Vista System - Partition Harddrive

JCO

Vista System - Partition Harddrive
If I get a system that already has Vista pre-loaded (160GB HD), I want to
know if I can use Acronis Disk Administrator to partition the harddrive?
Once partitioned, will Vista run okay?

I also want to know if I can use Acronis TrueImage to image the OS for
storage (as a backup Image)?

I am aware that Vista comes with it's own Disk Administer that allows
resizing of partitions. I would like to stick with Acronis if possible.

Thanks

Dave

Re: Vista System - Partition Harddrive
yes, if you mean Acronis Disk Director.
yes, if you don't mess up the Vista partition.

"JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> If I get a system that already has Vista pre-loaded (160GB HD), I want to
> know if I can use Acronis Disk Administrator to partition the harddrive?
> Once partitioned, will Vista run okay?
>
> I also want to know if I can use Acronis TrueImage to image the OS for
> storage (as a backup Image)?
>
> I am aware that Vista comes with it's own Disk Administer that allows
> resizing of partitions. I would like to stick with Acronis if possible.
>
> Thanks

JCO

Re: Vista System - Partition Harddrive
What do you mean by messing up the Vista Partition?

What I want to do is split the partition and resize as I see fit using the
two products I mentioned (Acronis Disk Director & Acronis TrueImage ver 10).

"Dave" <dave@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> yes, if you mean Acronis Disk Director.
> yes, if you don't mess up the Vista partition.
>

> "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> If I get a system that already has Vista pre-loaded (160GB HD), I want to
>> know if I can use Acronis Disk Administrator to partition the harddrive?
>> Once partitioned, will Vista run okay?
>>
>> I also want to know if I can use Acronis TrueImage to image the OS for
>> storage (as a backup Image)?
>>
>> I am aware that Vista comes with it's own Disk Administer that allows
>> resizing of partitions. I would like to stick with Acronis if possible.
>>
>> Thanks

Dave

Re: Vista System - Partition Harddrive
Just kidding.... ;-)

I did the same with my wife's notebook. Only, it had XP on it, and I kept it
as a dual boot option.

> What do you mean by messing up the Vista Partition?
>
> What I want to do is split the partition and resize as I see fit using the
> two products I mentioned (Acronis Disk Director & Acronis TrueImage ver
> 10).
>

> "Dave" <dave@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> yes, if you mean Acronis Disk Director.
>> yes, if you don't mess up the Vista partition.
>>

>> "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>> If I get a system that already has Vista pre-loaded (160GB HD), I want
>>> to know if I can use Acronis Disk Administrator to partition the
>>> harddrive? Once partitioned, will Vista run okay?
>>>
>>> I also want to know if I can use Acronis TrueImage to image the OS for
>>> storage (as a backup Image)?
>>>
>>> I am aware that Vista comes with it's own Disk Administer that allows
>>> resizing of partitions. I would like to stick with Acronis if possible.
>>>
>>> Thanks

JCO

Re: Vista System - Partition Harddrive
I know it will work with WindowsXP.
My question refers more to the fact that Windows Vista uses a different type
of NTFS (newer version/same name) that may not be compatible.

So the issue is that I need to know if the newest tools from Acronis are
compatible with the new NTFS system that all new computer systems shipped
out.

> Just kidding.... ;-)
>
> I did the same with my wife's notebook. Only, it had XP on it, and I kept
> it as a dual boot option.
>

> "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> What do you mean by messing up the Vista Partition?
>>
>> What I want to do is split the partition and resize as I see fit using
>> the two products I mentioned (Acronis Disk Director & Acronis TrueImage
>> ver 10).
>>

>> "Dave" <dave@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>> yes, if you mean Acronis Disk Director.
>>> yes, if you don't mess up the Vista partition.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista System - Partition Harddrive
The latest version of Acronis Disk Director works with Vista.. as always,
ensure that you back up all important stuff before you start the process..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Don

JCO wrote:
> I know it will work with WindowsXP.
> My question refers more to the fact that Windows Vista uses a different type
> of NTFS (newer version/same name) that may not be compatible.
>
> So the issue is that I need to know if the newest tools from Acronis are
> compatible with the new NTFS system that all new computer systems shipped
> out.

Only build 2160 of DD is Vista aware, so don't use anything earlier than
that.

John Barnes

Re: Vista System - Partition Harddrive
If you bought the download instead of the Disk, make sure you can create a
bootable recovery CD. I can't so I can only use TrueImage to install from
another installed system. Probably not feasible in your situation, if the
partition process goes awry. Wouldn't expect it to though, so good luck.

"JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I know it will work with WindowsXP.
> My question refers more to the fact that Windows Vista uses a different
> type of NTFS (newer version/same name) that may not be compatible.
>
> So the issue is that I need to know if the newest tools from Acronis are
> compatible with the new NTFS system that all new computer systems shipped
> out.
>
> "Dave" <dave@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> Just kidding.... ;-)
>>
>> I did the same with my wife's notebook. Only, it had XP on it, and I kept
>> it as a dual boot option.
>>

>> "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>> What do you mean by messing up the Vista Partition?
>>>
>>> What I want to do is split the partition and resize as I see fit using
>>> the two products I mentioned (Acronis Disk Director & Acronis TrueImage
>>> ver 10).

JCO

Re: Vista System - Partition Harddrive
I'm not sure what DD is?

"Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> JCO wrote:
>> I know it will work with WindowsXP.
>> My question refers more to the fact that Windows Vista uses a different
>> type of NTFS (newer version/same name) that may not be compatible.
>>
>> So the issue is that I need to know if the newest tools from Acronis are
>> compatible with the new NTFS system that all new computer systems shipped
>> out.

> Only build 2160 of DD is Vista aware, so don't use anything earlier than
> that.

JCO

Re: Vista System - Partition Harddrive
My version will install on your system. Once installed, you have the option
to create the bootable CD. I've always used the Bootable CD anyway. Just
seems safer.