Intel raid and Vista upgrade

Bob Freeth

Intel raid and Vista upgrade
I have just upgraded from XP pro to Vista business but have not been able to
carry over the Raid1 configuration that worked fine on XP.

The raid controller is Intel ICH8R-based. At a point in the upgrade a
re-boot failed with STOP 0x0000007B. The only way to progress was to
disconnect one of the raid disks and disable Raid mode in the Bios. The
system then resumed the updrade.

How do I now re-establish the raid setup?

Thanks.
peter

Re: Intel raid and Vista upgrade
Right at the beginning it asks you to push F6 if you need to add SCSI/ or
other drivers....did you??
peter
"Bob Freeth" <BobFreeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news9CC6DA2-C9CA-47A7-9F85-C74854DCA093@microsoft.com...
>I have just upgraded from XP pro to Vista business but have not been able
> carry over the Raid1 configuration that worked fine on XP.
>
> The raid controller is Intel ICH8R-based. At a point in the upgrade a
> re-boot failed with STOP 0x0000007B. The only way to progress was to
> disconnect one of the raid disks and disable Raid mode in the Bios. The
> system then resumed the updrade.
>
> How do I now re-establish the raid setup?
>
> Thanks.

Bob Freeth

Re: Intel raid and Vista upgrade
This is an upgrade from XP Pro to Vista Business - not an initial install.

The XP Pro system was working perfectly in Raid 1 mode

Anyway, Vista does not use the F6 message - that is now old hat - there is a
new Add Drivers button

Bob

"peter" wrote:

> Right at the beginning it asks you to push F6 if you need to add SCSI/ or
> other drivers....did you??
> peter
> "Bob Freeth" <BobFreeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news9CC6DA2-C9CA-47A7-9F85-C74854DCA093@microsoft.com...
> >I have just upgraded from XP pro to Vista business but have not been able
> > carry over the Raid1 configuration that worked fine on XP.
> >
> > The raid controller is Intel ICH8R-based. At a point in the upgrade a
> > re-boot failed with STOP 0x0000007B. The only way to progress was to
> > disconnect one of the raid disks and disable Raid mode in the Bios. The
> > system then resumed the updrade.
> >
> > How do I now re-establish the raid setup?
> >
> > Thanks.

peter

Re: Intel raid and Vista upgrade
Right...its been awhile since I installed Vista.
And you of course used that button to install the VISTA Raid
Drivers.......right??
> This is an upgrade from XP Pro to Vista Business - not an initial install.
>
> The XP Pro system was working perfectly in Raid 1 mode
>
> Anyway, Vista does not use the F6 message - that is now old hat - there is
> new Add Drivers button
>
> Bob
>
> "peter" wrote:
>
>> Right at the beginning it asks you to push F6 if you need to add SCSI/ or
>> other drivers....did you??
>> peter
>> "Bob Freeth" <BobFreeth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news9CC6DA2-C9CA-47A7-9F85-C74854DCA093@microsoft.com...
>> >I have just upgraded from XP pro to Vista business but have not been
>> >able
>> > carry over the Raid1 configuration that worked fine on XP.
>> >
>> > The raid controller is Intel ICH8R-based. At a point in the upgrade a
>> > re-boot failed with STOP 0x0000007B. The only way to progress was to
>> > disconnect one of the raid disks and disable Raid mode in the Bios. The
>> > system then resumed the updrade.
>> >
>> > How do I now re-establish the raid setup?
>> >
>> > Thanks.

Bob Freeth

Re: Intel raid and Vista upgrade
Perhaps you have never done a Vista upgrade - there is no opportunity to add
hard disk drivers because it presumes you already have an operational system
to upgrade.

My reading of the situation is that there is a bug in the Vista upgrade
process that does not recognise and carry over a valid driver for the Intel
82801 HR/HH/HO Sata Raid Controller. The first re-boot therefore fails with
Stop 7B at the Cylon eye point.

