Getting computer prepared for Vista

L.J

Getting computer prepared for Vista
Hi
I am trying to install my upgrade to Vista, I got sent a disk which was to
prepare the computer for upgrade, I opened it earlier today and discovered I
need some disks to back up current system, so I cancelled (and shut down the
computer) and went into town to got the disks, I have put the disk in the
computer but it won't open, I then tried to open it though run on start menu,
but this didn't work either...any ideas?
Thanks
Chad Harris

Re: Getting computer prepared for Vista
HI LJ--

I don't know what version of Vista you're trying to upgrade but here's what
upgrading looks like:

Screenshots of an upgrade to Vista

http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rade/index.htm

See:

Upgrading to Windows Vista from Windows XP

Installing Windows: frequently asked questions
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...a01b01033.mspx

Upgrade strategies for IT Pros
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...cbc781033.mspx

A list of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles is available to help
troubleshoot error messages that you may receive when you try to upgrade to
Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930743/en-us

Who was the disk from? What is that disk? You discovered you need discs to
back up the current system? You can back up the current system as simply as
burning files to a CD in Windows XP or you could buy a good backup method
like Acronis 10 Home. Apparently you have not done anything to back up the
current system. What in fact did you cancel? What disc is in the pc that
won't "open"?

If you are sitting on the XP desktop like I think you are, and you put in a
CD or DVD and want to see its files and gain access to them, you can right
click the start button>and use open all users or explore all users to see
what's on the disc or you can go to My Computer and the disc should show up
there as well and you should be able to click it and see its contents.

I don't see why you need any preparation disc which probably has some kind
of mechanism to run an upgrade advisor. I do support backing your pc up
before installing an upgrade to Vista. MSFT has an upgrade advisor for
Vista you can download from their website.

Also you didn't indicate any special situations you have on your computer
like a SATA or other setup that may require drivers for Vista to be
installed in setup.

Good luck,

CH

17% of TB Cases are from "smear negative" patients like the PI lawyer Ted
Speaker. What irony that a lawyer who sues people in personal injury case
is now the target of hundreds of cases being filed. The CDC says stupidly
that they are only trying to track Speaker's contacts who were US citizens?
As if people don't fly to the US every day from other places. And what
about the people with whom speaker came into contact every day he wasn't
isolated at Denver?

The US is totally unprepared for any pandemic and has no competent homeland
security personnel and obviously the CDC had no clue and no plan.

In this situation, a Personal Injury lawyer willfully and intentionally fled
every jurisdiction that has prooved it told him not to fly. Ironically he
was accompanied by his father in law who happens to be a TB expert and MD
for years at the CDC who ignored everything he learned about TB.

This just goes to show that very educated people including physicians will
ignore the very principles they communicate to patients and others on a
daily basis for their own selfish reasons.

The CDC's statement by Julie Gerberding that Cooksy was acting like a father
in law should have read--he was acting like a medically ignorant father in
law instead of as a CDC longtime physician employee who is in the TB section
of the CDC.

The US has a Department of Homeland Insecurity that makes a "Three Stooges"
movie look tame.

"L.J" <L.J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am trying to install my upgrade to Vista, I got sent a disk which was to
> prepare the computer for upgrade, I opened it earlier today and discovered
> need some disks to back up current system, so I cancelled (and shut down
> the
> computer) and went into town to got the disks, I have put the disk in the
> computer but it won't open, I then tried to open it though run on start
> menu,
> but this didn't work either...any ideas?
> Thanks

peter

Re: Getting computer prepared for Vista
Since we have no idea what disk you actually have or what system for that
matter we will take some guesses
is this prepare disk maybe supposed to run when you boot your system.....???
if so you need to change your BIOS to boot from CD as 1st boot...insert the
disk and boot up...watch for the message that says push any key to boot from
CD...do so.
Did that work??
If not post back..............hell post back anyways
peter
"L.J" <L.J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am trying to install my upgrade to Vista, I got sent a disk which was to
> prepare the computer for upgrade, I opened it earlier today and discovered
> need some disks to back up current system, so I cancelled (and shut down
> the
> computer) and went into town to got the disks, I have put the disk in the
> computer but it won't open, I then tried to open it though run on start
> menu,
> but this didn't work either...any ideas?
> Thanks

L.J

Re: Getting computer prepared for Vista
The disk I am talking about is HP preparing for Vista upgrade disk (it came
with vista disk and says you have to complete that step before adding the
Vista disk.) Its 32bit Home premium version. I had the choice to back up
Windows XP but it required 15 CD's or 2 DVD's so I didn't have this hence why
I had to go and get some. Hope that makes more sense now.
I have tried just put the disk in and boot the system but they didn't work
either.
Any other suggestions....for a nice none techie person!

