Upgrade Advice.

Neil

Upgrade Advice.
Can anyone give me some advice on upgrading from an XP machine to Vista.

The machine is completely capable hardware wise (2gb RAM, Big HD, Dual Core
processor, Nvidia 7600 GT graphics card) but when I tried to do the upgrade
all that happened on the first boot up after all the file transfer /
installation process were complete was a very fleeting glimpse of a BSOD and
instant re-boot.

I can't even get the machine to boot into safe mode to do any sort of
diagnostics.

I'm guessing that there is something a bit low level that is conflicting, I
need to update the graphics card drivers, printer drivers, and USB ADSL modem
drivers, and according to Vista Upgrade advisor there may be problems with
Intellipoint software under Vista. The only other things that could be
conflicting are the Anti-virus (AVG) and firewall software (ZoneAlarm).

So my questions - Should I upgrade the drivers before or after I upgrade to
Vista, the documentation from the manufacturers doesn't give a positive
answer either way.
Also, should I disable (or even remove) the security software, and
re-install it once Vista is loaded.

Any help anyone has (are there any good websites with upgrade advice) would
be appreciated.

Fortunately I have been able to roll the update so all is not lost, yet!

Thanks

Neil
JimR

Re: Upgrade Advice.
"Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone give me some advice on upgrading from an XP machine to Vista.
>
> The machine is completely capable hardware wise (2gb RAM, Big HD, Dual
> Core
> processor, Nvidia 7600 GT graphics card) but when I tried to do the
> upgrade
> all that happened on the first boot up after all the file transfer /
> installation process were complete was a very fleeting glimpse of a BSOD
> and
> instant re-boot.
>
> I can't even get the machine to boot into safe mode to do any sort of
> diagnostics.
>
> I'm guessing that there is something a bit low level that is conflicting,
> need to update the graphics card drivers, printer drivers, and USB ADSL
> modem
> drivers, and according to Vista Upgrade advisor there may be problems with
> Intellipoint software under Vista. The only other things that could be
> conflicting are the Anti-virus (AVG) and firewall software (ZoneAlarm).
>
> So my questions - Should I upgrade the drivers before or after I upgrade
> Vista, the documentation from the manufacturers doesn't give a positive
> answer either way.
> Also, should I disable (or even remove) the security software, and
> re-install it once Vista is loaded.
>
> Any help anyone has (are there any good websites with upgrade advice)
> would
> be appreciated.
>
> Fortunately I have been able to roll the update so all is not lost, yet!
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

Uninstalling AVG and especially Zone Alarm might be enough to get you
started.

--
Jim

joseph2k

Re: Upgrade Advice.
Neil wrote:

> Can anyone give me some advice on upgrading from an XP machine to Vista.
>
> The machine is completely capable hardware wise (2gb RAM, Big HD, Dual
> Core processor, Nvidia 7600 GT graphics card) but when I tried to do the
> upgrade all that happened on the first boot up after all the file transfer
> / installation process were complete was a very fleeting glimpse of a BSOD
> and instant re-boot.
>
> I can't even get the machine to boot into safe mode to do any sort of
> diagnostics.
>
> I'm guessing that there is something a bit low level that is conflicting,
> I need to update the graphics card drivers, printer drivers, and USB ADSL
> modem drivers, and according to Vista Upgrade advisor there may be
> problems with Intellipoint software under Vista. The only other things
> that could be conflicting are the Anti-virus (AVG) and firewall software
> (ZoneAlarm).
>
> So my questions - Should I upgrade the drivers before or after I upgrade
> to Vista, the documentation from the manufacturers doesn't give a positive
> answer either way.
> Also, should I disable (or even remove) the security software, and
> re-install it once Vista is loaded.
>
> Any help anyone has (are there any good websites with upgrade advice)
> would be appreciated.
>
> Fortunately I have been able to roll the update so all is not lost, yet!
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

My advice is simple. Don't do it. I have puttered around with it a bit and
Vista does not have much to offer but more eye candy. It is not stable
yet, wait for SP1 or longer. XP was trash before SP1, like most M$ os's
since W95 or NT 1.21. Besides almost all new machines are 64-bit capable
but 64-bit Vista and XP are driver hell.
--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.┬*┬*