Can I repair parental controls service?

Paul Spoerry

Can I repair parental controls service?
A multi-card reader USB device caused Vista to go funky so I used system
restore to go back to before the device was installed. Now, parental controls
is blocking access to anyone who isn't an administrator. Even if parental
controls are not assigned to an account the user is unable to go ANYWHERE on
the net. They receive a message that the parental controls service is not
running. I checked, sure enough it's set to automatic startup but when I
start it I get an error.

I've tried setting the service to logon of Network Service (using blank
password since I don't know the system generated password) and I get the
following error... I also get this error if I try to run under Local System
Account:
"The Parental Controls service failed to start due to the following error:
The account specified for this service is different from the account
specified for other services running in the same process."

I then tried to run under Local Service but then get the following:
"The Parental Controls service terminated with the following error:
General access denied error"

Is there a way to reinstall the parental controls service? Is there a way to
find out what account the "other services running in the same process" are
running as? What services could it be talking about?

Please help!!

Paul Spoerry
Chad Harris

Re: Can I repair parental controls service?
Hi Paul--

If this doesn't help, even though you are on a different edition/OS, run SFC
and if that doesn't help, do a startup repair if you have the Vista DVD--it
might fix this.

Once you run SFC, which replaces files that are corrupt with intact ones, I
would do a few troubleshooting moves then call the Cable Provider tech
support or schedule a truck roll and make them do their job and get you on
the web.

How to Run SFC:

Type "cmd" into the Search box above the Start Button>and when cmd comes up
at the top of the Start menu>right click cmd and click "run as Admin" and
when the cmd prompt comes up at the cmd prompt type "sfc /scannow" no quotes
and let it run. This may fix things quite a bit. It replaces corrupt files
with intact ones, if you're not familiar with it.

you can try Startup Repair from the DVD and you can try safe
mode from the same Repair link on setup from the DVD. Have you? Here are
3 options. Often system restore will work from the repair option when it
won't work from F8 or Windows Advanced Options screen in vista. You also
have access to the command prompt from Win RE or the repiar link on the DVD.
You can try the command for system restore there. It often works when other
modalities don't. I know you haven't. I'll bet you don't know what the
command is to run system restore from the command prompt from the Recovery
Environment on the Vista DVD do you?

It's %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and it comes from this XP
MSKB and it would be nice if MSFT supplied it on their Win RE recovery
options screen but they weren't smart enough to think of doing it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

You can also use this command as one of the five options from the F8 Windows
Advanced Options Screen which has 5 safe modes from which to access system
restore and Last Known Good Configuration. I count 3eight options there
and I don't think you've tried but one or two of them. Often one works
when another doesn't.

If you have a Vista DVD try Startup Repair. If that doesn't work, try
SafeMode>System Restore from the Recovery Environment, and you always have
the F8 advanced options ( five of them including Last Known Good
Configuration) and a repair install (with the DVD) as well.

In addition you can use the Bootsect tool to manually repair the boot sector
by accessing the command prompt from the DVD or from F8 and typing at the
prompt:

***Startup Repair and System Restore from the Win Recovery Environment on
the DVD***

You can run Startup Repair by putting your Vista DVD in after theanguage
screen in setup. You can also run System Restore from the same
location.

You run the startup repair tool this way (and system restore from here is
also sometimes effective):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

Note The computer must be configured to start from a CD or from a DVD. For
information about how to configure the computer to start from a CD or from a
DVD, see the information that came with the computer.
2. Restart the computer. To do this, click Start, click the arrow next to
the Lock button, and then click Restart.

This usually means that you enter bios setup by whatever key or keys
(sometimes there is more than one key that will do it for your model--go to
pc manufacturer site) and configure CD to be first in the boot order (this
will allow you to boot from the Vista DVD as well):

See for ref:
Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Boot Order in Bios (Set Boot from HD 1st)
http://www.short-media.com/images/mm...ios/bios03.jpg

Note If you cannot restart the computer by using this method, use the power
button to turn off the computer. Then, turn the computer back on.

3. Set your language preference, and then click Next.

Note In most cases, the startup repair process starts automatically, and you
do not have the option to select it in the System Recovery Options menu.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click the operating system
that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair to start the
repair process.

7. When the repair process is complete, click Finish.

Additional References for Startup Repair With Screenshots:

How to Use Startup Repair:

***Accessing Windows RE (Repair Environment):***

1) Insert Media into PC (the DVD you burned)

2) ***You will see on the Vista logo setup screen after lang. options in the
lower left corner, a link called "System Recovery Options."***

Screenshot: System Recovery Options (Lower Left Link)
http://blogs.itecn.net/photos/liuhui...4/500x375.aspx

Screenshot: (Click first option "Startup Repair"
http://www.leedesmond.com/images/img...SysRecOpt2.bmp

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

3) Select your OS for repair.

4) Its been my experience that you can see some causes of the crash from
theWin RE feature:

You'll have a choice there of using:

1) Startup Repair
2) System Restore
3) Complete PC Restore
___________________

In addition you can use the Bootsect tool to manually repair the boot sector
by accessing the command prompt from the DVD or from F8 and typing at the
prompt:

Bootsect.exe is available from the \Boot\folder of the Windows Vista DVD and
can be run from within System Recovery or Windows XP on a dual boot.

1. Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Windows Vista MBR and the boot code that
transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager program. To do this, type the
following command at a command prompt: Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation
media is located.

Note The boot folder for this step is on the DVD drive.
2. Use Bcdedit.exe to manually create an entry in the BCD Boot.ini file for
the earlier version of the Windows operating system. To do this, type the
following commands at a command prompt.

Note In these commands, Drive is the drive where Windows Vista is
installed. • Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /create {ntldr} –d "Description
for earlier Windows version"

Note In this command, Description for earlier Windows version can be any
text that you want. For example, Description for earlier Windows version can
be "Windows XP" or "Windows Server 2003".
• Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=x:

Note In this command, x: is the drive letter for the active partition.
• Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
• Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} –addlast

3. Restart the computer.
____________________________
******Using the BootRec.exe Tool

Using the System Recovery Tool from the Repair link on the DVD after the
language choice in the lower left hand corner you can select command prompt
and you have the following options:

Bootrec.exe (You can use this tool to recover Vista even when you do not
receive the error message that is the title of the 2nd linked MSKB below):

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

Error message when you start Windows Vista: "The Windows Boot Configuration
Data file is missing required information"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391/en-us
***Using the F8 Environment or a Repair Install from the DVD:***

See for ref:
Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Boot Order in Bios (Set Boot from HD 1st)
http://www.short-media.com/images/mm...ios/bios03.jpg

Repair Install
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

Repair Install (Method 2):

III Taking Full Advantage of the F8 Options (Windows Advanced Options Menu)
by startin gth ePC and tapping F8 once per second:

You could also:

Think: I have 4 different ways to get back my XP at F8 and try 'em in order.
1) Safe Mode 2) Safe Mode with Cmd to Sys Restore which is simply a cmd
prompt in safe mode 3) Safe Mode with Neworking 4) LKG or Last Known Good
Configuration

Try to F8 to the Windows Adv Options Menu>try 3 safe modes there (I don't
use WGA) and Last Known Good>then I go to Win RE in Vista. That gives you a
choice of Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking,and Safe Mode with Command
Prompt.

These methods are outlined in

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP/and Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/

How to Use System Restore

http://bertk.mvps.org/

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore from MSFT:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../faqsrwxp.mspx

Using System Restore

http://tinyurl.com/dvekb

System Restore for Windows XP

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP

Repair Install: (This option has the best chance of succeeding and it
preserves everything in your OS--you do not lose anything with this option):

Make sure the DVD you have is a Vista DVD

Pitfalls: If the DVD came from friend or relative or P2P, you may have
problems. P2P besides being illlegal in many countries including the U.S.
can be corrupt. If CD came from friend or relative, they may have given
you the CD to use but if product key is in use, MSFT is not going to accept
it for activation. Make sure you clean the CD carefully using proper
cleaning fluid and strokes that radiate from center like spokes on a wheel.

Again a repair install has the most likely chance to succeed in XP, (and can
work in Vista) but you need
to have a Vista DVD.

First, in order to do a Repair Install You must boot to the bios setup and
position booting from the "CD" first in the boot order--it probably will not
say DVD but might.

Booting to Bios Setup:

For 85% of PC's and all Dells you can tap the F2 key to reach bios setup.

How To Enable DVD/CD Rom Support (put CD boot first) in bios setup boot
order:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how..._support_i.htm

Screen Shot of bios setup boot order:
http://www.poy.net/proxy/bios2.jpg

Repair Install Does Not Lose Anything; you may need to try 2-3 times but
that's rare.

How To Repair Install
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3153...22120121120120
Screen Shot Repair Install
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winx...exfullpage.htm

Good luck,

CH

"Paul Spoerry" <PaulSpoerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A multi-card reader USB device caused Vista to go funky so I used system
> restore to go back to before the device was installed. Now, parental
> controls
> is blocking access to anyone who isn't an administrator. Even if parental
> controls are not assigned to an account the user is unable to go ANYWHERE
> on
> the net. They receive a message that the parental controls service is not
> running. I checked, sure enough it's set to automatic startup but when I
> start it I get an error.
>
> I've tried setting the service to logon of Network Service (using blank
> password since I don't know the system generated password) and I get the
> following error... I also get this error if I try to run under Local
> System
> Account:
> "The Parental Controls service failed to start due to the following error:
> The account specified for this service is different from the account
> specified for other services running in the same process."
>
> I then tried to run under Local Service but then get the following:
> "The Parental Controls service terminated with the following error:
> General access denied error"
>
> Is there a way to reinstall the parental controls service? Is there a way
> find out what account the "other services running in the same process" are
> running as? What services could it be talking about?
>
> Please help!!
>
> Paul Spoerry

kev2100@gmail.com

Re: Can I repair parental controls service?
Vista's parental controls are just what you would expect for a freebee
from Microsoft.... lousy. The best option is a good third party
control. I use PC Chaperone found at http://www.pc-chaperone.com. It's
by far the easiest and most powerful parental control I've seen

Paul Spoerry

Re: Can I repair parental controls service?
Chad,

Thanks for the in depth response. I've tried the startup repair and SFC, no
success from either. I guess I need to try a reinstall. I just wish I knew a
way to restore the Network Services account, or determine the password it's
running under so I could apply that pw to the service.