"peter" wrote:

> Since we have no idea what disk you actually have or what system for that
> matter we will take some guesses
> is this prepare disk maybe supposed to run when you boot your system.....???
> if so you need to change your BIOS to boot from CD as 1st boot...insert the
> disk and boot up...watch for the message that says push any key to boot from
> CD...do so.
> Did that work??
> If not post back..............hell post back anyways
> peter
> "L.J" <L.J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I am trying to install my upgrade to Vista, I got sent a disk which was to
> > prepare the computer for upgrade, I opened it earlier today and discovered
> > need some disks to back up current system, so I cancelled (and shut down
> > the
> > computer) and went into town to got the disks, I have put the disk in the
> > computer but it won't open, I then tried to open it though run on start
> > menu,
> > but this didn't work either...any ideas?
> > Thanks

Chad Harris

Re: Getting computer prepared for Vista
Hi LJ--

I have a couple suggestions for you that I think will help you considerably.

1) I don't think you need to run that HP preparing for Vista upgrade disc.
You can see what it says--but I suspect it's merely common sense suggestions
like to backup, etc. that are in the links I gave you.

2) If you will invest a few bucks in a DVD burner, you won't confront having
to use a whole bunch of CDs to backup. You'll be able to get about 4 GBs on
a DVD and twice that amount on a dual layer DVD which are awfully expensive
to be practicle. But a DVD burner is definitely the way to got these days
with the amount of pic and music files people use.

3) Acronis True Image 10 Home is a great way to backup and used by a lot of
us. It makes an image, will update an image as often as you need, and works
well.

4) Vista has a good easy to use backup although it compresses files, as does
Windows One Care where you essentially just pop in the DVD when it cues you.

CH

> The disk I am talking about is HP preparing for Vista upgrade disk (it
> came
> with vista disk and says you have to complete that step before adding the
> Vista disk.) Its 32bit Home premium version. I had the choice to back up
> Windows XP but it required 15 CD's or 2 DVD's so I didn't have this hence
> why
> I had to go and get some. Hope that makes more sense now.
> I have tried just put the disk in and boot the system but they didn't work
> either.
> Any other suggestions....for a nice none techie person!
>
> "peter" wrote:
>
>> Since we have no idea what disk you actually have or what system for that
>> matter we will take some guesses
>> is this prepare disk maybe supposed to run when you boot your
>> system.....???
>> if so you need to change your BIOS to boot from CD as 1st boot...insert
>> the
>> disk and boot up...watch for the message that says push any key to boot
>> from
>> CD...do so.
>> Did that work??
>> If not post back..............hell post back anyways
>> peter
>> "L.J" <L.J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> > I am trying to install my upgrade to Vista, I got sent a disk which was
>> > prepare the computer for upgrade, I opened it earlier today and
>> > discovered
>> > need some disks to back up current system, so I cancelled (and shut
>> > down
>> > the
>> > computer) and went into town to got the disks, I have put the disk in
>> > the
>> > computer but it won't open, I then tried to open it though run on start
>> > menu,
>> > but this didn't work either...any ideas?
>> > Thanks

