Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista/Office Sleep problem -- repost -- Anybody?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2007
John Monahan
 

Posts: n/a
Vista/Office Sleep problem -- repost -- Anybody?
I have a problem with all Office 2007 programs not working when I come back
from Vista sleep mode. For example with Outlook 2007, upon clicking on the
Send/Receive button I get no response. If I take the option "Let Outlook
rescue the information", the window goes into light grey mode and sits there
for 3-4 minutes. If I try and cancel the program instead it hangs.
Ctrl+Alt+Del shows up as the tread "Not responding". "End tread" option
takes a few minutes to close. Even if I try and shut down Vista the whole
thing takes 2 minutes. Now interestingly enough if I set the computer in
sleep mode with the application open. When it re-awakes outlook works fine.
If I close the application and immediately reopen it, it again hangs as
above. If I close the hung office program (I use mainly Outlook & Word),
once it finally closes it works OK when reopened.
A few other facts that hopefully may help. After a vista wakeup I have:-

I have no problem reading mail with Vista mail
I have no problem with 2003 Microsoft Front Page.
I remove 2003 Front Page (there are no other 2003 office applications
present) and replace it with Microsoft Expression Web still the above
problem.
Never a problem getting to or from the internet.
All other programs work fine upon returning from sleep mode.
Same problem with Word and Excel as with Outlook.
Office 2003 worked fine on this Visa setup.
The problem is not consistent. If I go into sleep mode for a short while
(minutes) it returns OK. Certainly overnight always a problem.
Every other program on this computer works fine. No problems with drivers,
video boards etc.

This is the third time I am trying to get a suggestion for this frustrating
problem. Please give me some suggestions.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2007
Lang Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista/Office Sleep problem -- repost -- Anybody?
"John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> wrote in message
news:eJ7FauxoHHA.4124@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I have a problem with all Office 2007 programs not working when I come back
>from Vista sleep mode. For example with Outlook 2007, upon clicking on the
>Send/Receive button I get no response. If I take the option "Let Outlook
>rescue the information", the window goes into light grey mode and sits
>there for 3-4 minutes. If I try and cancel the program instead it hangs.
>Ctrl+Alt+Del shows up as the tread "Not responding". "End tread" option
>takes a few minutes to close. Even if I try and shut down Vista the whole
>thing takes 2 minutes. Now interestingly enough if I set the computer in
>sleep mode with the application open. When it re-awakes outlook works fine.
>If I close the application and immediately reopen it, it again hangs as
>above. If I close the hung office program (I use mainly Outlook & Word),
>once it finally closes it works OK when reopened.
> A few other facts that hopefully may help. After a vista wakeup I have:-
>
> I have no problem reading mail with Vista mail
> I have no problem with 2003 Microsoft Front Page.
> I remove 2003 Front Page (there are no other 2003 office applications
> present) and replace it with Microsoft Expression Web still the above
> problem.
> Never a problem getting to or from the internet.
> All other programs work fine upon returning from sleep mode.
> Same problem with Word and Excel as with Outlook.
> Office 2003 worked fine on this Visa setup.
> The problem is not consistent. If I go into sleep mode for a short while
> (minutes) it returns OK. Certainly overnight always a problem.
> Every other program on this computer works fine. No problems with drivers,
> video boards etc.
>
> This is the third time I am trying to get a suggestion for this
> frustrating problem. Please give me some suggestions.



Not sure I fully understand the scenarios you've attempted to describe
above... but I guess the main thing is sometimes when your PC resumes from
sleep, your Office 2007 apps are locked up.

Are you using wired or wireless networking? If wireless, perhaps your
wireless connection takes a couple of minutes to connect after returning
from sleep, which might affect Outlook, but probably not your other Office
apps.

What exactly do you mean by "...if I set the computer in sleep mode with the
application open." Just the app window open on the desktop?

Lang

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2007
John Monahan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista/Office Sleep problem -- repost -- Anybody?
Thanks Lang for trying this one. I have sent this to a number of postings
over the web with no solution yet. I don't really understand what is so
unusual about my setup. Anyway. No I don't use wireless. I have a Netgear
router and have no problems what so ever accessing the internet. I am fairly
convinced it is not a network hookup problem since even though I mainly use
Outlook after a wakeup the exact same symptoms occur with Office Word or
Excel. As is said interestingly even the old Front Page 2003 worked fine as
does its replacement Microsoft Web Expression.

