How to repair Vista?

Jack Tripper

How to repair Vista?
My problems have progressed from invalid/missing/corrupt icons:
http://tinyurl.com/2whpf7

to the Open and Save dialog boxes locking up any program that uses them, and
Explorer doing the same. Very limiting, since most applications load or save
files, or i sometimes want to see my computer.

i've tried System Restore.
i've tried sfc /scannow

All that's left is to try to repair my computer.

i've tried booting from the Windows Vista DVD, and selecting the "Repair My
Computer" option. Unfortunatly, the only choices availabe are:
Startup repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

None of these are for repairing a computer.

i read that if i try to install Vista in-place as an upgrade: my copy of
Vista will be dclared illegal.

So the question is how do i repair my computer?

Feature regression from Windows XP?
Rock

Re: How to repair Vista?
"Jack Tripper" wrote
> My problems have progressed from invalid/missing/corrupt icons:
> http://tinyurl.com/2whpf7
>
> to the Open and Save dialog boxes locking up any program that uses them,
> and
> Explorer doing the same. Very limiting, since most applications load or
> save
> files, or i sometimes want to see my computer.
>
> i've tried System Restore.
> i've tried sfc /scannow
>
> All that's left is to try to repair my computer.
>
> i've tried booting from the Windows Vista DVD, and selecting the "Repair
> My
> Computer" option. Unfortunatly, the only choices availabe are:
> Startup repair
> System Restore
> Windows Complete PC Restore
> Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
> Command Prompt
>
> None of these are for repairing a computer.
>
> i read that if i try to install Vista in-place as an upgrade: my copy of
> Vista will be dclared illegal.

Where did you read that? Several reputable people have posted having
success with doing an in place upgrade to resolve problems. It doesn't make
your system illegal AFAIK.

I have also seen one or two posts where the OP said there were more problems
after it. If the situation is just getting worse it's worth a try. I would
image the system first to an external hard drive using something like
Acronis True Image.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Chad Harris

Re: How to repair Vista?
Hi Jack--

All your problems could be due to spyware. Make sure you run Defender or if
you have One Care run its spyware scanner and its AV. Run AV program. Most
likely by odds you have software files corrupted; fixing a computer can
entail fixing hdw; fixing software more frequently broken, fixing both, and
making sure your pc has the requirements and the drivers for Vista. You
haven't given details on your HD either but here are 10 ways to fix Vista
below. You looked at Startup Repair by your account but did not use it or
the other ways to fix so please read on:

If no help from SFC, you can try a restore point to before this happened or
you try the steps below if you have a Vista DVD:

Startup Repair will look like this when you put in the Vista DVD:

http://www.vistaclues.com/wp-content...r-computer.png

You run the startup repair tool this way (and system restore from here is
also sometimes effective):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

I'm going to give you a bunch of links and most of them you won't have to
use, but they are alternative ways to fix Vista.

Right now I want you to put in the DVD and restart. It will automatically
take you to this on your screen:

http://www.vistaclues.com/wp-content...r-computer.png

That will allow you to go to the Vista setup that has a Repair link on the
lower left corner>click it and then you'll see a gray backgrounded list and
I want you to click Startup Repair from it and follow the directions.

The gray screen after you click the first link in the above pic will look
like this:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winv...ir/Image17.gif

Click Startup Repair, the link at the top and after it scans>click OK and
let it try to repair Vista. It will tell you if it does, and if not

This should work, but if not,then you can follow the alternative ways to fix
this including booting into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key and using System
Restore.

Directions and links for alternative ways to fix this are below, but I hope
you won't need them:

If you have any questions on getting the Startup Repair done, just post
them.

If you have a Vista DVD try Startup Repair. If that doesn't work, try
SafeMode>System Restore from the Recovery Environment, and you always have
the F8 advanced options ( five of them including Last Known Good
Configuration) and a repair install (with the DVD) as well.

In addition you can use the Bootsect tool to manually repair the boot sector
by accessing the command prompt from the DVD or from F8 and typing at the
prompt:

****Ten Methods to Repair BSOD No Boots or Serious Problems in Windows
Vista****

***Startup Repair and System Restore from the Win Recovery Environment on
the DVD***

You can run Startup Repair by putting your Vista DVD in after theanguage
screen in setup. You can also run System Restore from the same
location.

