Some DOS screens before Boot OS selection

Alexey Titov

Some DOS screens before Boot OS selection
Hello

In brief, my problem is that i have a dual-boot pc (xp+vista) and when
of some loader appear for a very short amount of time:
1. Booting GRLDR ...
Resetting the boot drive ... success
Turning on gate A20 ... success
... some more text ...
2. ... some text ...
3. GRUB4DOS and a window (DOS graphics) with options to load Windows 2000,
XP and Vista.
4. ... some more text ...

They flicker fast and don't require any choices from me - but still, it
doen't look nice.
How do I hide them? And still have working XP and Vista, of course

I never used any other OS loader like Partition Commander or any ...
What I did: few month ago I installed Vista along with XP, and then removed
Vista.
I didn't like the boot selector that remained and used this command:
'e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force' to remove Vista from MBR (found over
Internet)
It had removed boot selector. Only XP left and load was fine. Recently I
installed Vista final version and got those screens.
Can any1 help please?

TIA

Chad Harris

Re: Some DOS screens before Boot OS selection
Hi Alexi--

"Grubfordos" without Linux--why is it in the mix?

From your post, you can still boot fine to either OS but you don't want the
annoyances of these screens flashing. I assume when you installed Vista
alongside XP, that Vista was added after XP as it should be.

You removed Vista the way MSFT recommends in this MSKB:

Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the
Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/en-us

I'm not sure of the source of these screens that flash by, and I assume they
are flashing by on the way to successfully booting to either OS since you
failed to mention you can't but confused me when you said

"Only XP left and load was fine. Recently I installed Vista final version
and got those screens." Does this really mean that you installed Vista and
got those screens but never were able to boot to Vista after installing it
again?

Try using Vista Boot Pro 3.2 www.vistabootpro.org (tutorial on the site)

Good luck,

CH

"Alexey Titov" <hcalx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> In brief, my problem is that i have a dual-boot pc (xp+vista) and when
> screens of some loader appear for a very short amount of time:
> 1. Booting GRLDR ...
> Resetting the boot drive ... success
> Turning on gate A20 ... success
> ... some more text ...
> 2. ... some text ...
> 3. GRUB4DOS and a window (DOS graphics) with options to load Windows 2000,
> XP and Vista.
> 4. ... some more text ...
>
> They flicker fast and don't require any choices from me - but still, it
> doen't look nice.
> How do I hide them? And still have working XP and Vista, of course
>
> I never used any other OS loader like Partition Commander or any ...
> What I did: few month ago I installed Vista along with XP, and then
> removed Vista.
> I didn't like the boot selector that remained and used this command:
> 'e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force' to remove Vista from MBR (found
> over Internet)
> It had removed boot selector. Only XP left and load was fine. Recently I
> installed Vista final version and got those screens.
> Can any1 help please?
>
> TIA

Mr. Arnold

Re: Some DOS screens before Boot OS selection
<snipped>

> Can any1 help please?

The old saying goes like this.

If it's not broke, then you don't fix it.

Trying to fix something that's not broke can lead to it being broke.

Alexey Titov

Re: Some DOS screens before Boot OS selection
Hello Chad

I mean it shows those screens before the Windows Boot Manager.
Both XP and Vista load fine, its just those screens don't look good
And what does it - rewrites MBR every time?

"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
> Hi Alexi--
>
> "Grubfordos" without Linux--why is it in the mix?
>
> From your post, you can still boot fine to either OS but you don't want
> the annoyances of these screens flashing. I assume when you installed
> Vista alongside XP, that Vista was added after XP as it should be.
>
> You removed Vista the way MSFT recommends in this MSKB:
>
> Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the
> Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