peter

Re: Getting computer prepared for Vista
I had the same type of disc for Upgrading my Acer Laptop from XP to Vista.
Once it was running it uninstalled all of the applications that were not
compatible with Vista....Then asked me to backup.But I had already Imaged
the Drive using Acronis so I skipped that step.Next it asked me to insert
the Vista Upgrade disc and it installed Vista..I picked new
Installation.After Vista was completely Installed I needed to insert the
disc again and it upgraded certain programs to be compatible with Vista...
I do not know why yours would not work...I know I inserted mine under XP and
it autoran...which I hate.
peter
"L.J" <LJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The disk I am talking about is HP preparing for Vista upgrade disk (it
> came
> with vista disk and says you have to complete that step before adding the
> Vista disk.) Its 32bit Home premium version. I had the choice to back up
> Windows XP but it required 15 CD's or 2 DVD's so I didn't have this hence
> why
> I had to go and get some. Hope that makes more sense now.
> I have tried just put the disk in and boot the system but they didn't work
> either.
> Any other suggestions....for a nice none techie person!
>
> "peter" wrote:
>
>> Since we have no idea what disk you actually have or what system for that
>> matter we will take some guesses
>> is this prepare disk maybe supposed to run when you boot your
>> system.....???
>> if so you need to change your BIOS to boot from CD as 1st boot...insert
>> the
>> disk and boot up...watch for the message that says push any key to boot
>> from
>> CD...do so.
>> Did that work??
>> If not post back..............hell post back anyways
>> peter
>> "L.J" <L.J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> > I am trying to install my upgrade to Vista, I got sent a disk which was
>> > prepare the computer for upgrade, I opened it earlier today and
>> > discovered
>> > need some disks to back up current system, so I cancelled (and shut
>> > down
>> > the
>> > computer) and went into town to got the disks, I have put the disk in
>> > the
>> > computer but it won't open, I then tried to open it though run on start
>> > menu,
>> > but this didn't work either...any ideas?
>> > Thanks

peter

Re: Getting computer prepared for Vista
Almost forgot....my "prepare upgrade" disk created an Icon on the desktop
peter
"L.J" <LJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The disk I am talking about is HP preparing for Vista upgrade disk (it
> came
> with vista disk and says you have to complete that step before adding the
> Vista disk.) Its 32bit Home premium version. I had the choice to back up
> Windows XP but it required 15 CD's or 2 DVD's so I didn't have this hence
> why
> I had to go and get some. Hope that makes more sense now.
> I have tried just put the disk in and boot the system but they didn't work
> either.
> Any other suggestions....for a nice none techie person!
>
> "peter" wrote:
>
>> Since we have no idea what disk you actually have or what system for that
>> matter we will take some guesses
>> is this prepare disk maybe supposed to run when you boot your
>> system.....???
>> if so you need to change your BIOS to boot from CD as 1st boot...insert
>> the
>> disk and boot up...watch for the message that says push any key to boot
>> from
>> CD...do so.
>> Did that work??
>> If not post back..............hell post back anyways
>> peter
>> "L.J" <L.J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> > I am trying to install my upgrade to Vista, I got sent a disk which was
>> > prepare the computer for upgrade, I opened it earlier today and
>> > discovered
>> > need some disks to back up current system, so I cancelled (and shut
>> > down
>> > the
>> > computer) and went into town to got the disks, I have put the disk in
>> > the
>> > computer but it won't open, I then tried to open it though run on start
>> > menu,
>> > but this didn't work either...any ideas?
>> > Thanks

JCO

Re: Getting computer prepared for Vista
Chad
Is Acronis True Image 10 compatible with the new NTFS format that Vista is
loaded on?
I was just wondering because I want to use the Acronis Disk Director to
split/resize the harddrive then use Acronis TrueImage ver 10 to create an
image (for backup/storage).

I'm just not clear on the new NTFS format that Vista is pre-installed on
when purchasing a new computer.
Thanks (sorry for not staying on the subject).

