Save As

Zygy

Save As
I have a DVD R/RW in Drive H and CD-R/RW in Drive I on my new PC with
Win.Vista Business. I installed Roxio Easy Media Creator 9. I had no
problems in performance of "Save As" onto CDs in these Drives with Win.XP,
but when I want to save a File from Excel or Word now I get a message that
the CDs are "Write Protected", So how do I "Save As" now? Is there a
solution to this problem?

Mr. Arnold

Re: Save As

"Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a DVD R/RW in Drive H and CD-R/RW in Drive I on my new PC with
>Win.Vista Business. I installed Roxio Easy Media Creator 9. I had no
>problems in performance of "Save As" onto CDs in these Drives with Win.XP,
>but when I want to save a File from Excel or Word now I get a message that
>the CDs are "Write Protected", So how do I "Save As" now? Is there a
>solution to this problem?

I had kind of a similar problem. It had to do with attaching a SQL Server
..Northwind.mdf and the Pubs.mdf files to SQL Server. SQL Server was
indicating that the files were read/write protected and it couldn't do the
attach.

I went to the file Properties and the Read Only was not checked. So it was
what is this thing talking, because I have done the same thing with SQL
Server on XP and other NT based O/S(s) in attaching database files?

I went to the Security tab for each file on Vista and check permissions for
all the accounts showing, like Admin users, which had Full Control.

The one account that didn't have Full Control was machine name/users. I gave
machine name/users Full Control.

I was then able to get things to work and did the Attach.

Don't hold me to it, but you might want to look in that area.

Zygy

Re: Save As
Many thanks for the reply. I checked the Properties and found the same
situation like your did, but for the life of me I cannot find the "Security
tab" to which you refer - can you point me in the right direction?

> Many thanks for the reply. I checked the Properties and found the same
> situation like your did, but for the life of me I cannot find the
> "Security tab" to which you refer - can you point me in the right
> direction?

<copied>
Why is the Security tab missing from my file and folder properties?

The Security tab is not available on file and folder properties in Windows
Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Home Basic, and Windows Vista Starter. The
Security tab also is not available if you are using the FAT or FAT32 file
system.

<copied>

I am using Ultimate. I knew this was true for XP Home as opposed to PRO
about the Security tab.

You might have to go to the drive level and click Properties there to see if
the Security Tab is there, which I can see the tab on <C>. If it's there you
may be able to apply something from that angle.

Mr. Arnold

Re: Save As

>> "Zygy" <zygy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a DVD R/RW in Drive H and CD-R/RW in Drive I on my new PC with
>>>Win.Vista Business. I installed Roxio Easy Media Creator 9. I had no
>>>problems in performance of "Save As" onto CDs in these Drives with
>>>Win.XP, but when I want to save a File from Excel or Word now I get a
>>>message that the CDs are "Write Protected", So how do I "Save As" now? Is
>>>there a solution to this problem?

Opps, that tab wouldn't be there for a CD or DVD, because it's not NTFS.

Zygy

Re: Save As
Hi, I am on Vista Business.

> Hi, I am on Vista Business.

Yes, and you should see that Security tab if you went to Properties on any
file or folder on the HD since its format will be using NTFS. But you will
not see the Security tab for something on the CD or DVD, since they are not
on the HD and are not using NTFS as the file system.