided with disk utilites are sufficient to execute
the program - however, based on your post, I would suggest help from a
knowledgeable friend, neighbor or co-worker.

"Gman4554" <Gman4554@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have one harddrive, with two partitions labeled Disk0, 24GB on C and 54G
>on D
> C has Vista installed and D is free. The drive is a basic type.
> After Vista installed, I am left with only 7GB on C.
>
> How can I move or slide 24GB from D leaving 30GB on D and C will now have
> 31GB, which is plenty of space for Vista. Disk manager and Diskpart don't
> work.
>
> I downloaded boot program from terabyteunlimited.com but I don't really
> know
> how to use it. How do I slide 24GB from D to C.
>
> I don't want to corrupt Vista on C and if program did slide 24GB to C,
> will
> I be able to boot into Vista.
>
> tks,
> Gman

JCO

Re: Resizing C: drive which already has Vista installed
I think Acronis Disk Director will do the job.
Not positive, but maybe somebody else can verify.

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> You do not "slide" space from one HD (partition) to another. To resize
> partition "C" there must be "unallocated space" (not free space) on "D".
>
> Vista disk managment console provides for shrinking a volume - however
> Vista disk management console does not provide for resizing the system or
> boot partition.
>
> You can generate some unallocated space on "D" by "shrinking" the
> partition but would need a third party disk mnager to use the unallocated
> space to resize "C".
>
> Usually instructions provided with disk utilites are sufficient to execute
> the program - however, based on your post, I would suggest help from a
> knowledgeable friend, neighbor or co-worker.
>
> "Gman4554" <Gman4554@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have one harddrive, with two partitions labeled Disk0, 24GB on C and 54G
>>on D
>> C has Vista installed and D is free. The drive is a basic type.
>> After Vista installed, I am left with only 7GB on C.
>>
>> How can I move or slide 24GB from D leaving 30GB on D and C will now have
>> 31GB, which is plenty of space for Vista. Disk manager and Diskpart don't
>> work.
>>
>> I downloaded boot program from terabyteunlimited.com but I don't really
>> know
>> how to use it. How do I slide 24GB from D to C.
>>
>> I don't want to corrupt Vista on C and if program did slide 24GB to C,
>> will
>> I be able to boot into Vista.
>>
>> tks,
>> Gman

Rock

Re: Resizing C: drive which already has Vista installed
"JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote
>I think Acronis Disk Director will do the job.
> Not positive, but maybe somebody else can verify.

> "AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote
>> You do not "slide" space from one HD (partition) to another. To resize
>> partition "C" there must be "unallocated space" (not free space) on "D".
>>
>> Vista disk managment console provides for shrinking a volume - however
>> Vista disk management console does not provide for resizing the system or
>> boot partition.
>>
>> You can generate some unallocated space on "D" by "shrinking" the
>> partition but would need a third party disk mnager to use the unallocated
>> space to resize "C".
>>
>> Usually instructions provided with disk utilites are sufficient to
>> execute the program - however, based on your post, I would suggest help
>> from a knowledgeable friend, neighbor or co-worker.

>> "Gman4554" wrote
>>>I have one harddrive, with two partitions labeled Disk0, 24GB on C and
>>>54G on D
>>> C has Vista installed and D is free. The drive is a basic type.
>>> After Vista installed, I am left with only 7GB on C.
>>>
>>> How can I move or slide 24GB from D leaving 30GB on D and C will now
>>> have
>>> 31GB, which is plenty of space for Vista. Disk manager and Diskpart
>>> don't
>>> work.
>>>
>>> I downloaded boot program from terabyteunlimited.com but I don't really
>>> know
>>> how to use it. How do I slide 24GB from D to C.
>>>
>>> I don't want to corrupt Vista on C and if program did slide 24GB to C,
>>> will
>>> I be able to boot into Vista.

Yes Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 works fine in Vista and will do what the
OP needs. So will BootIt NG which, I believe, is what the OP has.

To the OP, check on the Terabyte Unlimited web site for information on how
to use BootIt NG.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

PaulB

RE: Resizing C: drive which already has Vista installed
Hi,
If there is nothing on the D: patition you can use Disk Manger in Vista to
delete it thereby making unallocated space, Then using Disk Manager again to
extend C: as much as you want, Then create a new parttion (new d in the
remaining unallocated space. This all can be done with Vista's Disk Manager.
Be careful to delete just D:
--
Paul

"Gman4554" wrote:

> I have one harddrive, with two partitions labeled Disk0, 24GB on C and 54G on D
> C has Vista installed and D is free. The drive is a basic type.
> After Vista installed, I am left with only 7GB on C.
>
> How can I move or slide 24GB from D leaving 30GB on D and C will now have
> 31GB, which is plenty of space for Vista. Disk manager and Diskpart don't
> work.
>
> I downloaded boot program from terabyteunlimited.com but I don't really know
> how to use it. How do I slide 24GB from D to C.
>
> I don't want to corrupt Vista on C and if program did slide 24GB to C, will
> I be able to boot into Vista.
>
> tks,
> Gman

John Barnes

Re: Resizing C: drive which already has Vista installed
Vista disk management console does allow for resizing the boot and system
volume(s) but there are more limitations than with a third party product
like BootItNG.