You run the startup repair tool this way (and system restore from here is
also sometimes effective):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

Note The computer must be configured to start from a CD or from a DVD. For
information about how to configure the computer to start from a CD or from a
DVD, see the information that came with the computer.
2. Restart the computer. To do this, click Start, click the arrow next to
the Lock button, and then click Restart.

This usually means that you enter bios setup by whatever key or keys
(sometimes there is more than one key that will do it for your model--go to
pc manufacturer site) and configure CD to be first in the boot order (this
will allow you to boot from the Vista DVD as well):

See for ref:
Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Boot Order in Bios (Set Boot from HD 1st)
http://www.short-media.com/images/mm...ios/bios03.jpg

Note If you cannot restart the computer by using this method, use the power
button to turn off the computer. Then, turn the computer back on.

3. Set your language preference, and then click Next.

Note In most cases, the startup repair process starts automatically, and you
do not have the option to select it in the System Recovery Options menu.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click the operating system
that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair to start the
repair process.

7. When the repair process is complete, click Finish.

Additional References for Startup Repair With Screenshots:

How to Use Startup Repair:

***Accessing Windows RE (Repair Environment):***

1) Insert Media into PC (the DVD you burned)

2) ***You will see on the Vista logo setup screen after lang. options in the
lower left corner, a link called "System Recovery Options."***

Screenshot: System Recovery Options (Lower Left Link)
http://blogs.itecn.net/photos/liuhui...4/500x375.aspx

Screenshot: (Click first option "Startup Repair"
http://www.leedesmond.com/images/img...SysRecOpt2.bmp

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

3) Select your OS for repair.

4) Its been my experience that you can see some causes of the crash from
theWin RE feature:

You'll have a choice there of using:

1) Startup Repair
2) System Restore
3) Complete PC Restore
___________________

In addition you can use the Bootsect tool to manually repair the boot sector
by accessing the command prompt from the DVD or from F8 and typing at the
prompt:

Bootsect.exe is available from the \Boot\folder of the Windows Vista DVD and
can be run from within System Recovery or Windows XP on a dual boot.

1. Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Windows Vista MBR and the boot code that
transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager program. To do this, type the
following command at a command prompt: Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation
media is located.

Note The boot folder for this step is on the DVD drive.
2. Use Bcdedit.exe to manually create an entry in the BCD Boot.ini file for
the earlier version of the Windows operating system. To do this, type the
following commands at a command prompt.

Note In these commands, Drive is the drive where Windows Vista is
installed. • Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /create {ntldr} –d "Description
for earlier Windows version"

Note In this command, Description for earlier Windows version can be any
text that you want. For example, Description for earlier Windows version can
be "Windows XP" or "Windows Server 2003".
• Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=x:

Note In this command, x: is the drive letter for the active partition.
• Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
• Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} –addlast

3. Restart the computer.
____________________________
******Using the BootRec.exe Tool

Using the System Recovery Tool from the Repair link on the DVD after the
language choice in the lower left hand corner you can select command prompt
and you have the following options:

Bootrec.exe (You can use this tool to recover Vista even when you do not
receive the error message that is the title of the 2nd linked MSKB below):

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

Error message when you start Windows Vista: "The Windows Boot Configuration
Data file is missing required information"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391/en-us
***Using the F8 Environment or a Repair Install from the DVD:***

See for ref:
Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Boot Order in Bios (Set Boot from HD 1st)
http://www.short-media.com/images/mm...ios/bios03.jpg

Repair Install
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

Repair Install (Method 2):

III Taking Full Advantage of the F8 Options (Windows Advanced Options Menu)
by startin gth ePC and tapping F8 once per second:

You could also:

Think: I have 4 different ways to get back my XP at F8 and try 'em in order.
1) Safe Mode 2) Safe Mode with Cmd to Sys Restore which is simply a cmd
prompt in safe mode 3) Safe Mode with Neworking 4) LKG or Last Known Good
Configuration

Try to F8 to the Windows Adv Options Menu>try 3 safe modes there (I don't
use WGA) and Last Known Good>then I go to Win RE in Vista. That gives you a
choice of Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking,and Safe Mode with Command
Prompt.

