Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

New Laptop All Accounts Locked

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2007
Twisties
 

Posts: n/a
New Laptop All Accounts Locked
Hi, an over middle aged (not elderly) friend of mine bought a Toshiba laptop
recently. Another friend of hers set it up for her and created all the
accounts, but she is unable to login as the password she thought she had
doesn't work. She has tried a number of times to log-in ... clicking
everywhere including the "Reset Password" link under her user name.

Late last night we tried using the System Repair option by using F8 and
booting into safe mode, but couldn't get any further as it asked for a
password for the Administrator account - which she knew nothing about. And
when we tried logging in with her account through this console we received
the message that her account was now locked.

There were no recovery disks for the laptop.

Is there a way to set it back to factory standard and either
* run set-up again and create new passwords for her account and the admin
account OR
* try to discover what the passwords are and re-set them that way
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2007
AJR
 

Posts: n/a
Re: New Laptop All Accounts Locked
Regarding "... clicking everywhere including the "Reset Password" link under
her user name..." will not be accessible since you must know the "old"
password before you can reset it. Also "...and created all the accounts,.."
what other accounts than a User account?

Toshiba provides a "Recovery and Application/Drivers" DVD check all the
packing material and packages. Check the printed documentation for
instructions on contacting Toshiba to obtain the DVD if not located.
Support may be available at 1-800-457-7777.

When the laptop is accesssible - and a new password set be certain to create
a "Password Reset Disk" which will permit access if the password is
forgotten..



"Twisties" <Twisties@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:028857CC-684D-4306-95CB-4442EEEB6CEC@microsoft.com...
> Hi, an over middle aged (not elderly) friend of mine bought a Toshiba
> laptop
> recently. Another friend of hers set it up for her and created all the
> accounts, but she is unable to login as the password she thought she had
> doesn't work. She has tried a number of times to log-in ... clicking
> everywhere including the "Reset Password" link under her user name.
>
> Late last night we tried using the System Repair option by using F8 and
> booting into safe mode, but couldn't get any further as it asked for a
> password for the Administrator account - which she knew nothing about. And
> when we tried logging in with her account through this console we received
> the message that her account was now locked.
>
> There were no recovery disks for the laptop.
>
> Is there a way to set it back to factory standard and either
> * run set-up again and create new passwords for her account and the admin
> account OR
> * try to discover what the passwords are and re-set them that way



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2007
Twisties
 

Posts: n/a
Re: New Laptop All Accounts Locked
Thnx for the response AJR, for the "Reset password" nothing seemed to happen
when it was clicked ... it just made the word "password" appear in the
password field. The accounts that were created were the standard
Administrator and User and there is also a Guest account.

There are no disks provided with this particular laptop, I checked the box
and documentation myself. According to the instructions on a sticker on the
cardboard box the laptop came in, a recovery disk had to be manually created
after the initial set-up to repair or restore the computer as the recovery
files (a ghost of Vista) was installed on a hidden partition on the hard
drive. This apparently was not done ...

So atm she is stuck with a 2 week old lap-top that is locked at the login
screen, no recovery disks, no passwords ... no nothing. And the shop where
she purchased it has said "tough luck ... buy a new hard-drive and OS and pay
us to put it in and set it up for you."

Needless to say she is not impressed with them, the laptop or Microsoft atm.

~ Trisha

"AJR" wrote:

> Regarding "... clicking everywhere including the "Reset Password" link under
> her user name..." will not be accessible since you must know the "old"
> password before you can reset it. Also "...and created all the accounts,.."
> what other accounts than a User account?
>
> Toshiba provides a "Recovery and Application/Drivers" DVD check all the
> packing material and packages. Check the printed documentation for
> instructions on contacting Toshiba to obtain the DVD if not located.
> Support may be available at 1-800-457-7777.
>
> When the laptop is accesssible - and a new password set be certain to create
> a "Password Reset Disk" which will permit access if the password is
> forgotten..
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2007
pvdg42
 

Posts: n/a
Re: New Laptop All Accounts Locked

"Twisties" <Twisties@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:028857CC-684D-4306-95CB-4442EEEB6CEC@microsoft.com...
> Hi, an over middle aged (not elderly) friend of mine bought a Toshiba
> laptop
> recently. Another friend of hers set it up for her and created all the
> accounts, but she is unable to login as the password she thought she had
> doesn't work. She has tried a number of times to log-in ... clicking
> everywhere including the "Reset Password" link under her user name.
>
> Late last night we tried using the System Repair option by using F8 and
> booting into safe mode, but couldn't get any further as it asked for a
> password for the Administrator account - which she knew nothing about. And
> when we tried logging in with her account through this console we received
> the message that her account was now locked.
>
> There were no recovery disks for the laptop.
>
> Is there a way to set it back to factory standard and either
> * run set-up again and create new passwords for her account and the admin
> account OR
> * try to discover what the passwords are and re-set them that way


Have either of you tried contacting Toshiba support to see what assistance
they can provide, especially as the laptop is ~ 2 weeks old.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...su_sc_home.jsp

Another possibility (and, I admit this is not 100% honest), if the laptop
was purchased at a local retailer, take it back and simply say you have no
idea what happened. Ask them to "fix" it.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-08-2009
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA - Wyoming
Posts: 10
sinseer1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: New Laptop All Accounts Locked
Quote:
Another possibility (and, I admit this is not 100% honest), if the laptop
was purchased at a local retailer, take it back and simply say you have no
idea what happened. Ask them to "fix" it.
did she ever get her password reset?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intel Laptop Competes With One Laptop Per Child Steve General Technology News 0 05-21-2007 21:56
Intel laptop Competes With One Laptop Per Child Steve General Technology News 0 05-21-2007 20:45
vista business laptop keeps getting locked out on NT4 domain Jim Sharky microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 1 04-09-2007 03:54
Copying files from old laptop HDD to new Vista laptop... Almeida-meister microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 03-17-2007 18:53
Re: OE6 from XP Pro on old laptop to Vista on new laptop? Paul H microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 1 02-21-2007 09:43




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:14.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120