Cannot boot after Vista installation

slusmiles

Cannot boot after Vista installation
Last night I tried installing Vista Home Premium over XP Media Edition and
when the computer booted at some point, it gut stuck in a boot up loop after
the "loading line" screen. I was able to get to a screen that said windows
had started incorrectly, did I want to boot in safe mode, etc. I rebooted in
reg. mode but got a blue screen that flashed (not enough time to read
message) and my computer rebooted. I chose safe mode this time but it
wouldn't let me continue with safe mode and install. It rebooted again and I
choose reg. mode, but I keep running into the same problem. I am using the
Toshiba vista install tool so I have uninstalled everything necessary and
installed new bios from Toshiba for Vista before upgrade. I got frustrated
and undid the Vista installation, but am now missing 20 programs that I had
to uninstall to proceed with the new installation. I'm just trying to figure
out how to proceed when I attempt to install Vista again.
Don

Re: Cannot boot after Vista installation
slusmiles wrote:
> Last night I tried installing Vista Home Premium over XP Media Edition and
> when the computer booted at some point, it gut stuck in a boot up loop after
> the "loading line" screen. I was able to get to a screen that said windows
> had started incorrectly, did I want to boot in safe mode, etc. I rebooted in
> reg. mode but got a blue screen that flashed (not enough time to read
> message) and my computer rebooted. I chose safe mode this time but it
> wouldn't let me continue with safe mode and install. It rebooted again and I
> choose reg. mode, but I keep running into the same problem. I am using the
> Toshiba vista install tool so I have uninstalled everything necessary and
> installed new bios from Toshiba for Vista before upgrade. I got frustrated
> and undid the Vista installation, but am now missing 20 programs that I had
> to uninstall to proceed with the new installation. I'm just trying to figure
> out how to proceed when I attempt to install Vista again.

As far as I can tell from reading these Vista newsgroups, this kind of
install problem is always caused by incorrect hardware drivers.

In addition to the new BIOS from Toshiba you also need any new hardware
drivers for Vista. Toshiba should have new drivers available on their
website (if they are supporting Vista).

slusmiles

Re: Cannot boot after Vista installation
Thanks for the response. I deleted my antivirus/ firewall and reinstalled. It
worked this time, though I wish I had kept XP. I should have listened to my
gut.