uninstalling vista

slopoke

uninstalling vista
I just bought a new laptop and and a new computer with vista on them. I hate
it can I get vista off them and install xp? they r dell computers
--
dlmarris
Malke

Re: uninstalling vista
slopoke wrote:
> I just bought a new laptop and and a new computer with vista on them. I hate
> it can I get vista off them and install xp? they r dell computers

Contact Dell to see if they support XP on that particular model laptop
and if so, how you can get XP instead. If they don't support XP on that
laptop, you may be able to return it for a model that does. Dell is
currently offering two consumer models of laptops and two models of
desktops that can be configured with XP.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Stephen

Re: uninstalling vista
On Sun, 27 May 2007 06:08:00 -0700, slopoke
<slopoke@discussions.microsoft.com> had a flock of green cheek conures
squawk out:

>I just bought a new laptop and and a new computer with vista on them. I hate
>it can I get vista off them and install xp? they r dell computers

You sure can. If XP isn't offered for them, then you'll have a very
difficult time in finding drivers, especially for the laptop.

Stephen
Chad Harris

Re: uninstalling vista
Hi slopoke/dlmarris--

And the Dell laptop model would be what if you want something specific? If
it supports Vista, it's likely you could pop in an XP CD and format and
install XP but if I were you I'd format, install XP and then dual boot
Vista. You haven't been specific about why you hate Vista, and I'd suggest
if you were specific about what you hate we could fix that for you.

CH

"slopoke" <slopoke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a new laptop and and a new computer with vista on them. I
>hate
> it can I get vista off them and install xp? they r dell computers
> --
> dlmarris

slopoke

Re: uninstalling vista
its an inspirion 1501. the old one was a 1000 and it was slow and my desktop
was about 5 yrs ols so we decided to replace both with more memory. I got a
new diminsion s520 with vista preminum and she got the 1501 with standard
vista. the are both slower than old computers, freeze up all time and so much
stuff not compatible. If I thought dell would have them back I would send
them back
--
dlmarris

"Chad Harris" wrote:

> Hi slopoke/dlmarris--
>
> And the Dell laptop model would be what if you want something specific? If
> it supports Vista, it's likely you could pop in an XP CD and format and
> install XP but if I were you I'd format, install XP and then dual boot
> Vista. You haven't been specific about why you hate Vista, and I'd suggest
> if you were specific about what you hate we could fix that for you.
>
> CH
>
> "slopoke" <slopoke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just bought a new laptop and and a new computer with vista on them. I
> >hate
> > it can I get vista off them and install xp? they r dell computers
> > --
> > dlmarris

Chad Harris

Re: uninstalling vista
dl

Did you mean E520 instead of S520

E520
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...pport_central?

I don't see the 1520.

> its an inspirion 1501. the old one was a 1000 and it was slow and my
> desktop
> was about 5 yrs ols so we decided to replace both with more memory. I got
> new diminsion s520 with vista preminum and she got the 1501 with standard
> vista. the are both slower than old computers, freeze up all time and so
> much
> stuff not compatible. If I thought dell would have them back I would send
> them back
> --
> dlmarris
>

> "Chad Harris" wrote:
>
>> Hi slopoke/dlmarris--
>>
>> And the Dell laptop model would be what if you want something specific?
>> If
>> it supports Vista, it's likely you could pop in an XP CD and format and
>> install XP but if I were you I'd format, install XP and then dual boot
>> Vista. You haven't been specific about why you hate Vista, and I'd
>> suggest
>> if you were specific about what you hate we could fix that for you.
>>
>> CH
>>
>> "slopoke" <slopoke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just bought a new laptop and and a new computer with vista on them. I
>> >hate
>> > it can I get vista off them and install xp? they r dell computers
>> > --
>> > dlmarris

slopoke

Re: uninstalling vista
yes thank you
--
dlmarris

"Chad Harris" wrote:

> dl
>
> Did you mean E520 instead of S520
>

> E520
> http://support.dell.com/support/topi...pport_central?
>
> I don't see the 1520.
>
> CH
>

> "slopoke" <slopoke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > its an inspirion 1501. the old one was a 1000 and it was slow and my
> > desktop
> > was about 5 yrs ols so we decided to replace both with more memory. I got
> > new diminsion s520 with vista preminum and she got the 1501 with standard
> > vista. the are both slower than old computers, freeze up all time and so
> > much
> > stuff not compatible. If I thought dell would have them back I would send
> > them back
> > --
> > dlmarris
> >

> > "Chad Harris" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi slopoke/dlmarris--
> >>
> >> And the Dell laptop model would be what if you want something specific?
> >> If
> >> it supports Vista, it's likely you could pop in an XP CD and format and
> >> install XP but if I were you I'd format, install XP and then dual boot
> >> Vista. You haven't been specific about why you hate Vista, and I'd
> >> suggest
> >> if you were specific about what you hate we could fix that for you.
> >>
> >> CH

slopoke

Re: uninstalling vista
You kinda lost me here. can I have xp and vista at the same time. if so tell
me how. and will I need to save everything ? thank you
--
dlmarris

"Chad Harris" wrote:

> Hi slopoke/dlmarris--
>
> And the Dell laptop model would be what if you want something specific? If
> it supports Vista, it's likely you could pop in an XP CD and format and
> install XP but if I were you I'd format, install XP and then dual boot
> Vista. You haven't been specific about why you hate Vista, and I'd suggest
> if you were specific about what you hate we could fix that for you.
>
> CH
>
> "slopoke" <slopoke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just bought a new laptop and and a new computer with vista on them. I
> >hate
> > it can I get vista off them and install xp? they r dell computers
> > --
> > dlmarris

slopoke

Re: uninstalling vista
just how do you do this. format installxp and dual boot? I thought you only
had to have one or the other. and will all these operating systems slow me
down more ?
--
dlmarris

"Chad Harris" wrote:

> Hi slopoke/dlmarris--
>
> And the Dell laptop model would be what if you want something specific? If
> it supports Vista, it's likely you could pop in an XP CD and format and
> install XP but if I were you I'd format, install XP and then dual boot
> Vista. You haven't been specific about why you hate Vista, and I'd suggest
> if you were specific about what you hate we could fix that for you.
>
> CH
>
> "slopoke" <slopoke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just bought a new laptop and and a new computer with vista on them. I
> >hate
> > it can I get vista off them and install xp? they r dell computers
> > --
> > dlmarris

John Barnett MVP

Re: uninstalling vista
Dual booting isn't going to slow your system down because you can only use
one operating system at a time, at boot up you either boot to XP or Vista.
You do, however, need two partitions, one for Vista and one for XP. You can
even install XP on a system that already has Vista installed. See this link
on my website.
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ning_vista.htm
An alternative is to use virtual machine software, although you do need to
have enough memory and this option may slow you down somewhat.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org