To explain the last item more:-
If bring up Outlook and use it on the desktop and then go to the start
button come across to the bottom left hand button which pops up:-
"keep your session in memory and put your computer in low power state so you
can quickly resume working"
and hit that button. The computer shuts down.
If I hit a key to restart it. The Outlook on the still on the desktop works
fine. Now if I close that Outlook session and immediately restart it it
comes up "Not Responding" If I minimize it and wait about say 5 minutes and
reopen it it is OK.
To stress again nothing special about Outlook. All Office 2007 programs
behave the same way.

This thing is driving me up the wall!


"Lang Murphy" <lang_murphy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:BCFC3778-D233-472D-887C-A2B01CCB11D1@microsoft.com...
> "John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> wrote in message
> news:eJ7FauxoHHA.4124@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>I have a problem with all Office 2007 programs not working when I come
>>back from Vista sleep mode. For example with Outlook 2007, upon clicking
>>on the Send/Receive button I get no response. If I take the option "Let
>>Outlook rescue the information", the window goes into light grey mode and
>>sits there for 3-4 minutes. If I try and cancel the program instead it
>>hangs. Ctrl+Alt+Del shows up as the tread "Not responding". "End tread"
>>option takes a few minutes to close. Even if I try and shut down Vista the
>>whole thing takes 2 minutes. Now interestingly enough if I set the
>>computer in sleep mode with the application open. When it re-awakes
>>outlook works fine. If I close the application and immediately reopen it,
>>it again hangs as above. If I close the hung office program (I use mainly
>>Outlook & Word), once it finally closes it works OK when reopened.
>> A few other facts that hopefully may help. After a vista wakeup I have:-
>>
>> I have no problem reading mail with Vista mail
>> I have no problem with 2003 Microsoft Front Page.
>> I remove 2003 Front Page (there are no other 2003 office applications
>> present) and replace it with Microsoft Expression Web still the above
>> problem.
>> Never a problem getting to or from the internet.
>> All other programs work fine upon returning from sleep mode.
>> Same problem with Word and Excel as with Outlook.
>> Office 2003 worked fine on this Visa setup.
>> The problem is not consistent. If I go into sleep mode for a short while
>> (minutes) it returns OK. Certainly overnight always a problem.
>> Every other program on this computer works fine. No problems with
>> drivers, video boards etc.
>>
>> This is the third time I am trying to get a suggestion for this
>> frustrating problem. Please give me some suggestions.

>
>
> Not sure I fully understand the scenarios you've attempted to describe
> above... but I guess the main thing is sometimes when your PC resumes from
> sleep, your Office 2007 apps are locked up.
>
> Are you using wired or wireless networking? If wireless, perhaps your
> wireless connection takes a couple of minutes to connect after returning
> from sleep, which might affect Outlook, but probably not your other Office
> apps.
>
> What exactly do you mean by "...if I set the computer in sleep mode with
> the application open." Just the app window open on the desktop?
>
> Lang


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2007
Lang Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista/Office Sleep problem -- repost -- Anybody?
"John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> wrote in message
news:%23NYmt26oHHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Lang for trying this one. I have sent this to a number of postings
> over the web with no solution yet. I don't really understand what is so
> unusual about my setup. Anyway. No I don't use wireless. I have a Netgear
> router and have no problems what so ever accessing the internet. I am
> fairly convinced it is not a network hookup problem since even though I
> mainly use Outlook after a wakeup the exact same symptoms occur with
> Office Word or Excel. As is said interestingly even the old Front Page
> 2003 worked fine as does its replacement Microsoft Web Expression.
>
> To explain the last item more:-
> If bring up Outlook and use it on the desktop and then go to the start
> button come across to the bottom left hand button which pops up:-
> "keep your session in memory and put your computer in low power state so
> you can quickly resume working"
> and hit that button. The computer shuts down.
> If I hit a key to restart it. The Outlook on the still on the desktop
> works fine. Now if I close that Outlook session and immediately restart it
> it comes up "Not Responding" If I minimize it and wait about say 5 minutes
> and reopen it it is OK.
> To stress again nothing special about Outlook. All Office 2007 programs
> behave the same way.
>
> This thing is driving me up the wall!
>
>
> "Lang Murphy" <lang_murphy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:BCFC3778-D233-472D-887C-A2B01CCB11D1@microsoft.com...
>> "John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> wrote in message
>> news:eJ7FauxoHHA.4124@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>I have a problem with all Office 2007 programs not working when I come
>>>back from Vista sleep mode. For example with Outlook 2007, upon clicking
>>>on the Send/Receive button I get no response. If I take the option "Let
>>>Outlook rescue the information", the window goes into light grey mode and
>>>sits there for 3-4 minutes. If I try and cancel the program instead it
>>>hangs. Ctrl+Alt+Del shows up as the tread "Not responding". "End tread"
>>>option takes a few minutes to close. Even if I try and shut down Vista
>>>the whole thing takes 2 minutes. Now interestingly enough if I set the
>>>computer in sleep mode with the application open. When it re-awakes
>>>outlook works fine. If I close the application and immediately reopen it,
>>>it again hangs as above. If I close the hung office program (I use mainly
>>>Outlook & Word), once it finally closes it works OK when reopened.
>>> A few other facts that hopefully may help. After a vista wakeup I have:-
>>>
>>> I have no problem reading mail with Vista mail
>>> I have no problem with 2003 Microsoft Front Page.
>>> I remove 2003 Front Page (there are no other 2003 office applications
>>> present) and replace it with Microsoft Expression Web still the above
>>> problem.
>>> Never a problem getting to or from the internet.
>>> All other programs work fine upon returning from sleep mode.
>>> Same problem with Word and Excel as with Outlook.
>>> Office 2003 worked fine on this Visa setup.
>>> The problem is not consistent. If I go into sleep mode for a short while
>>> (minutes) it returns OK. Certainly overnight always a problem.
>>> Every other program on this computer works fine. No problems with
>>> drivers, video boards etc.
>>>
>>> This is the third time I am trying to get a suggestion for this
>>> frustrating problem. Please give me some suggestions.

