BIOS update for Vista question please

Dudley Henriques

BIOS update for Vista question please
Hi;
I have a new system running XP/sp2 which will have to be upgraded to Vista
Ultimate for the work I do. The board is an 680i and EVGA wants me to
upgrade the bios from P24 to P28 for this upgrade. Problem is that the
computer is a gaming machine and doesn't have a floppy drive. EVGA says I
can use an ISO file with a CD drive (which I have) but I don't presently
have any burn software installed. I just use the default XP burn program
when I need the drive.
What I need to know please is how should I go about this upgrade to Vista. I
have the OS in hand now and am ready to make the upgrade. EVGA tells me that
it makes no difference if I install Vista before the BIOS flash or after.
I'm assuming if I install the OS first, I'll just have to change the boot
sequence to reflect the CD drive first in the present BIOS.
What I need to know is whether or not Vista Ultimate has an in house burn
program that will allow me to make the BIOS flash? I'm assuming I'll have to
create a bootable CD which might require additional software if the in house
program won't create one for me.
Am I right on this, and do you folks have any suggestions generally for
handling my update to Vista?
Many thanks
Dudley Henriques
MVP Microsoft Flight Simulator

Richard Urban

Re: BIOS update for Vista question please
If a bios upgrade is recommended for Vista to be used I would install the
bios upgrade first. If you upgrade the bios after Vista is installed you may
run into reactivation problems.

See if you can borrow an external floppy drive. Create the floppy and update
the bios. Hint! An external USB floppy drive costs only about $30.00 and
they are handy to have around.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@rcn.com> wrote in message
> Hi;
> I have a new system running XP/sp2 which will have to be upgraded to Vista
> Ultimate for the work I do. The board is an 680i and EVGA wants me to
> upgrade the bios from P24 to P28 for this upgrade. Problem is that the
> computer is a gaming machine and doesn't have a floppy drive. EVGA says I
> can use an ISO file with a CD drive (which I have) but I don't presently
> have any burn software installed. I just use the default XP burn program
> when I need the drive.
> What I need to know please is how should I go about this upgrade to Vista.
> I have the OS in hand now and am ready to make the upgrade. EVGA tells me
> that it makes no difference if I install Vista before the BIOS flash or
> after. I'm assuming if I install the OS first, I'll just have to change
> the boot sequence to reflect the CD drive first in the present BIOS.
> What I need to know is whether or not Vista Ultimate has an in house burn
> program that will allow me to make the BIOS flash? I'm assuming I'll have
> to create a bootable CD which might require additional software if the in
> house program won't create one for me.
> Am I right on this, and do you folks have any suggestions generally for
> handling my update to Vista?
> Many thanks
> Dudley Henriques
> MVP Microsoft Flight Simulator

Dudley Henriques

Re: BIOS update for Vista question please
Thank you for the reply. I understand the external floppy is an option but
I've been told only an internal will work because of it's place in the boot
sequencing. They say MS recommends only a few external floppys for this
purpose and that they are quite expensive.
I haven't researched this as yet and don't know how accurate the information
might be at this point.
DH

> If a bios upgrade is recommended for Vista to be used I would install the
> bios upgrade first. If you upgrade the bios after Vista is installed you
> may run into reactivation problems.
>
> See if you can borrow an external floppy drive. Create the floppy and
> update the bios. Hint! An external USB floppy drive costs only about
> $30.00 and they are handy to have around.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>
> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@rcn.com> wrote in message
>> Hi;
>> I have a new system running XP/sp2 which will have to be upgraded to
>> Vista Ultimate for the work I do. The board is an 680i and EVGA wants me
>> to upgrade the bios from P24 to P28 for this upgrade. Problem is that the
>> computer is a gaming machine and doesn't have a floppy drive. EVGA says I
>> can use an ISO file with a CD drive (which I have) but I don't presently
>> have any burn software installed. I just use the default XP burn program
>> when I need the drive.
>> What I need to know please is how should I go about this upgrade to
>> Vista. I have the OS in hand now and am ready to make the upgrade. EVGA
>> tells me that it makes no difference if I install Vista before the BIOS
>> flash or after. I'm assuming if I install the OS first, I'll just have to
>> change the boot sequence to reflect the CD drive first in the present
>> BIOS.
>> What I need to know is whether or not Vista Ultimate has an in house burn
>> program that will allow me to make the BIOS flash? I'm assuming I'll have
>> to create a bootable CD which might require additional software if the in
>> house program won't create one for me.
>> Am I right on this, and do you folks have any suggestions generally for
>> handling my update to Vista?
>> Many thanks
>> Dudley Henriques
>> MVP Microsoft Flight Simulator

Dominic Payer

Re: BIOS update for Vista question please
ISO Recorder http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm is a free
tool which will enable burning ISO images.

