Releasing Vista Product key from

Arwen75

Releasing Vista Product key from
I have been running Vista on my laptop, but have recently rolled back to XP
on that so I can install Vista on my new desktop. Any ideas how to release
the product key from the laptop so I can use it on Vista. Unfortunately I
rolled the laptop back to XP (using receovery disks) before I started to
install Vista on desktop so have no way of recovering my original product key.
John Barnett MVP

Re: Releasing Vista Product key from
What type of vista install did you do Upgrade or clean install? The product
key should be on the DVD case. If you did an upgrade then you are going to
need a copy of XP from which to upgrade. If you have a full retail copy (not
an OEM which would be bound to your original laptop on not able to be
installed on another pc) then all you need do is install vista onto the new
pc. Activation will probably not be accepted online because the activation
data would register that the key is still in use, so you would need to
telephone the activation line to activate.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Arwen75" <Arwen75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been running Vista on my laptop, but have recently rolled back to XP
> on that so I can install Vista on my new desktop. Any ideas how to release
> the product key from the laptop so I can use it on Vista. Unfortunately I
> rolled the laptop back to XP (using receovery disks) before I started to
> install Vista on desktop so have no way of recovering my original product
> key.

Rock

Re: Releasing Vista Product key from
"Arwen75" wrote
>I have been running Vista on my laptop, but have recently rolled back to XP
> on that so I can install Vista on my new desktop. Any ideas how to release
> the product key from the laptop so I can use it on Vista. Unfortunately I
> rolled the laptop back to XP (using receovery disks) before I started to
> install Vista on desktop so have no way of recovering my original product
> key.

There is no releasing of the product key. If the copy of Vista you have is
retail, then just install it on the new computer and if activate, either by
internet or if needed by phone. If it is an OEM version it's tied by the
license to the first computer on which it's installed, and can't be
transferred to a different system.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Arthur Bucione

Re: Releasing Vista Product key from
I reinstalled my computer this weekend. You will have to call Microsoft to
re-activate your copy. No big deal, 5 minutes on the phone and you´re done.

"Arwen75" <Arwen75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been running Vista on my laptop, but have recently rolled back to XP
> on that so I can install Vista on my new desktop. Any ideas how to release
> the product key from the laptop so I can use it on Vista. Unfortunately I
> rolled the laptop back to XP (using receovery disks) before I started to
> install Vista on desktop so have no way of recovering my original product
> key.

Jean-Max

"Arwen75" wrote :
> If it is an OEM version it's tied by the license to the first computer on
> which it's installed, and can't be transferred to a different system.

Interesting problem, in case of frequently upgraded hardware components
(on he SAME initial PC)...

Questions :

-(1)- After an Motherboard crash, what can we do ? :

-> Can we reactivate Vista OEM by phone to Microsoft, and use a new
replacement PC ? (because the emergency case : it's a crash)

If no crash :

-(2)- What are exactly the specific hardware info, used by VISTA to know if
it's an new PC or only a modified one ?

If we want to upgrade SOME hardware components after some months:
With an OEM Vista version, what can we be able to change ?

- MB : I think NO (Unique Serial number)
- (MB bios version : I think YES because can be updated)
- CPU : YES or NO ?(different model)
- Graphic card : YES or NO ? (different model)
- RAM : YES or NO ? (more, less, different)
- Hard disk : YES or NO ? (more, less, different)
- DVD Writer YES or NO ? (different model , new one more..)
Last question:

-(3)- On Vista, is it the same calculation system as on XP ? :

Remember Microsoft XP page about activation (#)
Unique numeric identification code calculated for the PC, on XP :
This code is generated from numeric signatures of each of 10 main hardware
PC components:

Graphic card
SCSI card
IDE card
MAC address of the new card (or chip)
RAM quantity
CPU type
CPU Serial number
HD volume
HD Serial number
CD DVD .. ( yes or no)

The final unique numeric code, is 50 digits length
Each hardware parameter has not the same value :
etc..

-> On Vista , is-it the same system ?

Thanks for any idea, info and .. experiences :-)

Jean-Max

Best regards from France
(I apologise for my bad English language but school days are far away..)