These methods are outlined in

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP/and Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/

How to Use System Restore

http://bertk.mvps.org/

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore from MSFT:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../faqsrwxp.mspx

Using System Restore

http://tinyurl.com/dvekb

System Restore for Windows XP

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP

Repair Install: (This option has the best chance of succeeding and it
preserves everything in your OS--you do not lose anything with this option):

Make sure the DVD you have is a Vista DVD

Pitfalls: If the DVD came from friend or relative or P2P, you may have
problems. P2P besides being illlegal in many countries including the U.S.
can be corrupt. If CD came from friend or relative, they may have given
you the CD to use but if product key is in use, MSFT is not going to accept
it for activation. Make sure you clean the CD carefully using proper
cleaning fluid and strokes that radiate from center like spokes on a wheel.

Again a repair install has the most likely chance to succeed in XP, (and can
work in Vista) but you need
to have a Vista DVD.

First, in order to do a Repair Install You must boot to the bios setup and
position booting from the "CD" first in the boot order--it probably will not
say DVD but might.

Booting to Bios Setup:

For 85% of PC's and all Dells you can tap the F2 key to reach bios setup.

How To Enable DVD/CD Rom Support (put CD boot first) in bios setup boot
order:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how..._support_i.htm

Screen Shot of bios setup boot order:
http://www.poy.net/proxy/bios2.jpg

Repair Install Does Not Lose Anything; you may need to try 2-3 times but
that's rare.

How To Repair Install
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3153...22120121120120
Screen Shot Repair Install
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winx...exfullpage.htm

Good luck,

CH

"Jack Tripper" <JackTripper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsEBB9A39-DF58-4171-8028-7647B6B93E6B@microsoft.com...
> My problems have progressed from invalid/missing/corrupt icons:
> http://tinyurl.com/2whpf7
>
> to the Open and Save dialog boxes locking up any program that uses them,
> and
> Explorer doing the same. Very limiting, since most applications load or
> save
> files, or i sometimes want to see my computer.
>
> i've tried System Restore.
> i've tried sfc /scannow
>
> All that's left is to try to repair my computer.
>
> i've tried booting from the Windows Vista DVD, and selecting the "Repair
> My
> Computer" option. Unfortunatly, the only choices availabe are:
> Startup repair
> System Restore
> Windows Complete PC Restore
> Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
> Command Prompt
>
> None of these are for repairing a computer.
>
> i read that if i try to install Vista in-place as an upgrade: my copy of
> Vista will be dclared illegal.
>
> So the question is how do i repair my computer?
>
> Feature regression from Windows XP?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: How to repair Vista?
Jack

Your Vista installation will not be declared "illegal" if you perform an
upgrade install. You 'might' need to reactivate after the upgrade
installation, but this can be done automatically, over the internet or if
that fails use the telephone option to reactivate and this is just a 5
minute phone call. (The automatic reactivation will succeed if it has been
over 120 days since you last activated)

An upgrade install is the only way that you can "repair" an installation of
Vista. It does have the option to perform a Start Up Repair, but this is
meant for problems with starting the system.

The upgrade install should not affect your data, but it's always a good idea
to backup any critical data prior to performing the upgrade install.

Let us know how this works for you.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Jack Tripper" <JackTripper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsEBB9A39-DF58-4171-8028-7647B6B93E6B@microsoft.com...
> My problems have progressed from invalid/missing/corrupt icons:
> http://tinyurl.com/2whpf7
>
> to the Open and Save dialog boxes locking up any program that uses them,
> and
> Explorer doing the same. Very limiting, since most applications load or
> save
> files, or i sometimes want to see my computer.
>
> i've tried System Restore.
> i've tried sfc /scannow
>
> All that's left is to try to repair my computer.
>
> i've tried booting from the Windows Vista DVD, and selecting the "Repair
> My
> Computer" option. Unfortunatly, the only choices availabe are:
> Startup repair
> System Restore
> Windows Complete PC Restore
> Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
> Command Prompt
>
> None of these are for repairing a computer.
>
> i read that if i try to install Vista in-place as an upgrade: my copy of
> Vista will be dclared illegal.
>
> So the question is how do i repair my computer?
>
> Feature regression from Windows XP?

