urgent help needed

AC!D

urgent help needed
in my ignorance i had installed linux onto my vista laptop last night,
looking back on it now, i really want vista back, I've got the product key on
the sticker on my laptop but, my computer didn't come with a boot disk, how
do i get vista back on it without having to spend a hundred dollars on vista
again?
XS11E

Re: urgent help needed
AC!D <AC!D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> in my ignorance i had installed linux onto my vista laptop last
> night, looking back on it now, i really want vista back, I've got
> the product key on the sticker on my laptop but, my computer
> didn't come with a boot disk, how do i get vista back on it
> without having to spend a hundred dollars on vista again?

Check the CDs/DVDs that came with the laptop and see if there's a
restore disk there, if not, call the manufacturer and ask how to
restore the laptop.

I don't know what brand of laptop you have but many come with a utility
to burn a set of restore CDs that will put the laptop back exactly as
it came from the factory, if you passed up the chance to do that you
may very well be out of luck but call the manufacturer and see.

Jim

Re: urgent help needed

"XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> AC!D <AC!D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> in my ignorance i had installed linux onto my vista laptop last
>> night, looking back on it now, i really want vista back, I've got
>> the product key on the sticker on my laptop but, my computer
>> didn't come with a boot disk, how do i get vista back on it
>> without having to spend a hundred dollars on vista again?

> Check the CDs/DVDs that came with the laptop and see if there's a
> restore disk there, if not, call the manufacturer and ask how to
> restore the laptop.
>
> I don't know what brand of laptop you have but many come with a utility
> to burn a set of restore CDs that will put the laptop back exactly as
> it came from the factory, if you passed up the chance to do that you
> may very well be out of luck but call the manufacturer and see.

> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Or, if he doesn't have a restore disk around, he could throw caution to the
winds and consult the fine manual.

Most laptops have a restore partition which will bring the computer back to
the as delivered state. Now, if during the linux install, he told the
installer to delete all partitions, he shot himself in the foot.

Computers are like that. Not only will they allow you to shoot yourself in
the foot, they will hold the gun so that you can't miss.

Jim

Don

Re: urgent help needed
AC!D wrote:
> in my ignorance i had installed linux onto my vista laptop last night,
> looking back on it now, i really want vista back, I've got the product key on
> the sticker on my laptop but, my computer didn't come with a boot disk, how
> do i get vista back on it without having to spend a hundred dollars on vista
> again?

Take a look here and see if the CD option would be helpful -- another
poster in these groups mentioned that the price is nominal:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx

tawney

RE: urgent help needed

i kind of have the same problem, and i'm praying that someone can help
me.... it's kind of opposite though. my friend got vista on her laptop, and i
wanted to try it, so without thinking, i installed it on my computer... and i
didn't have a product key, so the copy isn't genuine, so i can only use my
laptop with reduced functionality... and that is horrible. i have my windows
xp disc, but i can't install it because i can't uninstal vista... can anyone
tell me what to do??
-tawney
"AC!D" wrote:

> in my ignorance i had installed linux onto my vista laptop last night,
> looking back on it now, i really want vista back, I've got the product key on
> the sticker on my laptop but, my computer didn't come with a boot disk, how
> do i get vista back on it without having to spend a hundred dollars on vista
> again?

Malke

Re: urgent help needed
tawney wrote:
> i kind of have the same problem, and i'm praying that someone can help
> me.... it's kind of opposite though. my friend got vista on her laptop, and i
> wanted to try it, so without thinking, i installed it on my computer... and i
> didn't have a product key, so the copy isn't genuine, so i can only use my
> laptop with reduced functionality... and that is horrible. i have my windows
> xp disc, but i can't install it because i can't uninstal vista... can anyone
> tell me what to do??
> -tawney
> "AC!D" wrote:
>
>> in my ignorance i had installed linux onto my vista laptop last night,
>> looking back on it now, i really want vista back, I've got the product key on
>> the sticker on my laptop but, my computer didn't come with a boot disk, how
>> do i get vista back on it without having to spend a hundred dollars on vista
>> again?

Next time please make a new post instead of interjecting your question
in the middle of someone else's thread. If you upgraded your computer
with Vista, see:

Restore a computer to a previous Windows installation after you install
Windows Vista - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168/en-us

If you simply did a clean install with Vista, back up your data and do a
clean install of XP. Most laptops have a restore partition and also
allow you to create physical restore disks (once). If you deleted the
restore partition and neglected to create the restore disks, contact the
laptop mftr. for replacement restore disks. This will be the least
expensive and best way for you to go because the laptop mftr.'s disks
will also include preinstalled software, drivers, specialized laptop
software, etc.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
...winston

Re: urgent help needed
That link appears to be for retail purchases of DVD versions providing a method to obtain on Cd. Imo, it does not apply to OEM machines that have the 25 digit product key on the machine.

"You can order either of these alternate media for a minimal fee, including shipping and handling. To order, you'll need to supply the 25-character product key that came with your purchase.* You'll find the product key on a yellow sticker on the back of your DVD media holder. "

...w

:
: Take a look here and see if the CD option would be helpful -- another
: poster in these groups mentioned that the price is nominal:
:
: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx
:
joseph2k

Re: urgent help needed
Jim wrote:

> "XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> AC!D <AC!D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> in my ignorance i had installed linux onto my vista laptop last
>>> night, looking back on it now, i really want vista back, I've got
>>> the product key on the sticker on my laptop but, my computer
>>> didn't come with a boot disk, how do i get vista back on it
>>> without having to spend a hundred dollars on vista again?

>> Check the CDs/DVDs that came with the laptop and see if there's a
>> restore disk there, if not, call the manufacturer and ask how to
>> restore the laptop.
>>
>> I don't know what brand of laptop you have but many come with a utility
>> to burn a set of restore CDs that will put the laptop back exactly as
>> it came from the factory, if you passed up the chance to do that you
>> may very well be out of luck but call the manufacturer and see.
>>

>> --
>> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
>> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

> Or, if he doesn't have a restore disk around, he could throw caution to
> the winds and consult the fine manual.
>
> Most laptops have a restore partition which will bring the computer back
> the as delivered state. Now, if during the linux install, he told the
> installer to delete all partitions, he shot himself in the foot.
>
> Computers are like that. Not only will they allow you to shoot yourself
> in the foot, they will hold the gun so that you can't miss.
>
> Jim

I so rarely see it stated so clearly.
--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.┬*┬*