> I'm not sure of the source of these screens that flash by, and I assume
> they are flashing by on the way to successfully booting to either OS since
> you failed to mention you can't but confused me when you said
>
> "Only XP left and load was fine. Recently I installed Vista final version
> and got those screens." Does this really mean that you installed Vista
> and got those screens but never were able to boot to Vista after
> installing it again?
>
> Try using Vista Boot Pro 3.2 www.vistabootpro.org (tutorial on the site)
>
> Good luck,
>
> CH
>

> "Alexey Titov" <hcalx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello
>>
>> In brief, my problem is that i have a dual-boot pc (xp+vista) and when
>> screens of some loader appear for a very short amount of time:
>> 1. Booting GRLDR ...
>> Resetting the boot drive ... success
>> Turning on gate A20 ... success
>> ... some more text ...
>> 2. ... some text ...
>> 3. GRUB4DOS and a window (DOS graphics) with options to load Windows
>> 2000, XP and Vista.
>> 4. ... some more text ...
>>
>> They flicker fast and don't require any choices from me - but still, it
>> doen't look nice.
>> How do I hide them? And still have working XP and Vista, of course
>>
>> I never used any other OS loader like Partition Commander or any ...
>> What I did: few month ago I installed Vista along with XP, and then
>> removed Vista.
>> I didn't like the boot selector that remained and used this command:
>> 'e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force' to remove Vista from MBR (found
>> over Internet)
>> It had removed boot selector. Only XP left and load was fine. Recently I
>> installed Vista final version and got those screens.
>> Can any1 help please?
>>
>> TIA

Chad Harris

Re: Some DOS screens before Boot OS selection
I think you could get rid of those screens the way I said.

> Hello Chad
>
> I mean it shows those screens before the Windows Boot Manager.
> Both XP and Vista load fine, its just those screens don't look good
> And what does it - rewrites MBR every time?
>

> "Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
>> Hi Alexi--
>>
>> "Grubfordos" without Linux--why is it in the mix?
>>
>> From your post, you can still boot fine to either OS but you don't want
>> the annoyances of these screens flashing. I assume when you installed
>> Vista alongside XP, that Vista was added after XP as it should be.
>>
>> You removed Vista the way MSFT recommends in this MSKB:
>>
>> Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of
>> the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

>> I'm not sure of the source of these screens that flash by, and I assume
>> they are flashing by on the way to successfully booting to either OS
>> since you failed to mention you can't but confused me when you said
>>
>> "Only XP left and load was fine. Recently I installed Vista final
>> version and got those screens." Does this really mean that you installed
>> Vista and got those screens but never were able to boot to Vista after
>> installing it again?
>>
>> Try using Vista Boot Pro 3.2 www.vistabootpro.org (tutorial on the site)
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> CH
>>

>> "Alexey Titov" <hcalx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> In brief, my problem is that i have a dual-boot pc (xp+vista) and when
>>> screens of some loader appear for a very short amount of time:
>>> 1. Booting GRLDR ...
>>> Resetting the boot drive ... success
>>> Turning on gate A20 ... success
>>> ... some more text ...
>>> 2. ... some text ...
>>> 3. GRUB4DOS and a window (DOS graphics) with options to load Windows
>>> 2000, XP and Vista.
>>> 4. ... some more text ...
>>>
>>> They flicker fast and don't require any choices from me - but still, it
>>> doen't look nice.
>>> How do I hide them? And still have working XP and Vista, of course
>>>
>>> I never used any other OS loader like Partition Commander or any ...
>>> What I did: few month ago I installed Vista along with XP, and then
>>> removed Vista.
>>> I didn't like the boot selector that remained and used this command:
>>> 'e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force' to remove Vista from MBR (found
>>> over Internet)
>>> It had removed boot selector. Only XP left and load was fine. Recently I
>>> installed Vista final version and got those screens.
>>> Can any1 help please?
>>>
>>> TIA

momay

Re: Some DOS screens before Boot OS selection

just delete grldr in drive C:\ and it will be ok. but you have to enable
viewing protected operating system files in folder options to be able to
delete it.

--
momay