Dell Recovery

Mark

Dell Recovery
I have a Dell system with the usual tale of an OEM install with no MS discs
but a recovery partition and a boot disc.

Is there any way I can get the system set up how I want it and then "save"
the setup image so that it is that that is installed if I ever need to run
setup again? I don't want to change the OS or the PC just don't want the
hassle of deleting a dozen programmes I don't want.

Mark

Michael Solomon

Re: Dell Recovery

"Mark" <me@home> wrote in message
>I have a Dell system with the usual tale of an OEM install with no MS discs
>but a recovery partition and a boot disc.
>
> Is there any way I can get the system set up how I want it and then "save"
> the setup image so that it is that that is installed if I ever need to run
> setup again? I don't want to change the OS or the PC just don't want the
> hassle of deleting a dozen programmes I don't want.
>
> Mark

Have you checked out imaging applications. I use Acronis True Image 10 Home
Edition. You can learn about it here:
http://tinyurl.com/32byls

If it interests you, you might want to check out Amazon and some other
places for a better price but be sure it isn't an upgrade version as that
would require the key from your previous version plus the new key in order
to install.

In any event, I've already used it for the purpose you've mentioned though I
don't have a Dell. But I can tell you on my setup, I've already used it to
replace a setup without issue. Before you do anything, You might want to
check with Dell to be sure you won't have issues trying to restore such an
image as some proprietary systems can be a bit finicky.

--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend

Tim

Re: Dell Recovery
Hmmm...I've purchased in excess of 30 Dell PCs over the past several years
(two months ago being the latest). All of them came with restore CDs that
didn't necessarily rely on a recovery partition. I know that because I have
installed new hard drives and re-loaded Windows from those restore CDs.

You might want to check your disks and documentation more closely.

But to answer your question directly...there are programs that do exactly
what you are asking to do. The first one that comes to mind is Ghost
(although I think Symantec has renamed it...not sure to what). I've used
Ghost numerous times and it works. I know there are others but names don't
come to mind. And an image restore would be way faster than a
re-install...so that would be a smart move.

Tim

"Mark" <me@home> wrote in message
>I have a Dell system with the usual tale of an OEM install with no MS discs
>but a recovery partition and a boot disc.
>
> Is there any way I can get the system set up how I want it and then "save"
> the setup image so that it is that that is installed if I ever need to run
> setup again? I don't want to change the OS or the PC just don't want the
> hassle of deleting a dozen programmes I don't want.
>
> Mark

AJR

Re: Dell Recovery
Aconis True Image has an option, in addition to using an external HD or
removable media, which will create a Recovery Partition much like the OEMs
except that it will do either incremental or differential automatically. It
also modifies the MBR to display "Hit F-ll to Restore" at boot.

It is an "Image" backup (Not sector) - compresses and does not backup free
space.

"Mark" <me@home> wrote in message
>I have a Dell system with the usual tale of an OEM install with no MS discs
>but a recovery partition and a boot disc.
>
> Is there any way I can get the system set up how I want it and then "save"
> the setup image so that it is that that is installed if I ever need to run
> setup again? I don't want to change the OS or the PC just don't want the
> hassle of deleting a dozen programmes I don't want.
>
> Mark

Michael Solomon

Re: Dell Recovery

"Tim" <tim_at_overthere.com> wrote in message
> Hmmm...I've purchased in excess of 30 Dell PCs over the past several years
> (two months ago being the latest). All of them came with restore CDs that
> didn't necessarily rely on a recovery partition. I know that because I
> have installed new hard drives and re-loaded Windows from those restore
> CDs.
>
> You might want to check your disks and documentation more closely.
>
> But to answer your question directly...there are programs that do exactly
> what you are asking to do. The first one that comes to mind is Ghost
> (although I think Symantec has renamed it...not sure to what). I've used
> Ghost numerous times and it works. I know there are others but names don't
> come to mind. And an image restore would be way faster than a
> re-install...so that would be a smart move.
>
> Tim

Tim, even if his system has disks, that will only restore him to factory
fresh condition with many things he doesn't want included and without things
he wants included. He doesn't want to go through the hassle of always
having to remove some things and install others any time he tries to start
over fresh.
--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

Tim

Re: Dell Recovery
True, Michael...that's why I also mentioned Ghost. I find all that extra
stuff "from the factory" very annoying. I spend more time getting rid of it
than it took to install in the first place ;-)

I was just concerned that the OP thought the restore disks could not stand
on their own...that without a recovery partition the disk was useless. But
maybe I mis-insterpreted it.

