reinstall vista

Merritt

reinstall vista
I recently purchased a computer from dell with vista installed. i think i
deleted something i shouldnt have and am having problems with it. I need to
reinstall vista, but i did not get a cd or dvd with the system what do i do?

XS11E

Re: reinstall vista
Merritt <Merritt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I recently purchased a computer from dell with vista installed. i
> think i deleted something i shouldnt have and am having problems
> with it. I need to reinstall vista, but i did not get a cd or dvd
> with the system what do i do?

Call Dell, they're the people who can help. I don't know for sure
about Dell but HP and other PCs come with a utility that will create
restore CDs so they may ask if you made the restore CDs before doing
anything else with the computer, if you didn't, they may not be able to
help either.

don't look

Re: reinstall vista

"Merritt" <Merritt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently purchased a computer from dell with vista installed. i think i
> deleted something i shouldnt have and am having problems with it. I need

> reinstall vista, but i did not get a cd or dvd with the system what do i

do?

Your answer is probably with 20 posts down on this forum but, you probably
have a restore partition on your hard drive.

Rock

Re: reinstall vista
"Merritt" wrote
>I recently purchased a computer from dell with vista installed. i think i
> deleted something i shouldnt have and am having problems with it. I need
> reinstall vista, but i did not get a cd or dvd with the system what do i
> do?

The computer manufacturer has to provide you with some means to reinstall
the OS. This is either the installation DVD, or a recovery CD/DVD or a
partition on the hard drive with an image of the drive as received from the
factory. Some have a procedure whereby you are to created a recovery DVD or
CD the first time the system is turned on.

Check the documentation that came with the computer or contact the computer
tech support.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

joseph2k

Re: reinstall vista
Rock wrote:

> "Merritt" wrote
>>I recently purchased a computer from dell with vista installed. i think i
>> deleted something i shouldnt have and am having problems with it. I need
>> reinstall vista, but i did not get a cd or dvd with the system what do i
>> do?

> The computer manufacturer has to provide you with some means to reinstall
> the OS. This is either the installation DVD, or a recovery CD/DVD or a
> partition on the hard drive with an image of the drive as received from
> the
> factory. Some have a procedure whereby you are to created a recovery DVD
> or CD the first time the system is turned on.
>
> Check the documentation that came with the computer or contact the
> computer tech support.

Somehow i think that expecting the average user to do anything but just use
the computer is a fool's errand. Not packaging a reinitialize dvd with
vista borders on criminal misunderstanding of the market realities.
--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.┬*┬*
Rock

Re: reinstall vista
"joseph2k" <quiettechblue@yahoo.com> wrote
> Rock wrote:
>
>> "Merritt" wrote
>>>I recently purchased a computer from dell with vista installed. i think i
>>> deleted something i shouldnt have and am having problems with it. I need
>>> reinstall vista, but i did not get a cd or dvd with the system what do i
>>> do?

>> The computer manufacturer has to provide you with some means to reinstall
>> the OS. This is either the installation DVD, or a recovery CD/DVD or a
>> partition on the hard drive with an image of the drive as received from
>> the
>> factory. Some have a procedure whereby you are to created a recovery DVD
>> or CD the first time the system is turned on.
>>
>> Check the documentation that came with the computer or contact the
>> computer tech support.
>>

> Somehow i think that expecting the average user to do anything but just
> use
> the computer is a fool's errand. Not packaging a reinitialize dvd with
> vista borders on criminal misunderstanding of the market realities.

I agree that one should have an installation DVD, not a recovery disk or a
hidden partition. That's one reason why I use retail versions. This was
the same direction the large OEM's went in XP. Originally some vendors
provided a real installation CD, although quite often BIOS locked, still one
had could do a repair install with it, access the recovery console, etc. in
short do everything you could do with a retail installation CD. Then for
cost savings they moved more and more to the recovery CD and then the hidden
partition just to save a few pennies and to cut down on tech support costs.
I see it as the same in Vista.

Caveat emptor applies.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]