Vista Activation Rigidness A Problem

Al Lounsbury

Vista Activation Rigidness A Problem
OK - get this for how stringent the activation key is.

Without changing ANY actual hardware and by only upgrading the software
drivers for my Nvidia video card, Integrated Intel Sound Card and ATI Tuner
card - Vista Ultimate then declared I had changed the hardware enough and I
now needed to reactivate my installation - thankfully it gave me three days
grace which I would say is also not enough grace.

Of course the internet activation failed since the product key was already
in use. Automatic telephone activation failed as well and then I had to
talk to a live Microsoft person who very politely took down my information
and gave me the activation code.

I can't wait to see what happens when I add a hard drive, upgrade my video
card or anything else. I guess we had all better get ready to start calling
in our activations via the old fashion telephone more often than not. This
seems like a serious step BACKWARDS, than forward.

Al

Ghostrider

Re: Vista Activation Rigidness A Problem
Al Lounsbury wrote:

> OK - get this for how stringent the activation key is.
>
> Without changing ANY actual hardware and by only upgrading the software
> drivers for my Nvidia video card, Integrated Intel Sound Card and ATI Tuner
> card - Vista Ultimate then declared I had changed the hardware enough and I
> now needed to reactivate my installation - thankfully it gave me three days
> grace which I would say is also not enough grace.
>
> Of course the internet activation failed since the product key was already
> in use. Automatic telephone activation failed as well and then I had to
> talk to a live Microsoft person who very politely took down my information
> and gave me the activation code.
>
> I can't wait to see what happens when I add a hard drive, upgrade my video
> card or anything else. I guess we had all better get ready to start calling
> in our activations via the old fashion telephone more often than not. This
> seems like a serious step BACKWARDS, than forward.
>

> Al

Right. It is rumored that Microsoft still has its heart on becoming a
major communications organization, viz., Internet, Broadband, Wireless,
Cellular, Cable and Telephone. It wasn't a few long years ago that the
FCC blocked its attempts to take over a satellite communications outfit.