Help with any of the following...? (xposted)

Julian

Help with any of the following...? (xposted)
DVD burning: (RW disk used) So, I drop some files and say burn... off goes
Vista and then the window disappears never to return despite disk activity...

And nothing happens. A balloon pops up saying I have files to write "Click
here..." and nothing happens when I do. And when I try to eject the disk it
says files are in use, but offers to allow me to Continue - which will "close
all files", except it doesn't and there's no way to eject the disk.

If it thinks the files are in use, it could at least tell me WHAT it thinks
is using them - I might be able to do something - but...

[various other media tried too, various apps... nothing seems to work at the
moment]

DVD burning used to work, and I haven't installed anything related to
drivers etc. Was there a patch recently? Any ideas?

Help & Support: Still missing icons (despite a PNG fix suggested by someone
else) Any thoughts?

Temp Files: Does Vista ever clean this area up, or is it up to me? Huge
quantities of junk accumulating!

Explorer: Has no idea which columns to display often giving me only name -
and despite reapplication of the "All Items" template (which has several more)

And where are my Recent Places??? Aaargh!

Why does it keep the DVD name in "Computer" even after a successful eject?
And why the *&^% does Computer take so long to display?

Searching: how do I search IN files with advanced search?

General: is it just me, or does Vista have real problems with its registry?
(see esp. Explorer problem)

....and does anyone know how to find information with Help & Support???
Detestation is a good word for how I feel about the help system...

And the laptop lid no longer sleeps or wakes... how can I tell if it is
hardware or...? (I tried changing what it did, and back again (no restart in
between), but that didn't help)

NEVER EVER buy before SP1 of anything... "Experience... what you get after
you needed it"
ThePro

Re: Help with any of the following...? (xposted)
"Julian" <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Searching: how do I search IN files with advanced search?

Start a search, clic on Search tools | Search options | Select "Search
filenames and content".

ThePro

Julian

Re: Help with any of the following...? (xposted)
I just know this is a dumb question... Search from the Start menu and In an
explorer window... the only Tools menu has Map Network drives. etc. etc.

Where is Search tools/Search options? Aha! Found it...

OK... It looks like a "Folder Option", but I am assuming it is global,
however... I don't want it ALWAYS to search file content (indexed and
non-indexed) by I do want to be able to force a content search as required...
any idea how I do that? Is there some "tag" I can use like "Content:" in the
search box?

NB I note that the "Search Options" button ONLY appears when >=1 character
is in the search box... that's stupid!

"ThePro" wrote:

> "Julian" <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > Searching: how do I search IN files with advanced search?

> Start a search, clic on Search tools | Search options | Select "Search
> filenames and content".
>
> ThePro

freddy

RE: Help with any of the following...? (xposted)
Julian,

I'll take the DVD burning issue, and perhaps others, but only one at a time.
I don't know which burner software your are using. This is important to
know because Vista has built-in writing/burning capability. It's easy to
become confused when using a 3rd party burning program, because Vista may not
know that you're using another program. When you insert a cd or dvd, Vista
may open a window and offer to do handle the job when you are using something
else. So, I need to know how you are handling this situation.
--
freddy

"Julian" wrote:

> DVD burning: (RW disk used) So, I drop some files and say burn... off goes
> Vista and then the window disappears never to return despite disk activity...
>
> And nothing happens. A balloon pops up saying I have files to write "Click
> here..." and nothing happens when I do. And when I try to eject the disk it
> says files are in use, but offers to allow me to Continue - which will "close
> all files", except it doesn't and there's no way to eject the disk.
>
> If it thinks the files are in use, it could at least tell me WHAT it thinks
> is using them - I might be able to do something - but...
>
> [various other media tried too, various apps... nothing seems to work at the
> moment]
>
> DVD burning used to work, and I haven't installed anything related to
> drivers etc. Was there a patch recently? Any ideas?
>
> Help & Support: Still missing icons (despite a PNG fix suggested by someone
> else) Any thoughts?
>
> Temp Files: Does Vista ever clean this area up, or is it up to me? Huge
> quantities of junk accumulating!
>
> Explorer: Has no idea which columns to display often giving me only name -
> and despite reapplication of the "All Items" template (which has several more)
>
> And where are my Recent Places??? Aaargh!
>
> Why does it keep the DVD name in "Computer" even after a successful eject?
> And why the *&^% does Computer take so long to display?
>
> Searching: how do I search IN files with advanced search?
>
> General: is it just me, or does Vista have real problems with its registry?
> (see esp. Explorer problem)
>
> ...and does anyone know how to find information with Help & Support???
> Detestation is a good word for how I feel about the help system...
>
> And the laptop lid no longer sleeps or wakes... how can I tell if it is
> hardware or...? (I tried changing what it did, and back again (no restart in
> between), but that didn't help)
>
> NEVER EVER buy before SP1 of anything... "Experience... what you get after
> you needed it"

Julian

RE: Help with any of the following...? (xposted)
Thanks Freddy...

The key thing is that AFAIK *I* haven't changed anything on this system
since I last burned a DVD successfully (BTW I did successfully write a DVD-R
with Nero Express this evening...)

What happened this morning was 1st a failure with Nero Express on a DVD R/W
- that failed. So I tried Vista;'s own built in stuff... it wouldn't even
format the disk.