>>
>>
>> Not sure I fully understand the scenarios you've attempted to describe
>> above... but I guess the main thing is sometimes when your PC resumes
>> from sleep, your Office 2007 apps are locked up.
>>
>> Are you using wired or wireless networking? If wireless, perhaps your
>> wireless connection takes a couple of minutes to connect after returning
>> from sleep, which might affect Outlook, but probably not your other
>> Office apps.
>>
>> What exactly do you mean by "...if I set the computer in sleep mode with
>> the application open." Just the app window open on the desktop?
>>
>> Lang

>



Yeah, that is pretty weird. Have you tried shutting down other apps that
might be running in memory? Stuff that might not show up on the desktop but
in the notification area or maybe not there either. Check the Startup folder
in the Orb menu. Check the registry for entries in
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run . Check services to see
what might be running from 3rd parties.

Lang


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2007
Manuel B. Nonaca
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista/Office Sleep problem -- repost -- Anybody?
Hello John,

I don't seem to have a problem with all (7) of Office 2007 applications
open/running on Vista (64) but my power plan is set for Balanced and set to
'never sleep' (except in trying to duplicate your problem). It sounds like
you have another application/hardware hanging . You might want to look at
some of the settings for your power plan and tweak were appropriate.

Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options

Try this link for MS TechNet titled "Windows Vista Reliability and
Performance Features and Improvements" and focus on the Built-In
Diagnostics.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa905071.aspx

Good luck!
--

Manuel Nonaca
MIS/M University of Phoenix Online
Clovis, CA (PST)


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2007
Wandering
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista/Office Sleep problem -- repost -- Anybody?
Hi John,

I am running on a Vista Business laptop with Office pro 2007 and I am having
exactly the same problem. Everything is hunky dory until the toshiba
satellite pro goes into sleep mode and from that point neither outlook nor
Word will start properly.

My only solution to this is to remove office and reinstall. It totally sucks.



"Manuel B. Nonaca" wrote:

> Hello John,
>
> I don't seem to have a problem with all (7) of Office 2007 applications
> open/running on Vista (64) but my power plan is set for Balanced and set to
> 'never sleep' (except in trying to duplicate your problem). It sounds like
> you have another application/hardware hanging . You might want to look at
> some of the settings for your power plan and tweak were appropriate.
>
> Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options
>
> Try this link for MS TechNet titled "Windows Vista Reliability and
> Performance Features and Improvements" and focus on the Built-In
> Diagnostics.
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa905071.aspx
>
> Good luck!
> --
>
> Manuel Nonaca
> MIS/M University of Phoenix Online
> Clovis, CA (PST)
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista/Office Sleep problem -- repost -- Anybody? John Monahan microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 07-28-2007 02:54
Long standing problem with Office 2007 hanging when returning from Vista sleep mode John Monahan microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 05-11-2007 05:14
Long standing problem with Office 2007 hanging when returning from Vista sleep mode John Monahan microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 05-11-2007 05:14
Vista returning from sleep mode and a problem with Office 2007 John Monahan microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 04-25-2007 02:57
Bitlocker problem (repost) Troy McClure microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 02-28-2007 20:55




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:51.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120