Can't Bootup from Vista Upgrade DVD for clean install

Walt

Can't Bootup from Vista Upgrade DVD for clean install
I'm trying to do a clean install for Vista Home Premium. I've changed my
bootup options in my BIOS to read from the CD/DVD drive 1st, and disabled the
hard drive and other boot options all together. I'm presented with "Hit a key
to boot from CD or DVD" message, and when I do, bootup continues from XP on
the hard drive. Before I format my C drive for a clean install, I want to
make sure I can boot from the DVD. Any suggestions I might try?

Thanks
Mr. Arnold

Re: Can't Bootup from Vista Upgrade DVD for clean install

"Walt" <Walt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to do a clean install for Vista Home Premium. I've changed my
> bootup options in my BIOS to read from the CD/DVD drive 1st, and disabled
> the
> hard drive and other boot options all together. I'm presented with "Hit a
> key
> to boot from CD or DVD" message, and when I do, bootup continues from XP
> on
> the hard drive. Before I format my C drive for a clean install, I want to
> make sure I can boot from the DVD. Any suggestions I might try?

Someone told me that I could boot from the Vista Ultimate CD/DVD. I had
tried it and it keep going the HD and booting from there. I finally got it
to boot off the CD/DVD after having the disc in the drawer before it reached
the *push any key*, which I needed to boot off the CD/DVD to do a Restore
Point.

XS11E

Re: Can't Bootup from Vista Upgrade DVD for clean install
Walt <Walt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to do a clean install for Vista Home Premium. I've
> changed my bootup options in my BIOS to read from the CD/DVD drive
> 1st, and disabled the hard drive and other boot options all
> together. I'm presented with "Hit a key to boot from CD or DVD"
> message, and when I do, bootup continues from XP on the hard
> drive. Before I format my C drive for a clean install, I want to
> make sure I can boot from the DVD. Any suggestions I might try?

One maybe, I've had BIOS problems preventing me from booting on my
Vista DVD. Have you updated your BIOS lately? Have you changed
anything in the BIOS lately? Were you able to boot on a CD or DVD
before?

Just some thoughts, hope they might help.

Walt

Re: Can't Bootup from Vista Upgrade DVD for clean install
It's been awhile since I booted from a CD drive for any reason. Guess I can
check my BIOS as I can't recall the last time it was updated. MB was
installed 4 years ago, an ABITIC7-G. I may have updated the BIOS since then.
I get the "Hit any Key" message but still the same result. Will keep trying
and thanks ofr the feedback.

Walt

"XS11E" wrote:

> Walt <Walt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to do a clean install for Vista Home Premium. I've
> > changed my bootup options in my BIOS to read from the CD/DVD drive
> > 1st, and disabled the hard drive and other boot options all
> > together. I'm presented with "Hit a key to boot from CD or DVD"
> > message, and when I do, bootup continues from XP on the hard
> > drive. Before I format my C drive for a clean install, I want to
> > make sure I can boot from the DVD. Any suggestions I might try?

> One maybe, I've had BIOS problems preventing me from booting on my
> Vista DVD. Have you updated your BIOS lately? Have you changed
> anything in the BIOS lately? Were you able to boot on a CD or DVD
> before?
>
> Just some thoughts, hope they might help.

> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Dean-MN

Re: Can't Bootup from Vista Upgrade DVD for clean install
"Walt" <Walt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to do a clean install for Vista Home Premium. I've changed my
> bootup options in my BIOS to read from the CD/DVD drive 1st, and disabled
> the
> hard drive and other boot options all together. I'm presented with "Hit a
> key
> to boot from CD or DVD" message, and when I do, bootup continues from XP
> on
> the hard drive. Before I format my C drive for a clean install, I want to
> make sure I can boot from the DVD. Any suggestions I might try?
>
> Thanks

Hi,
I have a multimedia keyboard that does not become functional until the OS
starts to load drivers. When I need to press a key during boot, I need to
plug in a standard keyboard. If the lights on the keyboard do nor flash
during boot then the board is not functional.
Dean

Walt

Re: Can't Bootup from Vista Upgrade DVD for clean install
That was another thought I had, that my wireless keyboard might not function
immediately. But it does function fine when I go into BIOS, which is before
the CD Boot message so I think it is working OK. But to be sure, I'll try a
wired keyboard.

