Reinstall Vista in new computer

Barrie

Reinstall Vista in new computer
I have just built a new system with a new hard drive and want to install
Vista from my own DVD (The previous computer has been taken apart and I will
evtually incorporate its drives in my new one). If I put in my key it says I
must install on top of the previous install or some such message. If I elect
not to put in the licence key it will install but I suspect it is going to
want me to activate within 30 days. What is all this about and what do I
need to do here?
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Reinstall Vista in new computer
If you've got an older XP CD, boot with that and format the drive.

Then restart with the Vista DVD and install.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Barrie" <Barrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just built a new system with a new hard drive and want to install
> Vista from my own DVD (The previous computer has been taken apart and I
> will
> evtually incorporate its drives in my new one). If I put in my key it says
> must install on top of the previous install or some such message. If I
> elect
> not to put in the licence key it will install but I suspect it is going to
> want me to activate within 30 days. What is all this about and what do I
> need to do here?

mikeyhsd

Re: Reinstall Vista in new computer
you can instalal the first time without the key.
immediately when done, install a second time as a update and then enter your key.

see this article.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Barrie" <Barrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73C72CC3-344D-4041-9B6F-C8A31F73320D@microsoft.com...
I have just built a new system with a new hard drive and want to install
Vista from my own DVD (The previous computer has been taken apart and I will
evtually incorporate its drives in my new one). If I put in my key it says I
must install on top of the previous install or some such message. If I elect
not to put in the licence key it will install but I suspect it is going to
want me to activate within 30 days. What is all this about and what do I
need to do here?
Barrie

Re: Reinstall Vista in new computer
Yes, now you say it I think I saw that in a newsletter somewhere. Sounds
slightly illegitimate but, as I have already paid for it, I might as well
give it a try before reformatting etc.