!!!Can't restore from the backup disks RC1 to VHB

Lowered Expectations

!!!Can't restore from the backup disks RC1 to VHB
I was on RC1 and on Beta before that. Several days before the RC1 timeout I
did make the required set of backup disks, to save all my programs, images
and other records. The disks do have the data on them.

Last night I did the VHB (upgrade) clean install.
PROBLEM: I cannot run the backup disks.

"Windows was not able to find any backup sets on F:\."

Well, I sure can find backup on F:\. by looking at "computer", drive F,
where it contains disck one of "WindowsImageBackup". 4.3 gb of data on
that first disk.

Vista Home Basic's restore says it cannot find the data.
What is wrong? I've lost my virtual life if I can't regain my data.
I did everything just as they and it asked. No go. Am ruined if Vista's
paid version has locked me from by property.

Can anyone give me repair tips?
I can obtain and share screenshots of anything that might be of help in
diagnosis.

--
Hapless, nonproficient, long-time windows user.
Nothing ever seems to work out of the box as promised.
peter

Re: !!!Can't restore from the backup disks RC1 to VHB
line 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...footnotes.mspx
peter
"Lowered Expectations" <LoweredExpectations@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:382F85F5-97FA-4D64-9857-E1BC2D6515CE@microsoft.com...
>I was on RC1 and on Beta before that. Several days before the RC1 timeout
> did make the required set of backup disks, to save all my programs, images
> and other records. The disks do have the data on them.
>
> Last night I did the VHB (upgrade) clean install.
> PROBLEM: I cannot run the backup disks.
>
> "Windows was not able to find any backup sets on F:\."
>
> Well, I sure can find backup on F:\. by looking at "computer", drive F,
> where it contains disck one of "WindowsImageBackup". 4.3 gb of data on
> that first disk.
>
> Vista Home Basic's restore says it cannot find the data.
> What is wrong? I've lost my virtual life if I can't regain my data.
> I did everything just as they and it asked. No go. Am ruined if Vista's
> paid version has locked me from by property.
>
> Can anyone give me repair tips?
> I can obtain and share screenshots of anything that might be of help in
> diagnosis.
>

> --
> Hapless, nonproficient, long-time windows user.
> Nothing ever seems to work out of the box as promised.
> Vista continues the tradition of "expect another disappointment"

Rock

Re: !!!Can't restore from the backup disks RC1 to VHB
"Lowered Expectations" wrote
>I was on RC1 and on Beta before that. Several days before the RC1 timeout
> did make the required set of backup disks, to save all my programs, images
> and other records. The disks do have the data on them.
>
> Last night I did the VHB (upgrade) clean install.
> PROBLEM: I cannot run the backup disks.
>
> "Windows was not able to find any backup sets on F:\."
>
> Well, I sure can find backup on F:\. by looking at "computer", drive F,
> where it contains disck one of "WindowsImageBackup". 4.3 gb of data on
> that first disk.
>
> Vista Home Basic's restore says it cannot find the data.
> What is wrong? I've lost my virtual life if I can't regain my data.
> I did everything just as they and it asked. No go. Am ruined if Vista's
> paid version has locked me from by property.
>
> Can anyone give me repair tips?
> I can obtain and share screenshots of anything that might be of help in
> diagnosis.

Vista Home Basic doesn't have Complete PC Backup, so it can't restore from
those files. It's only available in Business, Enterprise and Ultimate. RC1
was Ultimate.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

