WinPE 2.0 connection to web service

WhoFan

WinPE 2.0 connection to web service
I am developing an application that has to run under WinPE 2.0. The
application communicates to a web service that needs NTLM
authentication. I am using the XMLHTTP control in a C++ application
to handle the communication. Under WinPE 1.x this works fine and
authentication is negotiated - the world is good. Under WinPE 2.0, I
get an exception from XMLHTTP on the send call. Looking at the
network traffic, WinPE is sending the request, the web service is
responding with 401, negotiate. Under PE 1.x, PE sends the request,
web service sends a 401, PE sends NTLM, web service sends a 401, PE
sends more NTLM data, web service says 200 - here's the data. I have
gone so far as to run FireFox under PE just to very communication and
it works fine.
So, my assumption is that the default settings of PE 2.0 has a high
level of internet security on that XMLHTTP is honoring but FireFox is
ignoring. Does anyone know how to change the internet security
settings of WinPE 2.0 so I can get this to work? I have looked at the
registry settings but do not understand which settings I need to
change to make this run correctly.

Lang Murphy

Re: WinPE 2.0 connection to web service
"WhoFan" <google@sueannanderic.com> wrote in message
news:1180620332.402906.128700@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
>I am developing an application that has to run under WinPE 2.0. The
> application communicates to a web service that needs NTLM
> authentication. I am using the XMLHTTP control in a C++ application
> to handle the communication. Under WinPE 1.x this works fine and
> authentication is negotiated - the world is good. Under WinPE 2.0, I
> get an exception from XMLHTTP on the send call. Looking at the
> network traffic, WinPE is sending the request, the web service is
> responding with 401, negotiate. Under PE 1.x, PE sends the request,
> web service sends a 401, PE sends NTLM, web service sends a 401, PE
> sends more NTLM data, web service says 200 - here's the data. I have
> gone so far as to run FireFox under PE just to very communication and
> it works fine.
> So, my assumption is that the default settings of PE 2.0 has a high
> level of internet security on that XMLHTTP is honoring but FireFox is
> ignoring. Does anyone know how to change the internet security
> settings of WinPE 2.0 so I can get this to work? I have looked at the
> registry settings but do not understand which settings I need to
> change to make this run correctly.

You probably need to disable the FW... sorry, don't have the command at
hand... check the PE 2.0 help file. Good luck.

Lang

WhoFan

On Jun 1, 2:04 am, "Lang Murphy" <lang_mur...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "WhoFan" <goo...@sueannanderic.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1180620332.402906.128700@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
>
> >I am developing an application that has to run under WinPE 2.0. The
> > application communicates to a web service that needs NTLM
> > authentication. I am using the XMLHTTP control in a C++ application
> > to handle the communication. Under WinPE 1.x this works fine and
> > authentication is negotiated - the world is good. Under WinPE 2.0, I
> > get an exception from XMLHTTP on the send call. Looking at the
> > network traffic, WinPE is sending the request, the web service is
> > responding with 401, negotiate. Under PE 1.x, PE sends the request,
> > web service sends a 401, PE sends NTLM, web service sends a 401, PE
> > sends more NTLM data, web service says 200 - here's the data. I have
> > gone so far as to run FireFox under PE just to very communication and
> > it works fine.
> > So, my assumption is that the default settings of PE 2.0 has a high
> > level of internet security on that XMLHTTP is honoring but FireFox is
> > ignoring. Does anyone know how to change the internet security
> > settings of WinPE 2.0 so I can get this to work? I have looked at the
> > registry settings but do not understand which settings I need to
> > change to make this run correctly.

> You probably need to disable the FW... sorry, don't have the command at
> hand... check the PE 2.0 help file. Good luck.
>
> Lang

Well, after 2 weeks of research, work, and a MS service call I finally
have an answer. WinPE is missing the security.dll in the \windows
\system32\ directory. If you take the DLL from a vista install and
put in on the PE system, everything works as expected.

news:1181326035.887627.187840@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> On Jun 1, 2:04 am, "Lang Murphy" <lang_mur...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "WhoFan" <goo...@sueannanderic.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:1180620332.402906.128700@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
>>
>> >I am developing an application that has to run under WinPE 2.0. The
>> > application communicates to a web service that needs NTLM
>> > authentication. I am using the XMLHTTP control in a C++ application
>> > to handle the communication. Under WinPE 1.x this works fine and
>> > authentication is negotiated - the world is good. Under WinPE 2.0, I
>> > get an exception from XMLHTTP on the send call. Looking at the
>> > network traffic, WinPE is sending the request, the web service is
>> > responding with 401, negotiate. Under PE 1.x, PE sends the request,
>> > web service sends a 401, PE sends NTLM, web service sends a 401, PE
>> > sends more NTLM data, web service says 200 - here's the data. I have
>> > gone so far as to run FireFox under PE just to very communication and
>> > it works fine.
>> > So, my assumption is that the default settings of PE 2.0 has a high
>> > level of internet security on that XMLHTTP is honoring but FireFox is
>> > ignoring. Does anyone know how to change the internet security
>> > settings of WinPE 2.0 so I can get this to work? I have looked at the
>> > registry settings but do not understand which settings I need to
>> > change to make this run correctly.

>> You probably need to disable the FW... sorry, don't have the command at
>> hand... check the PE 2.0 help file. Good luck.
>>
>> Lang

> Well, after 2 weeks of research, work, and a MS service call I finally
> have an answer. WinPE is missing the security.dll in the \windows
> \system32\ directory. If you take the DLL from a vista install and
> put in on the PE system, everything works as expected.

Good to know...

Lang

Lang Murphy

Re: WinPE 2.0 connection to web service
"WhoFan" <google@sueannanderic.com> wrote in message
news:1181326035.887627.187840@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> On Jun 1, 2:04 am, "Lang Murphy" <lang_mur...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "WhoFan" <goo...@sueannanderic.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:1180620332.402906.128700@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
>>
>> >I am developing an application that has to run under WinPE 2.0. The
>> > application communicates to a web service that needs NTLM
>> > authentication. I am using the XMLHTTP control in a C++ application
>> > to handle the communication. Under WinPE 1.x this works fine and
>> > authentication is negotiated - the world is good. Under WinPE 2.0, I
>> > get an exception from XMLHTTP on the send call. Looking at the
>> > network traffic, WinPE is sending the request, the web service is
>> > responding with 401, negotiate. Under PE 1.x, PE sends the request,
>> > web service sends a 401, PE sends NTLM, web service sends a 401, PE
>> > sends more NTLM data, web service says 200 - here's the data. I have
>> > gone so far as to run FireFox under PE just to very communication and
>> > it works fine.
>> > So, my assumption is that the default settings of PE 2.0 has a high
>> > level of internet security on that XMLHTTP is honoring but FireFox is
>> > ignoring. Does anyone know how to change the internet security
>> > settings of WinPE 2.0 so I can get this to work? I have looked at the
>> > registry settings but do not understand which settings I need to
>> > change to make this run correctly.

>> You probably need to disable the FW... sorry, don't have the command at
>> hand... check the PE 2.0 help file. Good luck.
>>
>> Lang

> Well, after 2 weeks of research, work, and a MS service call I finally
> have an answer. WinPE is missing the security.dll in the \windows
> \system32\ directory. If you take the DLL from a vista install and
> put in on the PE system, everything works as expected.

Are you using NetFrameWork 2.0 on PE 2.0?

Thanks,

Lang