parallel printer hp710c set up on Vista?

MLM

parallel printer hp710c set up on Vista?
I have a parallel to usb converter cable hooking up a HP 710c to a usb port
on a new Vista puter. First question is how do I know which is lpt1 or lpt2.
Can't seem to get the printer working. The printer software shows up and
the test page from properties sends, so the driver should be ok.
I tried booting up with just the cable and windows came back with a ready to
go message so I believe the cable driver is there also.
I try to send a print and a "print error" shows up in the printer job
window. I've restarted many times and tried plugging in/turning on in
different combos but I still get no print.
I don't know where to go from here. There are no error or message windows
that pop up.
John Inzer

Re: parallel printer hp710c set up on Vista?
MLM wrote:
> I have a parallel to usb converter cable hooking up a HP 710c to a
> usb port on a new Vista puter. First question is how do I know which
> is lpt1 or lpt2. Can't seem to get the printer working. The printer
> software shows up and the test page from properties sends, so the
> driver should be ok.
> I tried booting up with just the cable and windows came back with a
> ready to go message so I believe the cable driver is there also.
> I try to send a print and a "print error" shows up in the printer job
> window. I've restarted many times and tried plugging in/turning on in
> different combos but I still get no print.
> I don't know where to go from here. There are no error or message
> windows that pop up.

====================================
I have a 712C which is basically the same printer...
I have it connected with a parallel cable. All I had
to do was connect it and Vista installed the drivers.

If you have a parallel cable it may be worth a try.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

BigJim

Re: parallel printer hp710c set up on Vista?
I have a 722c with a parallel connection and I had to set the bios to
bi-directional printing ecc or epp
may also work.
"MLM" <MLM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a parallel to usb converter cable hooking up a HP 710c to a usb port
> on a new Vista puter. First question is how do I know which is lpt1 or
> lpt2.
> Can't seem to get the printer working. The printer software shows up and
> the test page from properties sends, so the driver should be ok.
> I tried booting up with just the cable and windows came back with a ready
> go message so I believe the cable driver is there also.
> I try to send a print and a "print error" shows up in the printer job
> window. I've restarted many times and tried plugging in/turning on in
> different combos but I still get no print.
> I don't know where to go from here. There are no error or message windows
> that pop up.

huwyngr

In article <B4347AC0-6F19-4389-ABAB-AA27EAE59486@microsoft.com>, Mlm wrote:

> I have a parallel to usb converter cable hooking up a HP 710c to a usb port*
> on a new Vista puter.

I've seen so many people report problems with USB to parallel converters and
parallel printers .....

The usually reliable solution is to use a PCMCIA to Parallel adapter -- those
usually work but are more expensive than USB to Parallel.

The suggestion to turn off bidirectional if you can in the port is worth
trying.

huwyngr

Re: parallel printer hp710c set up on Vista?
In article <mbidnXa7tLP_38fbnZ2dnUVZ_vGinZ2d@comcast.com>, BigJim
wrote:

> I have a 722c with a parallel connection

Wonderful printer -- one of the best they ever made. I only got rid of
mine to get faster and better photograph printing (got the PS8250) but
I felt good when I could pass the 722 on to someone with no printer at
all.

MLM

Re: parallel printer hp710c set up on Vista?

Thanks John but if I had a parallel connector on the computer I would have
started there.