2 operating Systems

Turki Ben Sumih

2 operating Systems
Dears,
I purchased Windwos vista home premium with only one partition which is 100
GB labeled C and i did the following to run 2 operating systems:
1. shrinked the C volume to 50 GB
2. Installed windows Server 2003 SE on the new partition which is labeled G
when i restart the PC which is Dell it takes me directly the Windows server
2003 without prompting me to choose one of the 2 operating systems ? I need
it to prompt me to chhose ? what i should do ? Thanks
--
PMO Spe******t
Rick Rogers

Re: 2 operating Systems
Hi,

You overwrote the mbr when you installed Server, so now it points to that
OS's bootloader. You can run a repair of Vista from it's DVD to regain
access to it, or you can use Vista Boot Pro: http://www.vistabootpro.org/

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Turki Ben Sumih" <TurkiBenSumih@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dears,
> I purchased Windwos vista home premium with only one partition which is
> 100
> GB labeled C and i did the following to run 2 operating systems:
> 1. shrinked the C volume to 50 GB
> 2. Installed windows Server 2003 SE on the new partition which is labeled
> when i restart the PC which is Dell it takes me directly the Windows
> server
> 2003 without prompting me to choose one of the 2 operating systems ? I
> need
> it to prompt me to chhose ? what i should do ? Thanks
> --
> PMO Spe******t

Turki Ben Sumih

Re: 2 operating Systems
Thanks Rick,
but when i use these tools would i be able to use the 2 operating systems?
please help me؟
--
PMO Spe******t

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You overwrote the mbr when you installed Server, so now it points to that
> OS's bootloader. You can run a repair of Vista from it's DVD to regain
> access to it, or you can use Vista Boot Pro: http://www.vistabootpro.org/
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Turki Ben Sumih" <TurkiBenSumih@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dears,
> > I purchased Windwos vista home premium with only one partition which is
> > 100
> > GB labeled C and i did the following to run 2 operating systems:
> > 1. shrinked the C volume to 50 GB
> > 2. Installed windows Server 2003 SE on the new partition which is labeled
> > when i restart the PC which is Dell it takes me directly the Windows
> > server
> > 2003 without prompting me to choose one of the 2 operating systems ? I
> > need
> > it to prompt me to chhose ? what i should do ? Thanks
> > --
> > PMO Spe******t

Rick Rogers

Re: 2 operating Systems
Hi,

If you revert to the Vista bootloader, you can add an entry for server to it
using bcdedit. Most find VistaBootPro easier, and it will accomplish the
same thing.

--

> Thanks Rick,
> but when i use these tools would i be able to use the 2 operating systems?
> please help me؟
> --
> PMO Spe******t
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You overwrote the mbr when you installed Server, so now it points to that
>> OS's bootloader. You can run a repair of Vista from it's DVD to regain
>> access to it, or you can use Vista Boot Pro: http://www.vistabootpro.org/
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Turki Ben Sumih" <TurkiBenSumih@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Dears,
>> > I purchased Windwos vista home premium with only one partition which is
>> > 100
>> > GB labeled C and i did the following to run 2 operating systems:
>> > 1. shrinked the C volume to 50 GB
>> > 2. Installed windows Server 2003 SE on the new partition which is
>> > labeled
>> > when i restart the PC which is Dell it takes me directly the Windows
>> > server
>> > 2003 without prompting me to choose one of the 2 operating systems ? I
>> > need
>> > it to prompt me to chhose ? what i should do ? Thanks
>> > --
>> > PMO Spe******t

AJR

Re: 2 operating Systems
Number one rule - in setting up dual boot always install the older OS
(Server) first then Vista. To try Vista repair as Rick suggested:

Boot the Server OS - insert Vista DVD - shut down and restarrt the computer
to boot from the Vista DVD. If computer set to boot from CD/DVD drive a
message will pop up about booting from the drive - hit any key.

If it does not boot from the drive you must set boot order in the BIOS so
that tthe CD/DVD drive is the first in the boot order.

Vista will offeroptions to "Instal..." or "Repair..." - select repair and
follow the prompts - if repair not successful on one first attempt - try a
second time.