Inactive XP Partition after Vista Install

Paul Hadfield

Inactive XP Partition after Vista Install
Hi,

In preparation of upgrading to Vista, I had two copies of XP on my home PC (Professional for work, re-installed Media Edition as qualifier for Vistia Upgrade) - both on different primary partitions on one hard disk. Using Partition / Boot Magic to switch the active partition so that each version of XP booted as drive C: (and the other was marked as inactive). All worked great - could boot between the two and everything was fantastic.

Unluckily for me a couple of sites I read, implied that bootmagic was fine with Vista (I've since found ones that say otherwise) - so I upgraded the media edition to Vista, which also all went well. But now I can only boot straight into Vista. If I use disk manager I can see the old XP partition, but it is marked as inactive. I don't have the option to make it active, nor can I assign a drive letter.

I've downloaded VistaBootPro briefly last night, changing the boot options, I managed to get XP to start booting, but then got stuck in a loop with ("Unable to find autochk.exe - Skipping autochk"), which after displaying the machine reboots. In the end I followed some instructions on booting from the Vista DVD and repairing the bootloader and now I'm back to my original state of booting straight into Vista and not being able to see the partition.

Ideally I'd like to get my dual boot configuration back again, but if that's not possible it would be good just to be able to make the partition active again before clearing it.

Any ideas?

Regards,

- Paul

Paul Hadfield

Re: Inactive XP Partition after Vista Install
I feel in a chicken and egg situation! I would like to keep both operating
systems in ignorance of each other (which boot magic seemed to do). Both
partitions are on the same physical disk - currently the Vista partition is
active and bootable - has the drive letter C: Within Vista, in disk
management i can see the bootable partition that WinXP is loaded on, and
it's not active - just like it used to be under WinXP dual boot.

Therefore I guess my problem is, how / or what utility to replace Boot
Magic. This would be so that when I reboot I get an option to select either
Vista or WinXP, making the relevant partition active and hiding the other.
That's my requirement, but I'm also stuck how to get there. Can I use
VistaBootPro to do that (or EasyBCD as that seems to have replaced it).

- Paul.

"...winston" <merlin@druid9#.com> wrote in message
[...]

Glenn

Re: Inactive XP Partition after Vista Install
Paul,

I have used EasyBCD v1.6, the latest, it's great for multi-boot
configurations, so just relax and as long as you don't format those other
partiotions all is well. So download EasyBCD v1.6 install it under the Vista
OS and then begin reassigning and configuring the drives.

I currently run an AMD Opteron185 system with two installs of Windows Server
2008 Beta and Vista Ultimate 32bit & 64bit, and yes it was easy. I since have
weaned myself off of Windows XP. : )

Keep us posted! : )

Glenn

"Paul Hadfield" wrote:

> I feel in a chicken and egg situation! I would like to keep both operating
> systems in ignorance of each other (which boot magic seemed to do). Both
> partitions are on the same physical disk - currently the Vista partition is
> active and bootable - has the drive letter C: Within Vista, in disk
> management i can see the bootable partition that WinXP is loaded on, and
> it's not active - just like it used to be under WinXP dual boot.
>
> Therefore I guess my problem is, how / or what utility to replace Boot
> Magic. This would be so that when I reboot I get an option to select either
> Vista or WinXP, making the relevant partition active and hiding the other.
> That's my requirement, but I'm also stuck how to get there. Can I use
> VistaBootPro to do that (or EasyBCD as that seems to have replaced it).
>
> - Paul.
>
> "...winston" <merlin@druid9#.com> wrote in message
> Did you use VistaBoot Pro to install the Vista bootloader to provide a dual
> boot system ? Vista does not use XP's boot.ini(which you used in the past)
> and installs its own boot loader for both o/s.

> "Paul Hadfield" <nonone@noone.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In preparation of upgrading to Vista, I had two copies of XP on my home PC
> (Professional for work, re-installed Media Edition as qualifier for Vistia
> Upgrade) - both on different primary partitions on one hard disk. Using
> Partition / Boot Magic to switch the active partition so that each version
> of XP booted as drive C: (and the other was marked as inactive). All worked
> great - could boot between the two and everything was fantastic.
>
> Unluckily for me a couple of sites I read, implied that bootmagic was fine
> with Vista (I've since found ones that say otherwise) - so I upgraded the
> media edition to Vista, which also all went well. But now I can only boot
> straight into Vista. If I use disk manager I can see the old XP partition,
> but it is marked as inactive. I don't have the option to make it active,
> nor can I assign a drive letter.
>
> I've downloaded VistaBootPro briefly last night, changing the boot options,
> I managed to get XP to start booting, but then got stuck in a loop with
> ("Unable to find autochk.exe - Skipping autochk"), which after displaying
> the machine reboots. In the end I followed some instructions on booting
> from the Vista DVD and repairing the bootloader and now I'm back to my
> original state of booting straight into Vista and not being able to see the
> partition.
>
> Ideally I'd like to get my dual boot configuration back again, but if that's
> not possible it would be good just to be able to make the partition active
> again before clearing it.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> - Paul

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Inactive XP Partition after Vista Install
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think EasyBCD will hide the
Vista partition from being seen within XP. It is necessary to hide
the Vista partition or else XP will delete Vista's system restoration
files. See http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html
and note the BootIt NG workaround.

