Vista Installation hangs

Bill Davis

Vista Installation hangs
I am trying to install Vista Ultimiate (for 4 hours now). The computer boots
from the CD and says Windows is loading files, I see the status bar moving
and it finally completes. Then the screen goes black and I see another
smaller status bar and the words Mcrosoft Corporation (Text is dimly lit) and
then it hangs on this screen, no hardisk activity, no DVD Drive activity.

I have tried changing setings in the BIOS but nothing has worked so far.

Setup
P5WD2-E Premium
Penitum D 930
2 GB RAM

Radeon 1900XTX
Hauppague PVR-150
Dvico Fusion Gold 5

SATA
3 Western Digital 500GB HDs
1 Segate 320 GB HD

IDE
2 DVD Burners

peter

Re: Vista Installation hangs
Are you installing onto IDE or SATA drive??
If SATA you will need the SATA VISTA drivers for your mobo SATA
chipset....right at the beginning of installation.."add drivers"

peter
"Bill Davis" <BillDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to install Vista Ultimiate (for 4 hours now). The computer
>boots
> from the CD and says Windows is loading files, I see the status bar moving
> and it finally completes. Then the screen goes black and I see another
> smaller status bar and the words Mcrosoft Corporation (Text is dimly lit)
> and
> then it hangs on this screen, no hardisk activity, no DVD Drive activity.
>
> I have tried changing setings in the BIOS but nothing has worked so far.
>
> Setup
> P5WD2-E Premium
> Penitum D 930
> 2 GB RAM
>
> Radeon 1900XTX
> Hauppague PVR-150
> Dvico Fusion Gold 5
>
> SATA
> 3 Western Digital 500GB HDs
> 1 Segate 320 GB HD
>
> IDE
> 2 DVD Burners

Bill Davis

Re: Vista Installation hangs
Peter

I am installing onto SATA drives (Marvell Controller) but I have never even
get far enough for the installation to even ask for any 3rd party drivers.

"peter" wrote:

> Are you installing onto IDE or SATA drive??
> If SATA you will need the SATA VISTA drivers for your mobo SATA
> chipset....right at the beginning of installation.."add drivers"
>
> peter
> "Bill Davis" <BillDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to install Vista Ultimiate (for 4 hours now). The computer
> >boots
> > from the CD and says Windows is loading files, I see the status bar moving
> > and it finally completes. Then the screen goes black and I see another
> > smaller status bar and the words Mcrosoft Corporation (Text is dimly lit)
> > and
> > then it hangs on this screen, no hardisk activity, no DVD Drive activity.
> >
> > I have tried changing setings in the BIOS but nothing has worked so far.
> >
> > Setup
> > P5WD2-E Premium
> > Penitum D 930
> > 2 GB RAM
> >
> > Radeon 1900XTX
> > Hauppague PVR-150
> > Dvico Fusion Gold 5
> >
> > SATA
> > 3 Western Digital 500GB HDs
> > 1 Segate 320 GB HD
> >
> > IDE
> > 2 DVD Burners

peter

Re: Vista Installation hangs
Is this a NEW installation...onto an empty HD??...or an upgrade over XP??
judging by where you get stuck its a new install ....
is this a 64 or 32 bit version of Ultimate.........64 bit needs to be
installed clean
the process does take a little longer than under XP but not 4 hours.
might I suggest you disconnect unnecesary hardware and try again.

> Peter
>
> I am installing onto SATA drives (Marvell Controller) but I have never
> even
> get far enough for the installation to even ask for any 3rd party drivers.
>
> "peter" wrote:
>
>> Are you installing onto IDE or SATA drive??
>> If SATA you will need the SATA VISTA drivers for your mobo SATA
>> chipset....right at the beginning of installation.."add drivers"
>>
>> peter
>> "Bill Davis" <BillDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to install Vista Ultimiate (for 4 hours now). The computer
>> >boots
>> > from the CD and says Windows is loading files, I see the status bar
>> > moving
>> > and it finally completes. Then the screen goes black and I see another
>> > smaller status bar and the words Mcrosoft Corporation (Text is dimly
>> > lit)
>> > and
>> > then it hangs on this screen, no hardisk activity, no DVD Drive
>> > activity.
>> >
>> > I have tried changing setings in the BIOS but nothing has worked so
>> > far.
>> >
>> > Setup
>> > P5WD2-E Premium
>> > Penitum D 930
>> > 2 GB RAM
>> >
>> > Radeon 1900XTX
>> > Hauppague PVR-150
>> > Dvico Fusion Gold 5
>> >
>> > SATA
>> > 3 Western Digital 500GB HDs
>> > 1 Segate 320 GB HD
>> >
>> > IDE
>> > 2 DVD Burners

Leigh

Re: Vista Installation hangs
I have exactly the same issue, after trailing the web for hours i have found
no solutions. I have even tried stripping my system to the bare minimum
hardware necessary to run and i still get the same result.
The only thing that i havn't tried (due to the fact of being sick of sitting
here for 13 hours banging my head agaisnt a wall) is the recomendation of
doing an upgrade from windows...and disabling all boot drives except the hard
drive from which Vista is being installed..
Current state of mind - desperate and furious at the situation.