"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
> Hi LJ--
>
> I have a couple suggestions for you that I think will help you
> considerably.
>
> 1) I don't think you need to run that HP preparing for Vista upgrade disc.
> You can see what it says--but I suspect it's merely common sense
> suggestions like to backup, etc. that are in the links I gave you.
>
> 2) If you will invest a few bucks in a DVD burner, you won't confront
> having to use a whole bunch of CDs to backup. You'll be able to get about
> 4 GBs on a DVD and twice that amount on a dual layer DVD which are awfully
> expensive to be practicle. But a DVD burner is definitely the way to got
> these days with the amount of pic and music files people use.
>
> 3) Acronis True Image 10 Home is a great way to backup and used by a lot
> of us. It makes an image, will update an image as often as you need, and
> works well.
>
> 4) Vista has a good easy to use backup although it compresses files, as
> does Windows One Care where you essentially just pop in the DVD when it
> cues you.
>
> CH
>

> "L.J" <LJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The disk I am talking about is HP preparing for Vista upgrade disk (it
>> came
>> with vista disk and says you have to complete that step before adding the
>> Vista disk.) Its 32bit Home premium version. I had the choice to back up
>> Windows XP but it required 15 CD's or 2 DVD's so I didn't have this hence
>> why
>> I had to go and get some. Hope that makes more sense now.
>> I have tried just put the disk in and boot the system but they didn't
>> work
>> either.
>> Any other suggestions....for a nice none techie person!
>>
>> "peter" wrote:
>>
>>> Since we have no idea what disk you actually have or what system for
>>> that
>>> matter we will take some guesses
>>> is this prepare disk maybe supposed to run when you boot your
>>> system.....???
>>> if so you need to change your BIOS to boot from CD as 1st boot...insert
>>> the
>>> disk and boot up...watch for the message that says push any key to boot
>>> from
>>> CD...do so.
>>> Did that work??
>>> If not post back..............hell post back anyways
>>> peter

Chad Harris

Re: Getting computer prepared for Vista
Hi JCO--

Acronis 10 is compatible with Vista and it's updated "transactional" NTFS
format.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...uirements.html

System Requirements
New! Microsoft Windows Vista
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Windows« XP SP 2
Windows« 2000 Professional SP 4
CPU: Pentium 133 (and alike) or higher
RAM 128 MB or more
Disk space: 150 MB
Extra space for installation: 25 MB

Supported File Systems:
FAT16/32, NTFS, Linux Ext2, Ext3, ReiserFS, and Linux SWAP
Special sector-by-sector support for other partitions and corrupted file
systems

CH

"JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Chad
> Is Acronis True Image 10 compatible with the new NTFS format that Vista is
> loaded on?
> I was just wondering because I want to use the Acronis Disk Director to
> split/resize the harddrive then use Acronis TrueImage ver 10 to create an
> image (for backup/storage).
>
> I'm just not clear on the new NTFS format that Vista is pre-installed on
> when purchasing a new computer.
> Thanks (sorry for not staying on the subject).
>

> "Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
>> Hi LJ--
>>
>> I have a couple suggestions for you that I think will help you
>> considerably.
>>
>> 1) I don't think you need to run that HP preparing for Vista upgrade
>> disc. You can see what it says--but I suspect it's merely common sense
>> suggestions like to backup, etc. that are in the links I gave you.
>>
>> 2) If you will invest a few bucks in a DVD burner, you won't confront
>> having to use a whole bunch of CDs to backup. You'll be able to get
>> about 4 GBs on a DVD and twice that amount on a dual layer DVD which are
>> awfully expensive to be practicle. But a DVD burner is definitely the
>> way to got these days with the amount of pic and music files people use.
>>
>> 3) Acronis True Image 10 Home is a great way to backup and used by a lot
>> of us. It makes an image, will update an image as often as you need, and
>> works well.
>>
>> 4) Vista has a good easy to use backup although it compresses files, as
>> does Windows One Care where you essentially just pop in the DVD when it
>> cues you.
>>
>> CH
>>

>> "L.J" <LJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> The disk I am talking about is HP preparing for Vista upgrade disk (it
>>> came
>>> with vista disk and says you have to complete that step before adding
>>> the
>>> Vista disk.) Its 32bit Home premium version. I had the choice to back up
>>> Windows XP but it required 15 CD's or 2 DVD's so I didn't have this
>>> hence why
>>> I had to go and get some. Hope that makes more sense now.
>>> I have tried just put the disk in and boot the system but they didn't
>>> work
>>> either.
>>> Any other suggestions....for a nice none techie person!

Chad Harris

Re: Getting computer prepared for Vista
JCO--

I meant to add that you can download a free trial:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...oad/trueimage/