Thanks

"Dean-MN" wrote:

> "Walt" <Walt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to do a clean install for Vista Home Premium. I've changed my
> > bootup options in my BIOS to read from the CD/DVD drive 1st, and disabled
> > the
> > hard drive and other boot options all together. I'm presented with "Hit a
> > key
> > to boot from CD or DVD" message, and when I do, bootup continues from XP
> > on
> > the hard drive. Before I format my C drive for a clean install, I want to
> > make sure I can boot from the DVD. Any suggestions I might try?
> >
> > Thanks

> Hi,
> I have a multimedia keyboard that does not become functional until the OS
> starts to load drivers. When I need to press a key during boot, I need to
> plug in a standard keyboard. If the lights on the keyboard do nor flash
> during boot then the board is not functional.
> Dean

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Can't Bootup from Vista Upgrade DVD for clean install
Upgrade installation keys are blocked when you start from the Windows Vista DVD
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930985/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----

"Walt" wrote:

I'm trying to do a clean install for Vista Home Premium. I've changed my
bootup options in my BIOS to read from the CD/DVD drive 1st, and disabled the
hard drive and other boot options all together. I'm presented with "Hit a key
to boot from CD or DVD" message, and when I do, bootup continues from XP on
the hard drive. Before I format my C drive for a clean install, I want to
make sure I can boot from the DVD. Any suggestions I might try?

Thanks

Walt

Re: Can't Bootup from Vista Upgrade DVD for clean install
Interesting. I'm not even getting far enough to enter the key because because
with all my tries and plugging in a usb keyboard I'm not able to get a key to
respond when I boot the DVD. Not even if I start with a bootable floppy. Yet
the keyboard works to get into the BIOS. There is a way to do a clean install
when booting from the DVD. I found the link in an earlier post. Guess I have
to install from within XP and do a Custom install. Does a Custom wipe out XP
and truly install clean?
Thanks

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Upgrade installation keys are blocked when you start from the Windows Vista DVD

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----
>
> "Walt" wrote:
>
> I'm trying to do a clean install for Vista Home Premium. I've changed my
> bootup options in my BIOS to read from the CD/DVD drive 1st, and disabled the
> hard drive and other boot options all together. I'm presented with "Hit a key
> to boot from CD or DVD" message, and when I do, bootup continues from XP on
> the hard drive. Before I format my C drive for a clean install, I want to
> make sure I can boot from the DVD. Any suggestions I might try?
>
> Thanks

XS11E

Re: Can't Bootup from Vista Upgrade DVD for clean install
Walt <Walt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> It's been awhile since I booted from a CD drive for any reason.
> Guess I can check my BIOS as I can't recall the last time it was
> updated. MB was installed 4 years ago, an ABITIC7-G. I may have
> updated the BIOS since then. I get the "Hit any Key" message but
> still the same result. Will keep trying and thanks ofr the
> feedback.

Don't know if it will help or not, I updated my BIOS and found I could
boot on my Windows XP CD but could NOT boot on my Vista DVD nor (off
topic, sorry) could I boot on any Linux CD. The fix was to flash my
BIOS back to the original before any updates. Fortunately, my ASUS
mother board CD included the original BIOS so it was easy to flash it
back like it was when I bought the MB.

Before you ask, I have absolutely NO idea why the updated BIOS would
boot on an XP CD and not on a Vista (or Linux) CD/DVD.

One other thing to try is to go into the BIOS and see what happens if
you set it to the "fail safe defaults" or whatever similar setting your
BIOS has.

XS11E

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

> Upgrade installation keys are blocked when you start from the
> Windows Vista DVD http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930985/en-us

Don't think that will help him, Carey, he said during boot he gets the
message "To boot from CD, press any key", he presses a key and the PC
boots into Windows XP as if the CD wasn't there. I'm wondering if his
wireless keyboard is recognized when he presses a key?