There are other free programs if you look aoound.

"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@rcn.com> wrote in message
> Hi;
> I have a new system running XP/sp2 which will have to be upgraded to Vista
> Ultimate for the work I do. The board is an 680i and EVGA wants me to
> upgrade the bios from P24 to P28 for this upgrade. Problem is that the
> computer is a gaming machine and doesn't have a floppy drive. EVGA says I
> can use an ISO file with a CD drive (which I have) but I don't presently
> have any burn software installed. I just use the default XP burn program
> when I need the drive.
> What I need to know please is how should I go about this upgrade to Vista.
> I have the OS in hand now and am ready to make the upgrade. EVGA tells me
> that it makes no difference if I install Vista before the BIOS flash or
> after. I'm assuming if I install the OS first, I'll just have to change
> the boot sequence to reflect the CD drive first in the present BIOS.
> What I need to know is whether or not Vista Ultimate has an in house burn
> program that will allow me to make the BIOS flash? I'm assuming I'll have
> to create a bootable CD which might require additional software if the in
> house program won't create one for me.
> Am I right on this, and do you folks have any suggestions generally for
> handling my update to Vista?
> Many thanks
> Dudley Henriques
> MVP Microsoft Flight Simulator

Richard G. Harper

Re: BIOS update for Vista question please
I don't know where you heard that "Microsoft recommends only a few ..." but
it's not so. Given any reasonably current PC an external floppy will work
just fine. Whether or not it will depends on what your BIOS supports, not
what "Microsoft recommends". I have flashed the BIOSes of many floppy-less
computers with an external USB drive costing $30 with no problems.

> Thank you for the reply. I understand the external floppy is an option but
> I've been told only an internal will work because of it's place in the
> boot sequencing. They say MS recommends only a few external floppys for
> this purpose and that they are quite expensive.
> I haven't researched this as yet and don't know how accurate the
> information might be at this point.
> DH

>> If a bios upgrade is recommended for Vista to be used I would install the
>> bios upgrade first. If you upgrade the bios after Vista is installed you
>> may run into reactivation problems.
>>
>> See if you can borrow an external floppy drive. Create the floppy and
>> update the bios. Hint! An external USB floppy drive costs only about
>> $30.00 and they are handy to have around.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>
>> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@rcn.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi;
>>> I have a new system running XP/sp2 which will have to be upgraded to
>>> Vista Ultimate for the work I do. The board is an 680i and EVGA wants me
>>> to upgrade the bios from P24 to P28 for this upgrade. Problem is that
>>> the computer is a gaming machine and doesn't have a floppy drive. EVGA
>>> says I can use an ISO file with a CD drive (which I have) but I don't
>>> presently have any burn software installed. I just use the default XP
>>> burn program when I need the drive.
>>> What I need to know please is how should I go about this upgrade to
>>> Vista. I have the OS in hand now and am ready to make the upgrade. EVGA
>>> tells me that it makes no difference if I install Vista before the BIOS
>>> flash or after. I'm assuming if I install the OS first, I'll just have
>>> to change the boot sequence to reflect the CD drive first in the present
>>> BIOS.
>>> What I need to know is whether or not Vista Ultimate has an in house
>>> burn program that will allow me to make the BIOS flash? I'm assuming
>>> I'll have to create a bootable CD which might require additional
>>> software if the in house program won't create one for me.
>>> Am I right on this, and do you folks have any suggestions generally for
>>> handling my update to Vista?
>>> Many thanks
>>> Dudley Henriques
>>> MVP Microsoft Flight Simulator

Don Burnette

Re: BIOS update for Vista question please
Hey Dudley,

You will need burning software, that will burn the image ( iso ) to cd, to
do this.

I really like Imageburn, for burning iso's. It is freeware, and you can get
it here - http://www.imgburn.com/

It is very easy to use, just install, launch the application, browse to your
image, load it up, and click on burn to cd. It will burn the iso bin image
you download from EVGA, and it will be bootable. You set your bios to boot
from your cd drive first, insert the burned iso bin cd, reboot the system,
and off ya go... don't forgot to " load defaults " in your bios, when the
machine restarts.

