installation hell vista

I brought windows vista home edition upgrade, to upgrade my windows media
center 2005

During installation the install program stated that I must have windows
vista premium edition to upgrade

Or do a new installation, I did not want to wipe out my hard drive so I
cancelled the installation and

Went online to get purchase windows vista premium edition which will upgrade
windows mce 2005

So I stuck my anytimeupgrade disk and restarted the installation from home
basic disk, entered the product key

And it would not take it I was on the phone with MS for 3 hours in tech
hell being passed from one dept to another

Only to find out that I had to get a refund for the online upgrade for home
premium and then take windows vista

Home basic back to Wal-Mart and get a refund for that as well ( I purchased
this from walmart a month ago I don’t know

If I can find a receipt..

To make matter worse the email I got from Microsoft about the home premium
upgrade, there is no phone number to contact

For a receipt. Just a website taking me to digital locker FAQ

This is crazy crazy crazy im wasting my time and frustrated All I want to do
is upgrade wmc 2005 to vista premium

Is there anyone you could recommend that I talk to higher up at Microsoft
that I can get a key do do this upgrade

Rick Rogers

Re: installation hell vista
Hi,

While I can see why you're frustrated and I don't mean to be rude, you
should have checked for the proper upgrade scenarios before making any
purchases. There is a ton of information available at Microsoft's site as
well as a myriad of others that go over the upgrade paths. There is no point
to talking to someone higher up as it's already been explained to you what
you need to do, like it or not. You need Home Premium (at least) to upgrade
without loss of data, plain and simple. Return the Home Basic disk to
Walmart (and it's no one's fault but your own if you lost the receipt), and
get your refund from digital locker (as anytime upgrade is used only to
upgrade an existing install of Vista).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/