Install on 2nd partition , dual boot with XP?

Atreyu

Install on 2nd partition , dual boot with XP?
How advisable/inadvisable is it to setup an extended partition on my
HDD and install Vista on that one. My current OS is XP Pro, and I want
to still be able to use it on a regular basis, while testing Vista in
the field occasionally. Therefore my best solution if it is known to
work well, is to setup Vista on a secondary partition and have a boot
choice when I power on.

Any known major problems?
I'd be looking to use either V Business, or Ultimate.

Yes, my system is 100% Vista certified.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks
Dale White

Re: Install on 2nd partition , dual boot with XP?
No real problems other than when you boot back and forth XP or Vista will
delete the other OS's restore points. So if you live off restore points,
that could be an issue.

Outside of that, I triple boot between XP, Vista32 and Vista64. No real
problems

"Atreyu" <me@somewhere.org> wrote in message
> How advisable/inadvisable is it to setup an extended partition on my
> HDD and install Vista on that one. My current OS is XP Pro, and I want
> to still be able to use it on a regular basis, while testing Vista in
> the field occasionally. Therefore my best solution if it is known to
> work well, is to setup Vista on a secondary partition and have a boot
> choice when I power on.
>
> Any known major problems?
> I'd be looking to use either V Business, or Ultimate.
>
> Yes, my system is 100% Vista certified.
>
> Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Cal Bear '66

Re: Install on 2nd partition , dual boot with XP?
XP will wipe out Vista's Restore Points
Vista will leave XP's Restore Points alone

On Mon, 28 May 2007 22:54:10 -0400, "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org>
wrote:

>XP will wipe out Vista's Restore Points
>Vista will leave XP's Restore Points alone

That is perfectly fine since Vista will only be present for testing &
experimenting. I'll make a partition image once I have it setup
properly so I could always restore to scratch if need be.

Thanks!

>"Dale White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
>> No real problems other than when you boot back and forth XP or Vista will
>> delete the other OS's restore points. So if you live off restore points, that
>> could be an issue.
>>
>> Outside of that, I triple boot between XP, Vista32 and Vista64. No real
>> problems
>>

>> "Atreyu" <me@somewhere.org> wrote in message
>>> How advisable/inadvisable is it to setup an extended partition on my
>>> HDD and install Vista on that one. My current OS is XP Pro, and I want
>>> to still be able to use it on a regular basis, while testing Vista in
>>> the field occasionally. Therefore my best solution if it is known to
>>> work well, is to setup Vista on a secondary partition and have a boot
>>> choice when I power on.
>>>
>>> Any known major problems?
>>> I'd be looking to use either V Business, or Ultimate.
>>>
>>> Yes, my system is 100% Vista certified.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

...winston

Re: Install on 2nd partition , dual boot with XP?
Search and read up on EasyBCD, VistaBootPro, and BootItNG. Many posts on these have been discussed in these forums or google for similar dual boot results.

The simplest is VistaBootPro but also contains the least options.
EasyBCD has more features and flexibility and user control.
BootItNg is the most powerful and flexible and a higher learning curve.
..winston

"Atreyu" <me@somewhere.org> wrote in message
: That is perfectly fine since Vista will only be present for testing &
: experimenting. I'll make a partition image once I have it setup
: properly so I could always restore to scratch if need be.

Dale White

Re: Install on 2nd partition , dual boot with XP?
My bad, I thought I read someone say it deletes them both ways.