Best of luck,

Don

"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@rcn.com> wrote in message
> Hi;
> I have a new system running XP/sp2 which will have to be upgraded to Vista
> Ultimate for the work I do. The board is an 680i and EVGA wants me to
> upgrade the bios from P24 to P28 for this upgrade. Problem is that the
> computer is a gaming machine and doesn't have a floppy drive. EVGA says I
> can use an ISO file with a CD drive (which I have) but I don't presently
> have any burn software installed. I just use the default XP burn program
> when I need the drive.
> What I need to know please is how should I go about this upgrade to Vista.
> I have the OS in hand now and am ready to make the upgrade. EVGA tells me
> that it makes no difference if I install Vista before the BIOS flash or
> after. I'm assuming if I install the OS first, I'll just have to change
> the boot sequence to reflect the CD drive first in the present BIOS.
> What I need to know is whether or not Vista Ultimate has an in house burn
> program that will allow me to make the BIOS flash? I'm assuming I'll have
> to create a bootable CD which might require additional software if the in
> house program won't create one for me.
> Am I right on this, and do you folks have any suggestions generally for
> handling my update to Vista?
> Many thanks
> Dudley Henriques
> MVP Microsoft Flight Simulator

Dudley Henriques

Re: BIOS update for Vista question please
Thanks Don;
I'm getting REALLY conflicting information on using an external floppy. EVGA
has said absolutely not, Microcenter backs that up, and here someone has
said it's no problem at all.
I've already lost an entire system doing a bad Asus update last year and I
sure don't want to trash this new system to the same issue.
I'll try the freeware burn program for the CD ISO file.
Thanks
DH

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hey Dudley,
>
> You will need burning software, that will burn the image ( iso ) to cd, to
> do this.
>
> I really like Imageburn, for burning iso's. It is freeware, and you can
> get it here - http://www.imgburn.com/
>
> It is very easy to use, just install, launch the application, browse to
> your image, load it up, and click on burn to cd. It will burn the iso bin
> image you download from EVGA, and it will be bootable. You set your bios
> to boot from your cd drive first, insert the burned iso bin cd, reboot the
> system, and off ya go... don't forgot to " load defaults " in your bios,
> when the machine restarts.
>

> Best of luck,
>

> Don
>

> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@rcn.com> wrote in message
>> Hi;
>> I have a new system running XP/sp2 which will have to be upgraded to
>> Vista Ultimate for the work I do. The board is an 680i and EVGA wants me
>> to upgrade the bios from P24 to P28 for this upgrade. Problem is that the
>> computer is a gaming machine and doesn't have a floppy drive. EVGA says I
>> can use an ISO file with a CD drive (which I have) but I don't presently
>> have any burn software installed. I just use the default XP burn program
>> when I need the drive.
>> What I need to know please is how should I go about this upgrade to
>> Vista. I have the OS in hand now and am ready to make the upgrade. EVGA
>> tells me that it makes no difference if I install Vista before the BIOS
>> flash or after. I'm assuming if I install the OS first, I'll just have to
>> change the boot sequence to reflect the CD drive first in the present
>> BIOS.
>> What I need to know is whether or not Vista Ultimate has an in house burn
>> program that will allow me to make the BIOS flash? I'm assuming I'll have
>> to create a bootable CD which might require additional software if the in
>> house program won't create one for me.
>> Am I right on this, and do you folks have any suggestions generally for
>> handling my update to Vista?
>> Many thanks
>> Dudley Henriques
>> MVP Microsoft Flight Simulator

Don Burnette

Re: BIOS update for Vista question please
Your very welcome.

I would imagine, an external floppy would be ok, it appears the bios
supports booting from it, but the cd rom method does the same, and I used it
about 5 times with no problem. Did not make sense to me, to purchase an
external floppy just for this... and I sure wasn't going to try the online
windows method.

Unfortunately, things can happen when updating a bios, ie power failure,
computer glitch, etc... I always hold my breath when flashing I think .

Anyways, based on my flashes, the cd method should work just fine. Just be
careful, and best of luck.

--
Don

> Thanks Don;
> I'm getting REALLY conflicting information on using an external floppy.
> EVGA has said absolutely not, Microcenter backs that up, and here someone
> has said it's no problem at all.
> I've already lost an entire system doing a bad Asus update last year and I
> sure don't want to trash this new system to the same issue.
> I'll try the freeware burn program for the CD ISO file.
> Thanks
> DH
>
> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hey Dudley,
>>
>> You will need burning software, that will burn the image ( iso ) to cd,
>> to do this.
>>
>> I really like Imageburn, for burning iso's. It is freeware, and you can
>> get it here - http://www.imgburn.com/
>>
>> It is very easy to use, just install, launch the application, browse to
>> your image, load it up, and click on burn to cd. It will burn the iso bin
>> image you download from EVGA, and it will be bootable. You set your bios
>> to boot from your cd drive first, insert the burned iso bin cd, reboot
>> the system, and off ya go... don't forgot to " load defaults " in your
>> bios, when the machine restarts.
>>