"Bill Davis" wrote:

> Peter
>
> I am installing onto SATA drives (Marvell Controller) but I have never even
> get far enough for the installation to even ask for any 3rd party drivers.
>
> "peter" wrote:
>
> > Are you installing onto IDE or SATA drive??
> > If SATA you will need the SATA VISTA drivers for your mobo SATA
> > chipset....right at the beginning of installation.."add drivers"
> >
> > peter
> > "Bill Davis" <BillDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am trying to install Vista Ultimiate (for 4 hours now). The computer
> > >boots
> > > from the CD and says Windows is loading files, I see the status bar moving
> > > and it finally completes. Then the screen goes black and I see another
> > > smaller status bar and the words Mcrosoft Corporation (Text is dimly lit)
> > > and
> > > then it hangs on this screen, no hardisk activity, no DVD Drive activity.
> > >
> > > I have tried changing setings in the BIOS but nothing has worked so far.
> > >
> > > Setup
> > > P5WD2-E Premium
> > > Penitum D 930
> > > 2 GB RAM
> > >
> > > Radeon 1900XTX
> > > Hauppague PVR-150
> > > Dvico Fusion Gold 5
> > >
> > > SATA
> > > 3 Western Digital 500GB HDs
> > > 1 Segate 320 GB HD
> > >
> > > IDE
> > > 2 DVD Burners

Bill Davis

Re: Vista Installation hangs
Leigh

It is furstration, but I did find one thing. I was messing around in the
BIOS and I turned off all the IRQs 2 -14 I believe and then I got past
disk.sys problem, unfortunately when Vista did attempt to allow me to install
it I could find no drives because I assinged no IRQ to the SATA hub.

I am at the point where I have removed all PCI cards except for my PCI
express video card and renalabled all IRQ. I right now I am installing Vista
onto my other PC, whether it will work when the installion finishes is the
question?

If you haven't already tried remove the PCI cards and hopefully it will let
you install it.

I will post again if the installion is successful

Thanks

B.D.

"Leigh" wrote:

> I have exactly the same issue, after trailing the web for hours i have found
> no solutions. I have even tried stripping my system to the bare minimum
> hardware necessary to run and i still get the same result.
> The only thing that i havn't tried (due to the fact of being sick of sitting
> here for 13 hours banging my head agaisnt a wall) is the recomendation of
> doing an upgrade from windows...and disabling all boot drives except the hard
> drive from which Vista is being installed..
> Current state of mind - desperate and furious at the situation.
>
> "Bill Davis" wrote:
>
> > Peter
> >
> > I am installing onto SATA drives (Marvell Controller) but I have never even
> > get far enough for the installation to even ask for any 3rd party drivers.
> >
> > "peter" wrote:
> >
> > > Are you installing onto IDE or SATA drive??
> > > If SATA you will need the SATA VISTA drivers for your mobo SATA
> > > chipset....right at the beginning of installation.."add drivers"
> > >
> > > peter

Jason

Re: Vista Installation hangs
I am having the exact same issue. I installed Vista from the DVD (Ultimate 64
bit version) with no issues. Then I had some hardware issues, and I changed
my motherboard, but everything else is the same. Now when I try to intall
Vista (from the exact same DVD, in the exact same DVD drive) I get the same
issue you are having where it hangs on the black screen. If you come up with
anything please post a reply.

"Bill Davis" wrote:

> Leigh
>
> It is furstration, but I did find one thing. I was messing around in the
> BIOS and I turned off all the IRQs 2 -14 I believe and then I got past
> disk.sys problem, unfortunately when Vista did attempt to allow me to install
> it I could find no drives because I assinged no IRQ to the SATA hub.
>
> I am at the point where I have removed all PCI cards except for my PCI
> express video card and renalabled all IRQ. I right now I am installing Vista
> onto my other PC, whether it will work when the installion finishes is the
> question?
>
> If you haven't already tried remove the PCI cards and hopefully it will let
> you install it.
>
> I will post again if the installion is successful
>
> Thanks
>
> B.D.
>
> "Leigh" wrote:
>
> > I have exactly the same issue, after trailing the web for hours i have found
> > no solutions. I have even tried stripping my system to the bare minimum
> > hardware necessary to run and i still get the same result.
> > The only thing that i havn't tried (due to the fact of being sick of sitting
> > here for 13 hours banging my head agaisnt a wall) is the recomendation of
> > doing an upgrade from windows...and disabling all boot drives except the hard
> > drive from which Vista is being installed..
> > Current state of mind - desperate and furious at the situation.
> >
> > "Bill Davis" wrote:
> >
> > > Peter
> > >
> > > I am installing onto SATA drives (Marvell Controller) but I have never even
> > > get far enough for the installation to even ask for any 3rd party drivers.

