Can't print from Dos program within Vista?

Wizard

Can't print from Dos program within Vista?
I have an RBase application I've been using for years and I have it now
running in Vista Business but I can not get it to print no matter what I
do. I have an HP960c Inkjet printer connect by USB. I have no LPT ports.
I have tried "net use LPT1 \\wizard\HP960c /persistent:yes" where wizard
is the machine name and HP960c is the printer name. I have even shared
the printer but nothing works. This BTW works fine in XP (I have to dual
Boot because of this issue).

Any Help?
Mr. Arnold

Re: Can't print from Dos program within Vista?

> This BTW works fine in XP (I have to dual
> Boot because of this issue).

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx
PaulB

RE: Can't print from Dos program within Vista?
Hi,
When you open the cmd prompt make sure you do it with run as administrator.
I use Rbase and this works for me in VISTA.
--
Paul

"Wizard" wrote:

> I have an RBase application I've been using for years and I have it now
> running in Vista Business but I can not get it to print no matter what I
> do. I have an HP960c Inkjet printer connect by USB. I have no LPT ports.
> I have tried "net use LPT1 \\wizard\HP960c /persistent:yes" where wizard
> is the machine name and HP960c is the printer name. I have even shared
> the printer but nothing works. This BTW works fine in XP (I have to dual
> Boot because of this issue).
>
> Any Help?

PaulB

RE: Can't print from Dos program within Vista?
What I meant in my previous post was to elevate (Run as administrator) when
you use the Net use command.
--
Paul

"Wizard" wrote:

> I have an RBase application I've been using for years and I have it now
> running in Vista Business but I can not get it to print no matter what I
> do. I have an HP960c Inkjet printer connect by USB. I have no LPT ports.
> I have tried "net use LPT1 \\wizard\HP960c /persistent:yes" where wizard
> is the machine name and HP960c is the printer name. I have even shared
> the printer but nothing works. This BTW works fine in XP (I have to dual
> Boot because of this issue).
>
> Any Help?

Peter B. Steiger

Re: Can't print from Dos program within Vista?
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:12:05 -0700, PaulB sez:
> What I meant in my previous post was to elevate (Run as administrator)
> when you use the Net use command.

For those of us who don't actually have Vista but must tell our customers
what to do, can you explain how specifically you elevate, or run as
administrator, or whatever?

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Peter B. Steiger

Re: Can't print from Dos program within Vista?
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:46:03 -0700, PaulB sez:
> Sorry, in this case right click on Command Prompt in the programs list
> (start menu/all programs/ accessories) and you will see "Run as
> administrator" as a choice. For other programs, right click on the .exe
> file and you will see the same entry. I hope this explains it.

Cool, thanks! Can a shortcut be set up so just clicking on the icon
automatically runs it as administrator?

"Peter B. Steiger" wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:12:05 -0700, PaulB sez:
> > What I meant in my previous post was to elevate (Run as administrator)
> > when you use the Net use command.

> For those of us who don't actually have Vista but must tell our customers
> what to do, can you explain how specifically you elevate, or run as
> administrator, or whatever?
>
> --
> Peter B. Steiger
> Cheyenne, WY
> If you must reply by email, you can reach me by placing zeroes
> where you see stars: wypbs_**2 at steigerfamily.com.

PaulB

Re: Can't print from Dos program within Vista?
Yes you can by going into the properties for the file or shortcut and
select the compatiblity tab and check run as adminstrator there.
--
Paul

"Peter B. Steiger" wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:46:03 -0700, PaulB sez:
> > Sorry, in this case right click on Command Prompt in the programs list
> > (start menu/all programs/ accessories) and you will see "Run as
> > administrator" as a choice. For other programs, right click on the .exe
> > file and you will see the same entry. I hope this explains it.

> Cool, thanks! Can a shortcut be set up so just clicking on the icon
> automatically runs it as administrator?
>
> --
> Peter B. Steiger
> Cheyenne, WY
> If you must reply by email, you can reach me by placing zeroes
> where you see stars: wypbs_**2 at steigerfamily.com.

roocell@gmail.com

Re: Can't print from Dos program within Vista?
i too have had difficulty doing LPT emulation on vista.
i have 2 dell PCs which are EXACTLY the same

i used the 'net use lpt1 \\computer_name\printer_share' command to map
LPT1 to my shared USB printer.
so that i can do 'copy file lpt1' in the DOS prompt to send files
directly to the printer.

this method worked great on one computer but the other computer keep
giving me the 'system error 66 had occurred. the network resource type
is not correct'

any ideas?

\\mike

stevlena

Re: Can't print from Dos program within Vista?

What's the best way to get rid of this old broken inkjet printer? It's
one of those HP combo units but it's stuck/ jammed and I've tried
everything on the website to fix it, no luck, so it won't do anything
except beep now. I already have a replacement, and it's too cheap to be
worth repairing. Just toss it? I hate to do that. Ideas?

--
stevlena
stevlena's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/105502.htm

http://forums.techarena.in