(#) Microsoft Reference Page :
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...Bulletin.do c

Vigilante

Re: Releasing Vista Product key from
That system is in its alpha stages yet and leaves a bad taste in any ones mouth.
Initially all you get is requested to do a futile gesture of typing your key in numerous times for the same stupid error.
After that you directed to a $59 new license key link from every choice available.
Ultimately you have to call them and deal with someone telling you again to pay $10 for new license key.
All of this in a foreign accent you cant understand giving you a key in an unknown dialect verbally you have to translate to your keyboard.
I've seen better implementations from high school kids.

"Jean-Max" <nospam@free.fr> wrote in message news:epAHpuHoHHA.668@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
"Arwen75" wrote :
> If it is an OEM version it's tied by the license to the first computer on
> which it's installed, and can't be transferred to a different system.

Interesting problem, in case of frequently upgraded hardware components
(on he SAME initial PC)...

Questions :

-(1)- After an Motherboard crash, what can we do ? :

-> Can we reactivate Vista OEM by phone to Microsoft, and use a new
replacement PC ? (because the emergency case : it's a crash)

If no crash :

-(2)- What are exactly the specific hardware info, used by VISTA to know if
it's an new PC or only a modified one ?

If we want to upgrade SOME hardware components after some months:
With an OEM Vista version, what can we be able to change ?

- MB : I think NO (Unique Serial number)
- (MB bios version : I think YES because can be updated)
- CPU : YES or NO ?(different model)
- Graphic card : YES or NO ? (different model)
- RAM : YES or NO ? (more, less, different)
- Hard disk : YES or NO ? (more, less, different)
- DVD Writer YES or NO ? (different model , new one more..)
Last question:

-(3)- On Vista, is it the same calculation system as on XP ? :

Remember Microsoft XP page about activation (#)
Unique numeric identification code calculated for the PC, on XP :
This code is generated from numeric signatures of each of 10 main hardware
PC components:

Graphic card
SCSI card
IDE card
MAC address of the new card (or chip)
RAM quantity
CPU type
CPU Serial number
HD volume
HD Serial number
CD DVD .. ( yes or no)

The final unique numeric code, is 50 digits length
Each hardware parameter has not the same value :
etc..

-> On Vista , is-it the same system ?

Thanks for any idea, info and .. experiences :-)

Jean-Max

Best regards from France
(I apologise for my bad English language but school days are far away..)

(#) Microsoft Reference Page :
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...Bulletin.do c

Vigilante

Re: Releasing Vista Product key from
What # was the 5 minute call? It took me over half an hour?

"Arthur Bucione" <arthur_bucione@msn.com> wrote in message news:A88A4A32-FDD3-414F-82DF-0245ACD5E8B7@microsoft.com...
I reinstalled my computer this weekend. You will have to call Microsoft to
re-activate your copy. No big deal, 5 minutes on the phone and you´re done.

"Arwen75" <Arwen75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been running Vista on my laptop, but have recently rolled back to XP
> on that so I can install Vista on my new desktop. Any ideas how to release
> the product key from the laptop so I can use it on Vista. Unfortunately I
> rolled the laptop back to XP (using receovery disks) before I started to
> install Vista on desktop so have no way of recovering my original product
> key.

Rock

Re: Releasing Vista Product key from
"Vigilante" wrote
> What # was the 5 minute call? It took me over half an hour?

"Arthur Bucione" wrote
> I reinstalled my computer this weekend. You will have to call Microsoft to
> re-activate your copy. No big deal, 5 minutes on the phone and you´re
> done.

"Arwen75" wrote
>I have been running Vista on my laptop, but have recently rolled back to XP
> on that so I can install Vista on my new desktop. Any ideas how to release
> the product key from the laptop so I can use it on Vista. Unfortunately I
> rolled the laptop back to XP (using receovery disks) before I started to
> install Vista on desktop so have no way of recovering my original product
> key.

The phone number depends on where you're calling from. Last time I had to
phone in for activation on Vista it was 13 minutes from start to finish. It
took a bit longer because automated phone activation didn't work, and I was
transferred to a person. There weren't any delays along the way.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]