>> Best of luck,
>>

>> Don
>>

>> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@rcn.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi;
>>> I have a new system running XP/sp2 which will have to be upgraded to
>>> Vista Ultimate for the work I do. The board is an 680i and EVGA wants me
>>> to upgrade the bios from P24 to P28 for this upgrade. Problem is that
>>> the computer is a gaming machine and doesn't have a floppy drive. EVGA
>>> says I can use an ISO file with a CD drive (which I have) but I don't
>>> presently have any burn software installed. I just use the default XP
>>> burn program when I need the drive.
>>> What I need to know please is how should I go about this upgrade to
>>> Vista. I have the OS in hand now and am ready to make the upgrade. EVGA
>>> tells me that it makes no difference if I install Vista before the BIOS
>>> flash or after. I'm assuming if I install the OS first, I'll just have
>>> to change the boot sequence to reflect the CD drive first in the present
>>> BIOS.
>>> What I need to know is whether or not Vista Ultimate has an in house
>>> burn program that will allow me to make the BIOS flash? I'm assuming
>>> I'll have to create a bootable CD which might require additional
>>> software if the in house program won't create one for me.
>>> Am I right on this, and do you folks have any suggestions generally for
>>> handling my update to Vista?
>>> Many thanks
>>> Dudley Henriques
>>> MVP Microsoft Flight Simulator

Dudley Henriques

Re: BIOS update for Vista question please
I'll tell you how gun shy I am on doing this. I'm about 5 seconds away from
buying an Imac for all my online activities, taking the PC off line
completely, reinstalling XP/SP2 with no updates and using it only for the
simulator.
The last BIOS update cost me $2500 bucks :-))
I'm not all that computer savvy really, and quite frankly, everything
associated with bios flashing is completely new to me. I even had to look up
what an ISO file actually is, and even after reading it, I STILL don't feel
completely comfortable dealing with it.
I know it all sound simple, but the whole deal surrounding bios updating
makes me nervous.
I'm doing my best to research and catch up on all this stuff, but my time to
spend on the learning curve is severely limited.
It seems ridiculous that a small 5 minute procedure should cause so much
anx, but the bottom line on bios updating is absolutely clear to me. If you
make ONE mistake.....ONE wrong thing in sequence.....One wrong click here or
there, and/or misinterpret or not understand ONE thing about the procedure,
you have just burned a motherboard and no amount of resetting, pulling the
cmos jumper, or anything else will solve it save having a new chip installed
on the mobo or buying a whole new board with all the problems and time that
entails.
It all seems so simple, but to someone who has never done it successfully,
not just me, but anyone; say some old lady with a computer who needs a bios
update and doesn't even know it :-), the entire procedure can be daunting.
Well....at least I've learned lesson 1 on bios flashing :-))))

> Your very welcome.
>

> I would imagine, an external floppy would be ok, it appears the bios
> supports booting from it, but the cd rom method does the same, and I used
> it about 5 times with no problem. Did not make sense to me, to purchase an
> external floppy just for this... and I sure wasn't going to try the
> online windows method.
>
> Unfortunately, things can happen when updating a bios, ie power failure,
> computer glitch, etc... I always hold my breath when flashing I think .
>
> Anyways, based on my flashes, the cd method should work just fine. Just be
> careful, and best of luck.
>

> --
> Don
>

> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@rcn.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Don;
>> I'm getting REALLY conflicting information on using an external floppy.
>> EVGA has said absolutely not, Microcenter backs that up, and here someone
>> has said it's no problem at all.
>> I've already lost an entire system doing a bad Asus update last year and
>> I sure don't want to trash this new system to the same issue.
>> I'll try the freeware burn program for the CD ISO file.
>> Thanks
>> DH
>>
>> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Hey Dudley,
>>>
>>> You will need burning software, that will burn the image ( iso ) to cd,
>>> to do this.
>>>
>>> I really like Imageburn, for burning iso's. It is freeware, and you can
>>> get it here - http://www.imgburn.com/
>>>
>>> It is very easy to use, just install, launch the application, browse to
>>> your image, load it up, and click on burn to cd. It will burn the iso
>>> bin image you download from EVGA, and it will be bootable. You set your
>>> bios to boot from your cd drive first, insert the burned iso bin cd,
>>> reboot the system, and off ya go... don't forgot to " load defaults " in
>>> your bios, when the machine restarts.
>>>

>>> Best of luck,
>>>

>>> Don

Dominic Payer

Re: BIOS update for Vista question please
Floppy flashing works well, but many manufacturers don't recommend it
because people use dodgy old floppies - few now have recent, new floppy
disks - and read errors cause the flash to fail.

If your motherboard supports USB boot, you can use a pen drive. See
http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm