Question about clean installing with upgrade media

lsproc

Question about clean installing with upgrade media
Its common knowledge now that you can do a clean install of Vista with
upgrade media. My question is, if you do have a previous copy of XP, is it
legal to do this method. Would you get thwarted by Activation or WGA?

I really do not want to go and have an unclean install of Vista from the
upgrade, though I guess I could get it as nice and clean as possible by
installing Vista and nothing else (not even drivers).

What would you reccomend?
Rock

Re: Question about clean installing with upgrade media
"lsproc" wrote
> Its common knowledge now that you can do a clean install of Vista with
> upgrade media. My question is, if you do have a previous copy of XP, is it
> legal to do this method. Would you get thwarted by Activation or WGA?

So far there doesnt' seem to be any problems doing this. Legal - that's a
diferent question including what does legal mean. In any event you are in
compliance with the license agreement provided you do own a qualifying OS.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

lsproc

Re: Question about clean installing with upgrade media
Ok. I just read on the KB that you can install XP, then do a clean install by
choosing Custom, I guess thats the way to go for me =)

Thanks!

"lsproc" <lsproc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Ok. I just read on the KB that you can install XP, then do a clean install
> by
> choosing Custom, I guess thats the way to go for me =)

Here is an article about it.

Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

lsproc

Re: Question about clean installing with upgrade media
Ok, thanks for your help.

"Rock" wrote:

> "lsproc" <lsproc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > Ok. I just read on the KB that you can install XP, then do a clean install
> > by
> > choosing Custom, I guess thats the way to go for me =)

> Here is an article about it.
> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Question about clean installing with upgrade media
"lsproc" wrote
> Ok, thanks for your help.

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "lsproc"wrote
>> > Ok. I just read on the KB that you can install XP, then do a clean
>> > install
>> > by
>> > choosing Custom, I guess thats the way to go for me =)

>> Here is an article about it.
>> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

You're welcome.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Question about clean installing with upgrade media
"lsproc" wrote
> Ok, thanks for your help.

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "lsproc"wrote
>> > Ok. I just read on the KB that you can install XP, then do a clean
>> > install
>> > by
>> > choosing Custom, I guess thats the way to go for me =)

>> Here is an article about it.
>> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

You're welcome.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Nick Le Lievre

"lsproc" <lsproc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Its common knowledge now that you can do a clean install of Vista with
> upgrade media. My question is, if you do have a previous copy of XP, is it
> legal to do this method. Would you get thwarted by Activation or WGA?
>
> I really do not want to go and have an unclean install of Vista from the
> upgrade, though I guess I could get it as nice and clean as possible by
> installing Vista and nothing else (not even drivers).
>
> What would you reccomend?

You can upgrade either an 2000/XP installation or a Vista 30 Day Trial to a
clean install of the full version of Vista ready to be activated. So what
you do is install Vista without entering a product key which installs the
trial... then go back to setup and install Vista again doing a clean install
which "upgrades" the trial when entering your product key. I don't think
Microsoft have a problem with people upgrading their Vista trials the
upgrade version of Vista costs more anyway.