I also tried with Nero and Vista adding to an existing Multi-Session disk,
that also failed.

Roxio 9 without the Vista patch came installed on this machine, but I never
use it and, as I said, everything was fine before... and was OK once
afterwards, although I noticed that I only got 4x burning speed on an 8x
disk... it was faster before.

Not sure if that's enough info... but if you have any ideas (or futher Q's)
let me know!

Thanks,

Julian

"freddy" wrote:

> Julian,
>
> I'll take the DVD burning issue, and perhaps others, but only one at a time.
> I don't know which burner software your are using. This is important to
> know because Vista has built-in writing/burning capability. It's easy to
> become confused when using a 3rd party burning program, because Vista may not
> know that you're using another program. When you insert a cd or dvd, Vista
> may open a window and offer to do handle the job when you are using something
> else. So, I need to know how you are handling this situation.
> --
> freddy
>

> "Julian" wrote:
>
> > DVD burning: (RW disk used) So, I drop some files and say burn... off goes
> > Vista and then the window disappears never to return despite disk activity...
> >
> > And nothing happens. A balloon pops up saying I have files to write "Click
> > here..." and nothing happens when I do. And when I try to eject the disk it
> > says files are in use, but offers to allow me to Continue - which will "close
> > all files", except it doesn't and there's no way to eject the disk.
> >
> > If it thinks the files are in use, it could at least tell me WHAT it thinks
> > is using them - I might be able to do something - but...
> >
> > [various other media tried too, various apps... nothing seems to work at the
> > moment]
> >
> > DVD burning used to work, and I haven't installed anything related to
> > drivers etc. Was there a patch recently? Any ideas?
> >
> > Help & Support: Still missing icons (despite a PNG fix suggested by someone
> > else) Any thoughts?
> >
> > Temp Files: Does Vista ever clean this area up, or is it up to me? Huge
> > quantities of junk accumulating!
> >
> > Explorer: Has no idea which columns to display often giving me only name -
> > and despite reapplication of the "All Items" template (which has several more)
> >
> > And where are my Recent Places??? Aaargh!
> >
> > Why does it keep the DVD name in "Computer" even after a successful eject?
> > And why the *&^% does Computer take so long to display?
> >
> > Searching: how do I search IN files with advanced search?
> >
> > General: is it just me, or does Vista have real problems with its registry?
> > (see esp. Explorer problem)
> >
> > ...and does anyone know how to find information with Help & Support???
> > Detestation is a good word for how I feel about the help system...
> >
> > And the laptop lid no longer sleeps or wakes... how can I tell if it is
> > hardware or...? (I tried changing what it did, and back again (no restart in
> > between), but that didn't help)
> >
> > NEVER EVER buy before SP1 of anything... "Experience... what you get after
> > you needed it"

Jon

"Julian" <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> OK... It looks like a "Folder Option", but I am assuming it is global,
> however... I don't want it ALWAYS to search file content (indexed and
> non-indexed) by I do want to be able to force a content search as
> required...
> any idea how I do that? Is there some "tag" I can use like "Content:" in
> the
> search box?

If you want to search on file names only, you can do something like....

FileName:abc

or

FileName:*abc* (using wildcards)

--
Jon

freddy

RE: Help with any of the following...? (xposted)
Julian,

Na, it doesn't help. This business gets technical and complicated. There
are numerous variables, and one almost always has to be there to experience
the situation to envision better what's going on. One needs to observe error
messages, understand the type of disks being used, and the list goes on.
Sometimes new disks are bad out of the wrapper. I've had that experience
several times. When that happens to my wife, she thinks the system is
broken. Who knows? There is a lot of information available for
troubleshooting, and I can tell you, there is not enough room on a forum post
to get very deep into it. Just my reaction.
--
freddy

"Julian" wrote:

> [...]
> > > and despite reapplication of the "All Items" template (which has several more)
> > >
> > > And where are my Recent Places??? Aaargh!
> > >
> > > Why does it keep the DVD name in "Computer" even after a successful eject?
> > > And why the *&^% does Computer take so long to display?
> > >
> > > Searching: how do I search IN files with advanced search?
> > >
> > > General: is it just me, or does Vista have real problems with its registry?
> > > (see esp. Explorer problem)
> > >
> > > ...and does anyone know how to find information with Help & Support???
> > > Detestation is a good word for how I feel about the help system...
> > >
> > > And the laptop lid no longer sleeps or wakes... how can I tell if it is
> > > hardware or...? (I tried changing what it did, and back again (no restart in
> > > between), but that didn't help)
> > >
> > > NEVER EVER buy before SP1 of anything... "Experience... what you get after

Julian

RE: Help with any of the following...? (xposted)
Frreddy - Tell me about it! (One of) the reasons for ditching the HP laptop
was that it had a faulty TS-CORP DVD burner... took a YEAR (not full time,
obviously) to prove the drive was at fault... only failed on Some types of
data with Some types of disk... Some times.

Was just wondering whether anyone else would pop up and say "Yeah! Mine
stopped working just after Patch Tuesday 0/1/2/3 weeks ago" (I haven't burned
anything for a month so that would be close enough)

Thanks for the support though; I recognise the error codes/msgs in the burn
log as being like the HP error, but this is a Sony drive and it worked OK
until just now...

But it gave me a chance to get it off my chest - thanks!

Julian