JW

Re: !!!Can't restore from the backup disks RC1 to VHB
See if by resetting your system clock to last week if you can restore or see
RC1. If yes then back up your user documents and user files separately.
Backing up all of RC1 itself is no help unless you can see the individual
document folders contained within it from Vista RTM since RC1 has expired.
"Lowered Expectations" <LoweredExpectations@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:382F85F5-97FA-4D64-9857-E1BC2D6515CE@microsoft.com...
>I was on RC1 and on Beta before that. Several days before the RC1 timeout
> did make the required set of backup disks, to save all my programs, images
> and other records. The disks do have the data on them.
>
> Last night I did the VHB (upgrade) clean install.
> PROBLEM: I cannot run the backup disks.
>
> "Windows was not able to find any backup sets on F:\."
>
> Well, I sure can find backup on F:\. by looking at "computer", drive F,
> where it contains disck one of "WindowsImageBackup". 4.3 gb of data on
> that first disk.
>
> Vista Home Basic's restore says it cannot find the data.
> What is wrong? I've lost my virtual life if I can't regain my data.
> I did everything just as they and it asked. No go. Am ruined if Vista's
> paid version has locked me from by property.
>
> Can anyone give me repair tips?
> I can obtain and share screenshots of anything that might be of help in
> diagnosis.
>

> --
> Hapless, nonproficient, long-time windows user.
> Nothing ever seems to work out of the box as promised.
> Vista continues the tradition of "expect another disappointment"

Nepatsfan

Re: !!!Can't restore from the backup disks RC1 to VHB
In news:382F85F5-97FA-4D64-9857-E1BC2D6515CE@microsoft.com,
Lowered Expectations
<LoweredExpectations@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I was on RC1 and on Beta before that. Several days before
> the RC1
> timeout I did make the required set of backup disks, to save
> all my
> programs, images and other records. The disks do have the
> data on
> them.
>
> Last night I did the VHB (upgrade) clean install.
> PROBLEM: I cannot run the backup disks.
>
> "Windows was not able to find any backup sets on F:\."
>
> Well, I sure can find backup on F:\. by looking at
> "computer",
> drive F, where it contains disck one of "WindowsImageBackup".
> 4.3
> gb of data on that first disk.
>
> Vista Home Basic's restore says it cannot find the data.
> What is wrong? I've lost my virtual life if I can't regain
> my data.
> I did everything just as they and it asked. No go. Am
> ruined if
> Vista's paid version has locked me from by property.
>
> Can anyone give me repair tips?
> I can obtain and share screenshots of anything that might be
> of help
> in diagnosis.

This may be a long shot, but I'll pass it along anyway. If you
have a Vista installation DVD, you might want to try run a
clean installation again but this time don't enter the CD key.
Hit the Next button. Hit No when asked if you want to enter a
key. On the next screen, you can select to install Vista
Ultimate. This might allow you to recover your lost files.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Peter Foldes

Re: !!!Can't restore from the backup disks RC1 to VHB
Multiposted and answered in other groups . Not to the OP's liking but given.

--
Peter

"Lowered Expectations" <LoweredExpectations@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:382F85F5-97FA-4D64-9857-E1BC2D6515CE@microsoft.com...
>I was on RC1 and on Beta before that. Several days before the RC1 timeout I
> did make the required set of backup disks, to save all my programs, images
> and other records. The disks do have the data on them.
>
> Last night I did the VHB (upgrade) clean install.
> PROBLEM: I cannot run the backup disks.
>
> "Windows was not able to find any backup sets on F:\."
>
> Well, I sure can find backup on F:\. by looking at "computer", drive F,
> where it contains disck one of "WindowsImageBackup". 4.3 gb of data on
> that first disk.
>
> Vista Home Basic's restore says it cannot find the data.
> What is wrong? I've lost my virtual life if I can't regain my data.
> I did everything just as they and it asked. No go. Am ruined if Vista's
> paid version has locked me from by property.
>
> Can anyone give me repair tips?
> I can obtain and share screenshots of anything that might be of help in
> diagnosis.
>

