Easy Transfer is not EASY

Monica

Easy Transfer is not EASY
Okay, I got a new laptop and I tried this "Easy" transfer thing to get
everything moved from my desktop to the laptop. I used a memory stick to
transfer the files and after many hours I got a message saying it could not
complete and just stopped the whole process (Sorry, I don't remember the
exact message, this was over 3 weeks ago and I gave up.) Anwyay...my problem
is that the HP_Recovery D: drive is now FULL on my new laptop! Don't know
why, don't know how, I just want it fixed. I now have an external hard drive
to transfer the files and I just want my laptop to be back the way it was
before I started this Easy Transfer. Is there anything easy I can do??
Thanks in advance.
AJR

Re: Easy Transfer is not EASY
Monica - I was about to pass up your post - I beleive it was posted before.
However I'll try toexplain a few things:

1. The Recovery partition (D) is a "fixed" partition - it cannot be written
to or accessed as a means of protecting it. This partition is usually
accessed in one of two ways - you see a message at boot to hit an "F" key,
usually F10 or F11, for reztoration.
In adddition a Recovery CD/DVD may be provided. HP often does not provide
the disk but includes an utility to create the disk and offers the option of
removing the Recovery partition to free up the space.
The utility should be used to delete the partition because it also removes
the MBR (master boot record) modification that presents the F key message.

2. The Recovery partition is designated "Full" because it's size corresponds
to restoration requirements.

3. You cannot save data to the partition . You cannot use and/or access the
partition as, say, "C".

4. Your laptop does not need fixing - your recovery partition (D) is
exactly as it is supposssed to be.

5. Always save Ffile/data to a removable media (CD/DVD) or external HD - if
stored on the same HD as the OS if boot fails you will not have access to
the data - stored "externally" you will.

e'nuff said!

"Monica" <Monica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay, I got a new laptop and I tried this "Easy" transfer thing to get
> everything moved from my desktop to the laptop. I used a memory stick to
> transfer the files and after many hours I got a message saying it could
> not
> complete and just stopped the whole process (Sorry, I don't remember the
> exact message, this was over 3 weeks ago and I gave up.) Anwyay...my
> problem
> is that the HP_Recovery D: drive is now FULL on my new laptop! Don't know
> why, don't know how, I just want it fixed. I now have an external hard
> drive
> to transfer the files and I just want my laptop to be back the way it was
> before I started this Easy Transfer. Is there anything easy I can do??
> Thanks in advance.

AJR

Re: Easy Transfer is not EASY
Monica - One other thing - there should be a folder. labeled HP I believe,
on the laptop which has a PDF file titled something like HP Laptop. It
provides the sasme information and more - so "RTFM"
(Read the Friendly Manual).

"Monica" <Monica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay, I got a new laptop and I tried this "Easy" transfer thing to get
> everything moved from my desktop to the laptop. I used a memory stick to
> transfer the files and after many hours I got a message saying it could
> not
> complete and just stopped the whole process (Sorry, I don't remember the
> exact message, this was over 3 weeks ago and I gave up.) Anwyay...my
> problem
> is that the HP_Recovery D: drive is now FULL on my new laptop! Don't know
> why, don't know how, I just want it fixed. I now have an external hard
> drive
> to transfer the files and I just want my laptop to be back the way it was
> before I started this Easy Transfer. Is there anything easy I can do??
> Thanks in advance.

JOHN HARRIS

Re: Easy Transfer is not EASY
Do you feel, AJR, that your answer and your condescending manner helps her
in anyway? Why not just answer the question politely?