A clean install properly recognises the Raid controller and installs driver
version 6.2.0.1015, but a clean install means hours of extra work
re-installing mountains of software and program settings - not a satisfactory
prospect.

So: does anybody out there know how to re-create my original raid setup, or
is it only possible with a clean install?

"peter" wrote:

> Right...its been awhile since I installed Vista.
> And you of course used that button to install the VISTA Raid
> Drivers.......right??
> peter

Bob Freeth

Re: Intel raid and Vista upgrade
PROBLEM SOLVED

Here is what I did and why I think it soved the problem:

On the XP Pro O/S: updated the Intel Matrix Storage Manager system to
version 7.5.0.1017, and the JMicron raid driver to version 1.17.11.2. Then I
restarted the upgrade which completed successfully.

Now the why:

The previous Intel Storage Manager version 6.2.1.1002 was NOT showing as
having a digital signature in Device Manager; nor was the previous JMicron
driver.

To find out if you are in a similar situation start Device Manager and open
the properties of a device you want to check. Click the Driver tab, then
click the Driver Details button. In the Driver files box look for a green
tick to the left of the file location - no green tick means not digitally
signed.

I believe that the upgrade procedure throws away ANY device driver that is
not digitally signed. Whilst this might not matter too much for a
non-critical device it is a serious failure to do this for your bootable
device! No wonder I ended up with a blue screen.

It would be more sensible to produce a report during the pre-upgrade
procedures to say which device drivers would not be accepted. At least we
would then have the opportunity to do something about it.

Hope this helps others in a similar situation.

Bob Freeth

"Bob Freeth" wrote:

> Perhaps you have never done a Vista upgrade - there is no opportunity to add
> hard disk drivers because it presumes you already have an operational system
> to upgrade.
>
> My reading of the situation is that there is a bug in the Vista upgrade
> process that does not recognise and carry over a valid driver for the Intel
> 82801 HR/HH/HO Sata Raid Controller. The first re-boot therefore fails with
> Stop 7B at the Cylon eye point.
>
> A clean install properly recognises the Raid controller and installs driver
> version 6.2.0.1015, but a clean install means hours of extra work
> re-installing mountains of software and program settings - not a satisfactory
> prospect.
>
> So: does anybody out there know how to re-create my original raid setup, or
> is it only possible with a clean install?
>
> "peter" wrote:
>
> > Right...its been awhile since I installed Vista.
> > And you of course used that button to install the VISTA Raid
> > Drivers.......right??
> > peter

Ralph Malph

Re: Intel raid and Vista upgrade
Bob,

Sorry you are having so much trouble with Vista upgrade. You are not alone
as Microsoft is well aware. But of course MS could care less, they have your
money already.

The fix you suggest will not work on a Vista to Vista upgrade. Plus the
problem needs to be fixed by Microsoft!!!! They have NO EXCUSE for not having
a fix for this problem. EVERY single MVP needs to be calling on a daily bases
and demand that they immediately FIX this problem. After all its only about
50 lines of code that will be needed to do the fix. (OK really its about 10
lines of new code and a call to the sub routine that pulls in the drivers
from the disk, you know the same routine that works fine if doing a scratch
install) This doesn't even mention the fact that Microsoft so badly goofed
the "Upgrade" portion of the Vista install program, that it does not have
enough common sense to use the existing WORKING VISTA drivers, for a Vista to
Vista upgrade. I am going from a perfectly working Raid 5 Vista business
system to Vista Ultimate and until they fix the problem which they have known
about since at least the first week after retail release, I will never be
able to "Upgrade" my vista. Of course they have my $150+ dollars I paid for
the upgrade, and therefor have no incentive to actually fix the well known,
and long existing error.

But, of course, since Microsoft opperates on the Greed principle and they
already have your money, they are in no rush to fix the problem, no 1-900
money in that.

Hey Bill I dare you to prove me wrong and post the permanent fix for this
old problem with in the next 24 hrs.

I'll bet you Bill doesn't do it. Any takers?

Ralph Malph