> --
> Hapless, nonproficient, long-time windows user.
> Nothing ever seems to work out of the box as promised.
> Vista continues the tradition of "expect another disappointment"

danix803

Re: !!!Can't restore from the backup disks RC1 to VHB
I have the same problem... I have a DELL XPS 420 with a Maxtor 250GB ext hard
drive... I did a 'Complete PC Backup' to B: drive (The ext Maxtor)
Next, I rebooted and used the system repair from the boot menu... this
formated my hard drive and set everything back to the DELL factory
defaults... re-installing Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7, and all the
other DELL junk...
Now, I'd like to restore the computer to before the DELL repair... the files
are all still on the B: drive, I can see them there...
However, when I go to 'Restore files' -> 'Advanced restore' -> 'Warning -
Continue' -> only the 'Files from a backup made on a different computer.' is
enabled and already has a tick in the radio button -> 'Next' -> 'Looking for
backup devices...' -> I select B: drive -> and it tells me "Windows cannot
find an backup sets on the selected device"
--
Love is very patient and kind, never jealous or envious, never boastful or
proud, never haughty or selfish or rude. 1 Corinthians 13:4 - 8, 13

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Multiposted and answered in other groups . Not to the OP's liking but given.
>
> --
> Peter

> "Lowered Expectations" <LoweredExpectations@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:382F85F5-97FA-4D64-9857-E1BC2D6515CE@microsoft.com...
> >I was on RC1 and on Beta before that. Several days before the RC1 timeout I
> > did make the required set of backup disks, to save all my programs, images
> > and other records. The disks do have the data on them.
> >
> > Last night I did the VHB (upgrade) clean install.
> > PROBLEM: I cannot run the backup disks.
> >
> > "Windows was not able to find any backup sets on F:\."
> >
> > Well, I sure can find backup on F:\. by looking at "computer", drive F,
> > where it contains disck one of "WindowsImageBackup". 4.3 gb of data on
> > that first disk.
> >
> > Vista Home Basic's restore says it cannot find the data.
> > What is wrong? I've lost my virtual life if I can't regain my data.
> > I did everything just as they and it asked. No go. Am ruined if Vista's
> > paid version has locked me from by property.
> >
> > Can anyone give me repair tips?
> > I can obtain and share screenshots of anything that might be of help in
> > diagnosis.
> >

> > --
> > Hapless, nonproficient, long-time windows user.
> > Nothing ever seems to work out of the box as promised.
> > Vista continues the tradition of "expect another disappointment"

Curious

Re: !!!Can't restore from the backup disks RC1 to VHB
Are you using Live One Care for backup? If yes did you establish your
computer has part of a One Care Circle?
"danix803" <danix803@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem... I have a DELL XPS 420 with a Maxtor 250GB ext
>hard
> drive... I did a 'Complete PC Backup' to B: drive (The ext Maxtor)
> Next, I rebooted and used the system repair from the boot menu... this
> formated my hard drive and set everything back to the DELL factory
> defaults... re-installing Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7, and all the
> other DELL junk...
> Now, I'd like to restore the computer to before the DELL repair... the
> files
> are all still on the B: drive, I can see them there...
> However, when I go to 'Restore files' -> 'Advanced restore' -> 'Warning -
> Continue' -> only the 'Files from a backup made on a different computer.'
> is
> enabled and already has a tick in the radio button -> 'Next' -> 'Looking
> for
> backup devices...' -> I select B: drive -> and it tells me "Windows cannot
> find an backup sets on the selected device"
> --
> Love is very patient and kind, never jealous or envious, never boastful or
> proud, never haughty or selfish or rude. 1 Corinthians 13:4 - 8, 13
>

> "Peter Foldes" wrote:
>
>> Multiposted and answered in other groups . Not to the OP's liking but
>> given.
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "Lowered Expectations" <LoweredExpectations@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>> >I was on RC1 and on Beta before that. Several days before the RC1
>> >timeout I
>> > did make the required set of backup disks, to save all my programs,
>> > images
>> > and other records. The disks do have the data on them.
>> >
>> > Last night I did the VHB (upgrade) clean install.
>> > PROBLEM: I cannot run the backup disks.
>> >
>> > "Windows was not able to find any backup sets on F:\."
>> >
>> > Well, I sure can find backup on F:\. by looking at "computer", drive
>> > F,
>> > where it contains disck one of "WindowsImageBackup". 4.3 gb of data
>> > on
>> > that first disk.
>> >
>> > Vista Home Basic's restore says it cannot find the data.
>> > What is wrong? I've lost my virtual life if I can't regain my data.
>> > I did everything just as they and it asked. No go. Am ruined if
>> > Vista's
>> > paid version has locked me from by property.
>> >
>> > Can anyone give me repair tips?
>> > I can obtain and share screenshots of anything that might be of help in
>> > diagnosis.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Hapless, nonproficient, long-time windows user.
>> > Nothing ever seems to work out of the box as promised.
>> > Vista continues the tradition of "expect another disappointment"

