Installation Vista error-ntldr is missing

pike

Installation Vista error-ntldr is missing
Need urgent help,

Got from faculty Windows Vista. While rebooting, for a clean installation i
get every time the message: Missing ntldr. press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to reboot.
Boot priority is set to DVD drive. But still same answer. After formating
partition same message is appearing again. Previous OS is Win XP. Coul it be
that, while copying DVD, a boot file is missing?
Please help....

Pike
Rick Rogers

Re: Installation Vista error-ntldr is missing
Hi,

Vista doesn't use ntldr. If it's being called for, that means the mbr was
not overwritten to point to Vista's bootloader and it's still looking for
XP's. Check the system BIOS for a protection setting that disallows writing
to the mbr (bootsector antivirus protection is a common term for it). This
needs to be disabled during setup or Vista will not be able to alter the mbr
correctly.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"pike" <pike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Need urgent help,
>
> Got from faculty Windows Vista. While rebooting, for a clean installation
> get every time the message: Missing ntldr. press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to
> reboot.
> Boot priority is set to DVD drive. But still same answer. After formating
> partition same message is appearing again. Previous OS is Win XP. Coul it
> be
> that, while copying DVD, a boot file is missing?
> Please help....
>
> Pike

pike

Re: Installation Vista error-ntldr is missing
Hi Rick,

hope that this will be the solution for my problem. will do that so when
come home.

Thank you

regards

Pike

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Vista doesn't use ntldr. If it's being called for, that means the mbr was
> not overwritten to point to Vista's bootloader and it's still looking for
> XP's. Check the system BIOS for a protection setting that disallows writing
> to the mbr (bootsector antivirus protection is a common term for it). This
> needs to be disabled during setup or Vista will not be able to alter the mbr
> correctly.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "pike" <pike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Need urgent help,
> >
> > Got from faculty Windows Vista. While rebooting, for a clean installation
> > get every time the message: Missing ntldr. press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to
> > reboot.
> > Boot priority is set to DVD drive. But still same answer. After formating
> > partition same message is appearing again. Previous OS is Win XP. Coul it
> > be
> > that, while copying DVD, a boot file is missing?
> > Please help....
> >
> > Pike

jorgen

Rick Rogers wrote:
> Vista doesn't use ntldr. If it's being called for, that means the mbr
> was not overwritten to point to Vista's bootloader and it's still
> looking for XP's.

It's not in the MBR, but in the partition's boot record.

If you have more than one harddrive, the BIOS might be booting off the
wrong one
John Barnes

Re: Installation Vista error-ntldr is missing
Agreed, or more than one partition on the drive and the wrong one is set
active.

"jorgen" <jorgen@na.invalid> wrote in message
> Rick Rogers wrote:
>> Vista doesn't use ntldr. If it's being called for, that means the mbr was
>> not overwritten to point to Vista's bootloader and it's still looking for
>> XP's.

> It's not in the MBR, but in the partition's boot record.
>
> If you have more than one harddrive, the BIOS might be booting off the
> wrong one

pike

Re: Installation Vista error-ntldr is missing
hi..

had no time these days to install Vista. Did it today. Solved the
problem.....was something wrong with DVD. Anyway, thanks for advise....

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Agreed, or more than one partition on the drive and the wrong one is set
> active.
>

> "jorgen" <jorgen@na.invalid> wrote in message
> > Rick Rogers wrote:
> >> Vista doesn't use ntldr. If it's being called for, that means the mbr was
> >> not overwritten to point to Vista's bootloader and it's still looking for
> >> XP's.

> > It's not in the MBR, but in the partition's boot record.
> >
> > If you have more than one harddrive, the BIOS might be booting off the
> > wrong one

jobbin

Re: Installation Vista error-ntldr is missing

A detailed description of the problem and suggested solution at
http://binaryday.com/2009/02/16/how-...rror-in-vista/

--
jobbin
jobbin's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/75748.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

R. C. White

Re: Installation Vista error-ntldr is missing
Hi, Jobbin.

Too bad TechArena did not make it clear when relaying your post from their
"forum" to this MS public newsgroup that this is NOT a Vista problem. As
most of us know, NTLDR is NOT a part of Vista at all, and that error will
never appear unless triggered by a poorly-migrated former WinXP installation
on the same computer.

No need to unnecessarily worry the 99.99+% of Vista users who will never see
such a message.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"jobbin" <jobbin.3s2arb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> A detailed description of the problem and suggested solution at
> http://binaryday.com/2009/02/16/how-...rror-in-vista/
>

> --
> jobbin
> jobbin's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/75748.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...all/755307.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

akumageorges

Re: Installation Vista error-ntldr is missing

Unlike what the last reply say,i'm currently experiency this issue on a
laptop that only ever had vista installed,i'm so desperate right now and
don't what to do,i even formatted my disc. It all started with the
common winload.ex and system missing issue(which forced me to
reformat),and not i'm stuck with nothing

--
akumageorges
akumageorges's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/145349.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...all/755307.htm