Converting Two Hard Disks to Dual Boot

bharshaw

Converting Two Hard Disks to Dual Boot
My Dell XPS-400 running Windows Media Center went bad, so I've a new 410 with
Vista and the hard drive from the old PC installed as drive F. Some of my
old programs and the TV tuner won't run under Vista, so I'd like to change to
a dual boot system. Is it true I have to partition my C: drive and reinstall
Vista as a dual boot system or am I misunderstanding?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Converting Two Hard Disks to Dual Boot
If Vista is already installed on your C: drive you could always install XP
on your second hard drive. Take a look at this link from my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ning_vista.htm

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"bharshaw" <bharshaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Dell XPS-400 running Windows Media Center went bad, so I've a new 410
> with
> Vista and the hard drive from the old PC installed as drive F. Some of my
> old programs and the TV tuner won't run under Vista, so I'd like to change
> a dual boot system. Is it true I have to partition my C: drive and
> reinstall
> Vista as a dual boot system or am I misunderstanding?

bharshaw

Re: Converting Two Hard Disks to Dual Boot
John,

I already have XP on my second drive (from the time it was my C: drive on
the old PC). From your answer I infer that there's no way to create a dual
boot system out of two pre-existing OS's without a reinstallation. That's
not what I want to hear, but facts is facts.

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> If Vista is already installed on your C: drive you could always install XP
> on your second hard drive. Take a look at this link from my website:
> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ning_vista.htm
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

koze

Re: Converting Two Hard Disks to Dual Boot
If you take a look for Easybcd ( http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 ) or
Vista Bootpro (http://www.pro-networks.org/vistabootpro/index.php )
you are able to add a existing OS to the BCD bootmenu! from Vista that is
the one that has to be used to boot the machine!! Else it will not work.

Ko

"bharshaw" <bharshaw@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> John,
>
> I already have XP on my second drive (from the time it was my C: drive on
> the old PC). From your answer I infer that there's no way to create a
> dual
> boot system out of two pre-existing OS's without a reinstallation. That's
> not what I want to hear, but facts is facts.
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> If Vista is already installed on your C: drive you could always install
>> XP
>> on your second hard drive. Take a look at this link from my website:
>> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ning_vista.htm
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

John Barnett MVP

Re: Converting Two Hard Disks to Dual Boot
The boot option is regulated by Vista. If the Vista drive is your C: drive
your XP drive will be designated another drive letter - well at least until
you boot to XP when it will change to C: again. Take another look at the
instructions in the link I sent to you, download VistaBootPro and make the
necessary changes suggested. VistaBootPro should find your XP drive and
should add it to the Vista boot menu.