danix803

Re: !!!Can't restore from the backup disks RC1 to VHB
Nope... I just used MS backup... Vista Ultimate...
Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Backup Status and
Configuration -> Complete PC Backup

Now it can't find the backup sets so it won't restore...
--

"Curious" wrote:

> Are you using Live One Care for backup? If yes did you establish your
> computer has part of a One Care Circle?
> "danix803" <danix803@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem... I have a DELL XPS 420 with a Maxtor 250GB ext
> >hard
> > drive... I did a 'Complete PC Backup' to B: drive (The ext Maxtor)
> > Next, I rebooted and used the system repair from the boot menu... this
> > formated my hard drive and set everything back to the DELL factory
> > defaults... re-installing Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7, and all the
> > other DELL junk...
> > Now, I'd like to restore the computer to before the DELL repair... the
> > files
> > are all still on the B: drive, I can see them there...
> > However, when I go to 'Restore files' -> 'Advanced restore' -> 'Warning -
> > Continue' -> only the 'Files from a backup made on a different computer.'
> > is
> > enabled and already has a tick in the radio button -> 'Next' -> 'Looking
> > for
> > backup devices...' -> I select B: drive -> and it tells me "Windows cannot
> > find an backup sets on the selected device"
> > --
> > Love is very patient and kind, never jealous or envious, never boastful or
> > proud, never haughty or selfish or rude. 1 Corinthians 13:4 - 8, 13
> >

> > "Peter Foldes" wrote:
> >
> >> Multiposted and answered in other groups . Not to the OP's liking but
> >> given.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Peter
> >>
> >> Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
> >> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
> >>
> >> "Lowered Expectations" <LoweredExpectations@discussions.microsoft.com>

danix803

UR NOT going to believe this !!!
I called MS about the problem. I was so frustrated after calling DELL and
posting my Vista Ultimate backup nightmares all over the internet. I decided
to call the MS help line. I was willing to pay $59.00 of my hard earned
dollars to have someone figure this out for me.
That didn't work either. They connected me to someone named Ashish
(1057602498). He told me that MS does not support Vista Ultimate Complete PC
backup. However, he said that he would try to help me anyway. In order for
him to help me I had to move backup set from my C: drive back to my ext
backup HD (B: drive). This was going to take over 45 mins. I told him that I
would have to call him back, because I was not going to wait on the phone for
45 mins with nothing to do. He said okay and we disconnected.
The file finished moving over. I figured that before I called him back I
would try one more experiment. I did one more complete PC backup, so that I
could compare the two backup sets.
This is the part that you are NOT going to believe. When I compared the two
backup sets all the files were in different locations. My first backup set
had NO, that rights ZERO, files in the computer's name folder.
I rearranged all the files from the first backup set in the identical
pattern of that established by the second backup set. I rebooted the comptuer
and BANG, CRASH, BOOM... F8 -> repair system -> complete system restore... if
found the backup sets...

My new moot question is... why would MS Vista Ultimate put my very first
backup set into the wrong folders??? I mean none of them were in the right
places... and all I did was drag them (entirely in the thier folders) from
one drive to another... I never moved any of them individually...
Second moot question... MS told me that DELL signed an agreement with them
stating that they would provide all the technical support for the products
that they bought from them, aka Vista... so, why doesn't DELL provide
technical support or any support for Vista Ultimate backup and restore???
Isn't that breaking thier agreement??? Why doesn't either of these companies
offer support for this product??? or at least why are they telling me that
they don't???