John Barnett MVP

Re: How to repair Vista?
Doing an in place repair, i.e., re-installing Vista over itself, won't make
your copy illegal. I have done an in place repair and the only thing I had
to do was re-activate my copy of Vista. See this link from my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_..._vista_dvd.htm

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Jack Tripper" <JackTripper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsEBB9A39-DF58-4171-8028-7647B6B93E6B@microsoft.com...
> My problems have progressed from invalid/missing/corrupt icons:
> http://tinyurl.com/2whpf7
>
> to the Open and Save dialog boxes locking up any program that uses them,
> and
> Explorer doing the same. Very limiting, since most applications load or
> save
> files, or i sometimes want to see my computer.
>
> i've tried System Restore.
> i've tried sfc /scannow
>
> All that's left is to try to repair my computer.
>
> i've tried booting from the Windows Vista DVD, and selecting the "Repair
> My
> Computer" option. Unfortunatly, the only choices availabe are:
> Startup repair
> System Restore
> Windows Complete PC Restore
> Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
> Command Prompt
>
> None of these are for repairing a computer.
>
> i read that if i try to install Vista in-place as an upgrade: my copy of
> Vista will be dclared illegal.
>
> So the question is how do i repair my computer?
>
> Feature regression from Windows XP?

Jack Tripper

Re: How to repair Vista?
> Doing an in place repair, i.e., re-installing Vista over itself, won't make
> your copy illegal.

But it was you who said it would become tagged as illegal! :P

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...a73&sloc=en-us
brink

Re: How to repair Vista?

Jack Tripper;327190 Wrote:
> My problems have progressed from invalid/missing/corrupt icons:
> 'Windows Vista Community: Discussion Groups'
> (http://tinyurl.com/2whpf7)
>
> to the Open and Save dialog boxes locking up any program that uses
> them, and
> Explorer doing the same. Very limiting, since most applications load or
> save
> files, or i sometimes want to see my computer.
>
> i've tried System Restore.
> i've tried sfc /scannow
>
> All that's left is to try to repair my computer.
>
> i've tried booting from the Windows Vista DVD, and selecting the
> "Repair My
> Computer" option. Unfortunatly, the only choices availabe are:
> Startup repair
> System Restore
> Windows Complete PC Restore
> Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
> Command Prompt
>
> None of these are for repairing a computer.
>
> i read that if i try to install Vista in-place as an upgrade: my copy
> of
> Vista will be dclared illegal.
>
> So the question is how do i repair my computer?
>
> Feature regression from Windows XP?

Hi Jack,

Here's a easy way to do a Vista repair. Go to this link for full
details and do this option : *sfc /SCANNOW*

'_http://www.vistax64.com/tricks-n-tips/66978-system-files.html_'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tricks-n-tip...tem-files.html)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

"Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others
Jack Tripper

Re: How to repair Vista?
> Hi Jack,
>
> Here's a easy way to do a Vista repair. Go to this link for full
> details and do this option : *sfc /SCANNOW*
>
> '_http://www.vistax64.com/tricks-n-tips/66978-system-files.html_'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/tricks-n-tip...tem-files.html)

System File Checker is not a repair. It only ensures core operating system
files have not been damaged or modified.

Your installation configuration can still be completely invalid.
Jack Tripper

Re: How to repair Vista?
> > i read that if i try to install Vista in-place as an upgrade: my copy of
> > Vista will be dclared illegal.

> Where did you read that? Several reputable people have posted having
> success with doing an in place upgrade to resolve problems. It doesn't make
> your system illegal AFAIK.

John Barnett MVP mentioned it in a few posts.
Jack Tripper

Re: How to repair Vista?
> Make sure you run Defender

Defender is running

> or if you have One Care run its spyware scanner and its AV.

OneCare is still beta on Vista (and cannot install with UAC/ie protected
mode/ActiveX disabled).

> If no help from SFC,

sfc found nothing wrong, as it's not a corrupt files issue.

> you can try a restore point to before this happened or

No restore point went that far back

> Startup Repair will look like this when you put in the Vista DVD:

Vista starts fine, and doesn't need startup repairing

> I'm going to give you a bunch of links and most of them you won't have to
> use, but they are alternative ways to fix Vista.

i noticed this same text in other posts by someone, perhaps you.