System path not registered?

Jdplus3

System path not registered?
Hello, I just upgraded xp home to vista business. In trying to run some
system programs like printprmui.exe I got errors like
\system32\printprmui.exe path not found. check path and try again. having
explored more, other system programs like
....\system32\SystemPropertiesAdvanced give the same path does not exist
error.

So, how can I fix the path through the back door? via registry? please give
ideas!
thanks, Jim
--
Rainbow Pediatrics, fairly knowledgable in Windows through XP [but not Vista!]
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: System path not registered?
Hi Jdplus3,

I guess the PATH variable, or other environment variables are not correctly set. Click Start, type "CMD /K SET" and press ENTER. Copy the output shown in the Command Prompt and include the information in your reply. Type "EXIT" to quit the Command Prompt window.

--
Regards,

"Jdplus3" <Jdplus3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41FA2376-55F4-411C-BD5F-909195A3C058@microsoft.com...
Hello, I just upgraded xp home to vista business. In trying to run some
system programs like printprmui.exe I got errors like
\system32\printprmui.exe path not found. check path and try again. having
explored more, other system programs like
....\system32\SystemPropertiesAdvanced give the same path does not exist
error.

So, how can I fix the path through the back door? via registry? please give
ideas!
thanks, Jim
--
Rainbow Pediatrics, fairly knowledgable in Windows through XP [but not Vista!]
Jdplus3

Re: System path not registered?
Ramesh,
Since the time of the posting, I did determine that the PATH did not include
..MSC in the PATHEXT declaration. Fixing this took 2 steps (for others
benefit) first, in an elevated cmd prompt window I executed SET PATHEXT=
[retyped all of the pathext text];.MSC This temporarily fixed the problem
but did not save it on reboot. so next, I did the same and then went to
control panel> advanced system settings (which now worked but did not before
because it is a .MSC) >environmental variables and edited the pathext
variable there. fixed.

I still experience occasional path issues where even system .exe programs
will say "path not found", but life is getting better. attached is my SET
log, I appreciate your help and I hope this helps others.
Jim
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\sTAFF>set
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
APPDATA=C:\Users\sTAFF\AppData\Roaming
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=DELL2
ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\sTAFF
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\sTAFF\AppData\Local
LOGONSERVER=\\DELL2
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\Sys tem32\Wbem;C:\Program
Files\Wa
ve Systems Corp\Dell Preboot Manager\Access Client\v5\;C:\Program
Files\palmOne;
C:\Program Files\Thomson\MTHC\Bin;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead
Systems\MP
EG
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WS F;.WSH;.MSC
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0e08
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
SESSIONNAME=Console
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\Windows
TEMP=C:\Users\sTAFF\AppData\Local\Temp
THC_CONFIG=C:\Program Files\Thomson\MTHC\Config\config.ini
THC_LOG=C:\Program Files\Thomson\MTHC\Config\mthc.properties
TMP=C:\Users\sTAFF\AppData\Local\Temp
USERDOMAIN=DELL2
USERNAME=sTAFF
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\sTAFF
windir=C:\Windows

C:\Users\sTAFF>set
--

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Jdplus3,
>
> I guess the PATH variable, or other environment variables are not correctly set. Click Start, type "CMD /K SET" and press ENTER. Copy the output shown in the Command Prompt and include the information in your reply. Type "EXIT" to quit the Command Prompt window.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Jdplus3" <Jdplus3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41FA2376-55F4-411C-BD5F-909195A3C058@microsoft.com...
> Hello, I just upgraded xp home to vista business. In trying to run some
> system programs like printprmui.exe I got errors like
> \system32\printprmui.exe path not found. check path and try again. having
> explored more, other system programs like
> ....\system32\SystemPropertiesAdvanced give the same path does not exist
> error.
>
> So, how can I fix the path through the back door? via registry? please give
> ideas!
> thanks, Jim
> --
> Rainbow Pediatrics, fairly knowledgable in Windows through XP [but not Vista!]

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: System path not registered?
Hi Jdplus3,

FYI, I tried to reproduce the problem by removing ".MSC" from PATHEXT, and rebooted. I'm still able to run .MSC applets, and the other .exe files (systepropertiesadvanced.exe, systempropertiesprotection.exe etc).

--
Regards,