WARNING message

dev

WARNING message
I have researched the MS KB and other sources, but none lists precisely
this WARNING in a similar scenario...

"Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from
the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0011D8767D7C.
The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user.. Your computer will continue to
try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP)
server."

Not crucial, no connectivity problem...yet would like to eliminate the
repeated instances of this event.

DSL with Marvel Yukon controller here. Suggestions?
Michael Solomon

Re: WARNING message

"dev" <dev@null.invalid> wrote in message
>I have researched the MS KB and other sources, but none lists precisely
> this WARNING in a similar scenario...
>
> "Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from
> the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0011D8767D7C.
> The following error occurred:
> The operation was canceled by the user.. Your computer will continue to
> try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP)
> server."
>
> Not crucial, no connectivity problem...yet would like to eliminate the
> repeated instances of this event.
>
> DSL with Marvel Yukon controller here. Suggestions?

Dev, could your firewall be the issue? If your firewall keeps logs, you
might want to check them to see if anything that might correspond to this
might be temporarily blocked...likely incoming. Also, if you are using a
wireless router, there might be something in its security setup that is the
source of the issue.

Event Viewer in Administrative Tools might offer an Event ID and source that
might lead to some additional information as well.

--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend

dev

Re: WARNING message
/Michael Solomon/ said:

> "dev" <dev@null.invalid> wrote in message
>> I have researched the MS KB and other sources, but none lists
>> precisely this WARNING in a similar scenario...
>>
>> "Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network
>> (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address
>> 0011D8767D7C. The following error occurred: The operation was
>> canceled by the user.. Your computer will continue to try and
>> obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP)
>> server."
>>
>> Not crucial, no connectivity problem...yet would like to eliminate
>> the repeated instances of this event.
>>
>> DSL with Marvel Yukon controller here. Suggestions?

> Dev, could your firewall be the issue? If your firewall keeps logs,
> you might want to check them to see if anything that might correspond
> to this might be temporarily blocked...likely incoming. Also, if
> you are using a wireless router, there might be something in its
> security setup that is the source of the issue.
>
> Event Viewer in Administrative Tools might offer an Event ID and
> source that might lead to some additional information as well.

Thanks Michael for the thoughts,

Checked on Event 1003. Similar listings, but suggestions did not appear
to relate to the set up here. Using a wireless-capable router, but
wireless mode and its firewall are both OFF, as is Vista's firewall.

> /Michael Solomon/ said:
>>
>> "dev" <dev@null.invalid> wrote in message
>>> I have researched the MS KB and other sources, but none lists
>>> precisely this WARNING in a similar scenario...
>>>
>>> "Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network
>>> (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address
>>> 0011D8767D7C. The following error occurred: The operation was
>>> canceled by the user.. Your computer will continue to try and
>>> obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP)
>>> server."
>>>
>>> Not crucial, no connectivity problem...yet would like to eliminate
>>> the repeated instances of this event.
>>>
>>> DSL with Marvel Yukon controller here. Suggestions?

>> Dev, could your firewall be the issue? If your firewall keeps logs,
>> you might want to check them to see if anything that might correspond
>> to this might be temporarily blocked...likely incoming. Also, if
>> you are using a wireless router, there might be something in its
>> security setup that is the source of the issue.
>>
>> Event Viewer in Administrative Tools might offer an Event ID and
>> source that might lead to some additional information as well.

> Thanks Michael for the thoughts,
>
> Checked on Event 1003. Similar listings, but suggestions did not appear
> to relate to the set up here. Using a wireless-capable router, but
> wireless mode and its firewall are both OFF, as is Vista's firewall.

I think I have it, Dev. It appears to be a server side issue. In other
words, the request is timing out, probably some ISP issue.

Here's what I found at Eventid.net:
DHCP
Type Warning
Description Your computer was not able to renew its address from the
network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address
<MAC address>. The following error occured:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. Your computer will continue to try
and obtain an address on its own from the network address {DHCP} server.

This sure looks like a server side issue to me, in which case it should
clear up without any intervention from you. You might contact your ISP and
alert them or check their website to see if they have posted any current
issues.

/Michael Solomon/ said:

> "dev" <dev@null.invalid> wrote in message
>> /Michael Solomon/ said:
>>> "dev" <dev@null.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Dev, could your firewall be the issue? If your firewall keeps logs,
>>> you might want to check them to see if anything that might correspond
>>> to this might be temporarily blocked...likely incoming. Also, if
>>> you are using a wireless router, there might be something in its
>>> security setup that is the source of the issue.
>>>
>>> Event Viewer in Administrative Tools might offer an Event ID and
>>> source that might lead to some additional information as well.

>> Thanks Michael for the thoughts,
>>
>> Checked on Event 1003. Similar listings, but suggestions did not appear
>> to relate to the set up here. Using a wireless-capable router, but
>> wireless mode and its firewall are both OFF, as is Vista's firewall.

> I think I have it, Dev. It appears to be a server side issue. In other
> words, the request is timing out, probably some ISP issue.
>
> Here's what I found at Eventid.net:
> DHCP
> Type Warning
> Description Your computer was not able to renew its address from the
> network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address
> <MAC address>. The following error occured:
> The semaphore timeout period has expired. Your computer will continue to try
> and obtain an address on its own from the network address {DHCP} server.
>
> This sure looks like a server side issue to me, in which case it should
> clear up without any intervention from you. You might contact your ISP and
> alert them or check their website to see if they have posted any current
> issues.

I had seen that one, but noted that my error message does not refer to
"semaphone timeout period." Yet I may just check with the ISP to see if
they have ideas about the issue. Best