Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Turning off ZIP folders??

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2007
akita
 

Posts: n/a
Turning off ZIP folders??
Much like in XP, Vista will display zip files as folders. How can I prevent
Vista from displaying zip files as folders?

It really gets in the way when you have a folder with lots of zip files.
This was easy to disable in XP, but seems pretty much hidden in Vista. My
guess is it requires a trip into the registry, but I can't find a relative
key that seems to control this somewhat annoying functionality.

All help would be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2007
JCO
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Turning off ZIP folders??
You must un-register a DLL (ZipFldr.dll).

Easiest way is like this:

From Start>Run type: regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll



Turn Auto-Zipping off

1. From Start>Run type

2. regsvr32 /u ZipFldr.dll

3. Note: This will change the icon of all zipped items unless you
install a zipping utility (after you unregistered).

Therefore, if you plan to use WinZip, you will have to re-associate a "zip
type" file to WinZip.





"akita" <akita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4275CBD4-3777-455D-86F5-F4CCBF403355@microsoft.com...

> Much like in XP, Vista will display zip files as folders. How can I
> prevent
> Vista from displaying zip files as folders?
>
> It really gets in the way when you have a folder with lots of zip files.
> This was easy to disable in XP, but seems pretty much hidden in Vista. My
> guess is it requires a trip into the registry, but I can't find a relative
> key that seems to control this somewhat annoying functionality.
>
> All help would be much appreciated.
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2007
JCO
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Turning off ZIP folders??
After re-reading your issue, I'm not sure that works on Vista or not.
It does work on Windows XP.

"akita" <akita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4275CBD4-3777-455D-86F5-F4CCBF403355@microsoft.com...
> Much like in XP, Vista will display zip files as folders. How can I
> prevent
> Vista from displaying zip files as folders?
>
> It really gets in the way when you have a folder with lots of zip files.
> This was easy to disable in XP, but seems pretty much hidden in Vista. My
> guess is it requires a trip into the registry, but I can't find a relative
> key that seems to control this somewhat annoying functionality.
>
> All help would be much appreciated.
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2007
akita
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Turning off ZIP folders??
"JCO" wrote:

> After re-reading your issue, I'm not sure that works on Vista or not.
> It does work on Windows XP.
>


JCO, thanks, but no that only works in XP (Vista will no longer recognize
that command) and, BTW, this turns off ALL of XP's ZIP functionality
completly. In XP an easier way to achieve what I am looking for was this:
Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View ... and untick "Display
simple folder view in Explorer's Folders list" and click ok.

Seems Vista no longer allows this and that in Vista the user no longer has
control over this and similar behaviours. If you have lots of zip files in a
folder, and drag another file to that folder Vista will expand the folder
showing all zip
files like folders in the left pane. So, chancecs are that the file you are
dragging across will be dropped into a zip file rather than into the folder
itself - very annoying, to say the least! Besides, I really don't need to
have all them zip files displayed as folders - it's rather irritating, in
fact!!

Hell, I can't belive that this is sooo seemingly impossible to turn off.
With XP the user had far more control! Just try tunring off hybernation or
DEP in Vista or other simple settings, and you soon realise that you need to
go to the command prompt with admin privilges and need to know the correct
commands and syntax.

As much as I like Vista, it's these litle things I come across day by day
that drive me more and more away from Vista!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2007
JCO
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Turning off ZIP folders??
But you still can install WinZip and run those operations that way.
Can't you?

"akita" <akita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F21B6580-AED2-4802-B83E-CDB8BCE87D5B@microsoft.com...
> "JCO" wrote:
>
>> After re-reading your issue, I'm not sure that works on Vista or not.
>> It does work on Windows XP.
>>

>
> JCO, thanks, but no that only works in XP (Vista will no longer recognize
> that command) and, BTW, this turns off ALL of XP's ZIP functionality
> completly. In XP an easier way to achieve what I am looking for was this:
> Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View ... and untick "Display
> simple folder view in Explorer's Folders list" and click ok.
>
> Seems Vista no longer allows this and that in Vista the user no longer has
> control over this and similar behaviours. If you have lots of zip files in
> a
> folder, and drag another file to that folder Vista will expand the folder
> showing all zip
> files like folders in the left pane. So, chancecs are that the file you
> are
> dragging across will be dropped into a zip file rather than into the
> folder
> itself - very annoying, to say the least! Besides, I really don't need to
> have all them zip files displayed as folders - it's rather irritating, in
> fact!!
>
> Hell, I can't belive that this is sooo seemingly impossible to turn off.
> With XP the user had far more control! Just try tunring off hybernation or
> DEP in Vista or other simple settings, and you soon realise that you need
> to
> go to the command prompt with admin privilges and need to know the correct
> commands and syntax.
>
> As much as I like Vista, it's these litle things I come across day by day
> that drive me more and more away from Vista!



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2007
JCO
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Turning off ZIP folders??
Akita,
I guess you never got an answer to your question ... did you?
I hope someone else can help.


"akita" <akita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4275CBD4-3777-455D-86F5-F4CCBF403355@microsoft.com...
> Much like in XP, Vista will display zip files as folders. How can I
> prevent
> Vista from displaying zip files as folders?
>
> It really gets in the way when you have a folder with lots of zip files.
> This was easy to disable in XP, but seems pretty much hidden in Vista. My
> guess is it requires a trip into the registry, but I can't find a relative
> key that seems to control this somewhat annoying functionality.
>
> All help would be much appreciated.
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turning off ZIP folders?? akita microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 05-27-2007 09:30
Brief: SecurityFocus is turning seven. What's next? Steve Security News 0 03-09-2007 21:04
Turning stuff off Daniel microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 03-01-2007 09:13
RE: HOWTO: Disable Zip Folders =?Utf-8?B?VEM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 02-28-2007 19:47
computer turning off and on by itself =?Utf-8?B?dGhhcnNoYW4=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 12-09-2006 19:44




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:33.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120