Bill Davis

Re: Vista Installation hangs
Jason

I finally got it to work, I had to remove all of my PCI cards, once I did
that, I was able to get past the Black screen (which for me was disk.sys
driver not functioning properly). It appears that the Vista installer
thought one of my PCI cards was a raid controller when it was really a TV
tuner card. After the installation completes apply all the patches first,
then reinstall your PCI cards. Everything is now working 100%

Thanks

"Jason" wrote:

> I am having the exact same issue. I installed Vista from the DVD (Ultimate 64
> bit version) with no issues. Then I had some hardware issues, and I changed
> my motherboard, but everything else is the same. Now when I try to intall
> Vista (from the exact same DVD, in the exact same DVD drive) I get the same
> issue you are having where it hangs on the black screen. If you come up with
> anything please post a reply.
>
> "Bill Davis" wrote:
>
> > Leigh
> >
> > It is furstration, but I did find one thing. I was messing around in the
> > BIOS and I turned off all the IRQs 2 -14 I believe and then I got past
> > disk.sys problem, unfortunately when Vista did attempt to allow me to install
> > it I could find no drives because I assinged no IRQ to the SATA hub.
> >
> > I am at the point where I have removed all PCI cards except for my PCI
> > express video card and renalabled all IRQ. I right now I am installing Vista
> > onto my other PC, whether it will work when the installion finishes is the
> > question?
> >
> > If you haven't already tried remove the PCI cards and hopefully it will let
> > you install it.
> >
> > I will post again if the installion is successful
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > B.D.
> >
> > "Leigh" wrote:
> >
> > > I have exactly the same issue, after trailing the web for hours i have found
> > > no solutions. I have even tried stripping my system to the bare minimum
> > > hardware necessary to run and i still get the same result.
> > > The only thing that i havn't tried (due to the fact of being sick of sitting
> > > here for 13 hours banging my head agaisnt a wall) is the recomendation of
> > > doing an upgrade from windows...and disabling all boot drives except the hard
> > > drive from which Vista is being installed..
> > > Current state of mind - desperate and furious at the situation.

Leigh

Re: Vista Installation hangs
Glad to hear your success, unfortunately I dont use any PCI devices so the
battle goes on

"Bill Davis" wrote:

> Jason
>
> I finally got it to work, I had to remove all of my PCI cards, once I did
> that, I was able to get past the Black screen (which for me was disk.sys
> driver not functioning properly). It appears that the Vista installer
> thought one of my PCI cards was a raid controller when it was really a TV
> tuner card. After the installation completes apply all the patches first,
> then reinstall your PCI cards. Everything is now working 100%
>
> Thanks
>
> "Jason" wrote:
>
> > I am having the exact same issue. I installed Vista from the DVD (Ultimate 64
> > bit version) with no issues. Then I had some hardware issues, and I changed
> > my motherboard, but everything else is the same. Now when I try to intall
> > Vista (from the exact same DVD, in the exact same DVD drive) I get the same
> > issue you are having where it hangs on the black screen. If you come up with
> > anything please post a reply.
> >
> > "Bill Davis" wrote:
> >
> > > Leigh
> > >
> > > It is furstration, but I did find one thing. I was messing around in the
> > > BIOS and I turned off all the IRQs 2 -14 I believe and then I got past
> > > disk.sys problem, unfortunately when Vista did attempt to allow me to install
> > > it I could find no drives because I assinged no IRQ to the SATA hub.
> > >
> > > I am at the point where I have removed all PCI cards except for my PCI
> > > express video card and renalabled all IRQ. I right now I am installing Vista
> > > onto my other PC, whether it will work when the installion finishes is the
> > > question?
> > >
> > > If you haven't already tried remove the PCI cards and hopefully it will let
> > > you install it.
> > >
> > > I will post again if the installion is successful
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > B.D.

Jason

Re: Vista Installation hangs
I tried uninstalling my sound card (only pci device other than my video card)
as well as my USB card (which was connected directly to my motherboard). It
seems to have done something, as now when I get stuck at the black screen my
mouse pointer shows up, and I can move that as well as activate and
deactiviate my num and caps locks. However it still doesn't go beyond the
black screen.

I tried to disable my IRQs in BIOS, but then my computer wouldn't go beyond
the post.

I'm at a real loss here, Windows XP installed fine, but its 32 bit, and I
can't upgrade to Vista since my Vista CD is only the 64 bit version.