Tim

newsA6CA1C8-3B1F-4EB1-89C2-F30AB84FBCED@microsoft.com...

> I was just concerned that the OP thought the restore disks could not stand
> on their own...that without a recovery partition the disk was useless. But
> maybe I mis-insterpreted it.
>
> Tim

Ah, gotcha, no problem.

I used to use Ghost myself, then Drive Image, then Symantec purchased the
company that made Drive Image, then Drive Image and Ghost remained briefly
separate, then they combined them...confused yet?<LOL> I found the whole
thing disconcerting....I moved to Acronis!<VBG>

I had the same issue when I was still using commercial, off the shelf PCs.
Now, I have mine shop built to my specifications and, of course, one of the
advantages is no junk on the hard drive!:-)

--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

...winston

Re: Dell Recovery
Just a version number rename, it's now Ghost 12. Prior versions should not be installed on Vista since within Vista they do not understand Vista's unique NTFS changes, though they can be used from XP(dual boot system) or the Emergency cd to create and restore a Vista image.
- Note: If using a prior Ghost 10 or 2003(ghost.exe) emergency disk or cd on a dual boot system it would also be appropriate to create same date images of both xp and vista and restore both if necessary.

...winston

"Tim" <tim_at_overthere.com> wrote in message news:FAE6E8C0-F62B-49F1-84AA-D54F473BCD82@microsoft.com...
: ...there are programs that do exactly
: what you are asking to do. The first one that comes to mind is Ghost
: (although I think Symantec has renamed it...not sure to what).

insane membrane

Re: Dell Recovery
Hi, I have read your post seems that your very familar with dell comp. I have
been trying to figure out if the option is avaliable to where I can create a
set of recovery disc to restore the computer back to the factory image as it
came from the factory with all the programs preinstalled, I do have to
reisntalliont DVD but that only gives me just the windows vist home premium
os with all the programs preinstalled, I am just trying to save my self some
time, alot of time resinstalling all the programs and drivers that came with
the comptuer,
I had another computer Windows XP home edition that i was able to create a
set of system recovery disc wich i used and it recovered the entire comptuer
back to the factory image with all programs preinstalled, I had to do that
once becuase somehow a worm got past my virus protection program did damage
in my computer then when i noticed did a factory image restore and i had also
somehow wiggled its way into the recovery partion and literally destroyed
that to, I was lucky that i had created a full set of recovery disc which
allowed me to recover the computer back to the factory image,
Thats what i was wanting to do on my windows vista home premium to create
set of recovery disc that would recover the computer to the factory image
just like i had pulled it new out of the box
Would I be able to recover the comptuer back to the factory image if i had
just copied the recovery partition to cd-r/dvd-r?
just trying to stay step ahead and avoiding a big headache in the future,
sorry for the long reply

"Tim" wrote:

> Hmmm...I've purchased in excess of 30 Dell PCs over the past several years
> (two months ago being the latest). All of them came with restore CDs that
> didn't necessarily rely on a recovery partition. I know that because I have
> installed new hard drives and re-loaded Windows from those restore CDs.
>
> You might want to check your disks and documentation more closely.
>
> But to answer your question directly...there are programs that do exactly
> what you are asking to do. The first one that comes to mind is Ghost
> (although I think Symantec has renamed it...not sure to what). I've used
> Ghost numerous times and it works. I know there are others but names don't
> come to mind. And an image restore would be way faster than a
> re-install...so that would be a smart move.
>
> Tim
>
> "Mark" <me@home> wrote in message
> >I have a Dell system with the usual tale of an OEM install with no MS discs
> >but a recovery partition and a boot disc.
> >
> > Is there any way I can get the system set up how I want it and then "save"
> > the setup image so that it is that that is installed if I ever need to run
> > setup again? I don't want to change the OS or the PC just don't want the
> > hassle of deleting a dozen programmes I don't want.
> >
> > Mark

Bert Kinney

Re: Dell Recovery
Hi Mark,