Gary VanderMolen

"Glenn" <Glenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A763C74A-F79E-480E-A4BB-356F361A4F3D@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>>
>> I've downloaded VistaBootPro briefly last night, changing the boot options,
>> I managed to get XP to start booting, but then got stuck in a loop with
>> ("Unable to find autochk.exe - Skipping autochk"), which after displaying
>> the machine reboots. In the end I followed some instructions on booting
>> from the Vista DVD and repairing the bootloader and now I'm back to my
>> original state of booting straight into Vista and not being able to see the
>> partition.
>>
>> Ideally I'd like to get my dual boot configuration back again, but if that's
>> not possible it would be good just to be able to make the partition active
>> again before clearing it.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> - Paul

John Barnes

Re: Inactive XP Partition after Vista Install
You aren't wrong and BootItNG is a very good way to safely dual boot XP and
Vista without losing the restore points, etc.

"Gary VanderMolen" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> ("Unable to find autochk.exe - Skipping autochk"), which after
>>> displaying
>>> the machine reboots. In the end I followed some instructions on booting
>>> from the Vista DVD and repairing the bootloader and now I'm back to my
>>> original state of booting straight into Vista and not being able to see
>>> the
>>> partition.
>>>
>>> Ideally I'd like to get my dual boot configuration back again, but if
>>> that's
>>> not possible it would be good just to be able to make the partition
>>> active
>>> again before clearing it.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> - Paul

...winston

Re: Inactive XP Partition after Vista Install
John,
Yes, you are correct , I knew that too(especially since this dual boot
machine does just that since I get two boot menus due to the recovery
console installed on XP prior to adding Vista<g>). Though, correct me if I
am wrong, the 'earlier o/s' files are only come into play after the Vista
bootloader passes control to the earlier files.

In the op's case he wishes to be able to hide the o/s from the get go like
in Boot Magic. Vista Boot Pro does not provide that option since it is a
simple, limited option tool to set up a dual boot system thus requiring an
alternate method in XP and Vista to hide the other o/s drive.

You and Gary have also confirmed that EasyBCd will not provide that task
either
- the op's primary objective was to hide both operating systems from
each other.

In hindsight, since the op now only wishes to dual boot but hide the
non-booted o/s partition(XP or Vista)... will BootItNg provide the other
original request ---switch one o/s to active and the other inactive..afaik,
it can hide them does it actually toggle one active and the other inactive.

The op should have been able to dual boot with Vista Boot Pro or EasyBCD but
not hide the opposite o/s.

And finally is there any real value(compatibility wise) in hiding the XP
partition from Vista.

...winston

> Vista does use the XP boot files for booting older systems (98 and XP)
>
> "...winston" <merlin@druid9#.com> wrote in message
> Did you use VistaBoot Pro to install the Vista bootloader to provide a
> dual boot system ? Vista doeos not use XP's boot.ini(which you used in the
> past) and installs its own boot loader for both o/s.

> "Paul Hadfield" <nonone@noone.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In preparation of upgrading to Vista, I had two copies of XP on my home PC
> (Professional for work, re-installed Media Edition as qualifier for Vistia
> Upgrade) - both on different primary partitions on one hard disk. Using
> Partition / Boot Magic to switch the active partition so that each version
> of XP booted as drive C: (and the other was marked as inactive). All
> worked great - could boot between the two and everything was fantastic.
>
> Unluckily for me a couple of sites I read, implied that bootmagic was fine
> with Vista (I've since found ones that say otherwise) - so I upgraded the
> media edition to Vista, which also all went well. But now I can only boot
> straight into Vista. If I use disk manager I can see the old XP
> partition, but it is marked as inactive. I don't have the option to make
> it active, nor can I assign a drive letter.
>
> I've downloaded VistaBootPro briefly last night, changing the boot
> options, I managed to get XP to start booting, but then got stuck in a
> loop with ("Unable to find autochk.exe - Skipping autochk"), which after
> displaying the machine reboots. In the end I followed some instructions
> on booting from the Vista DVD and repairing the bootloader and now I'm
> back to my original state of booting straight into Vista and not being
> able to see the partition.
>
> Ideally I'd like to get my dual boot configuration back again, but if
> that's not possible it would be good just to be able to make the partition
> active again before clearing it.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> - Paul

John Barnes

Re: Inactive XP Partition after Vista Install

> Yes, you are correct , I knew that too(especially since this dual boot
> machine does just that since I get two boot menus due to the recovery
> console installed on XP prior to adding Vista<g>). Though, correct me if
> I am wrong, the 'earlier o/s' files are only come into play after the
> Vista bootloader passes control to the earlier files.

True

> In hindsight, since the op now only wishes to dual boot but hide the
> non-booted o/s partition(XP or Vista)... will BootItNg provide the other
> original request ---switch one o/s to active and the other
> inactive..afaik, it can hide them does it actually toggle one active and
> the other inactive.

Yes

> The op should have been able to dual boot with Vista Boot Pro or EasyBCD
> but not hide the opposite o/s.
>
> And finally is there any real value(compatibility wise) in hiding the XP
> partition from Vista.

No

...winston

Re: Inactive XP Partition after Vista Install
"John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message news:%23Hf9nB8nHHA.4960@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
<snip>

------
John,