How do I install external usb hard drive for Vista in a dual boot

jcoane

How do I install external usb hard drive for Vista in a dual boot
I want to install Vista on a usb external hard drive with C: remaining for
XP. When I went to do a clean install on E:, the Vista installer tells me
that it can not install Vista on a external usb or IEEE drive. Is this a
fixable problem? Why would Vista care about the external drive being usb or
IEEE. Please help so I don't have to partition my small internal hard drive.

I am using a Dell Inspiron E1505 with 60hd, 2mb ram.
Richard Urban

Re: How do I install external usb hard drive for Vista in a dual boot
You can not install Vista to an external USB hard drive.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"jcoane" <jcoane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to install Vista on a usb external hard drive with C: remaining for
> XP. When I went to do a clean install on E:, the Vista installer tells me
> that it can not install Vista on a external usb or IEEE drive. Is this a
> fixable problem? Why would Vista care about the external drive being usb
> or
> IEEE. Please help so I don't have to partition my small internal hard
> drive.
>
> I am using a Dell Inspiron E1505 with 60hd, 2mb ram.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: How do I install external usb hard drive for Vista in a dual boot
Windows Vista can only be installed successfully on an internal hard drive.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----

"jcoane" wrote:

I want to install Vista on a usb external hard drive with C: remaining for
XP. When I went to do a clean install on E:, the Vista installer tells me
that it can not install Vista on a external usb or IEEE drive. Is this a
fixable problem? Why would Vista care about the external drive being usb or
IEEE. Please help so I don't have to partition my small internal hard drive.

I am using a Dell Inspiron E1505 with 60hd, 2mb ram.

John Barnes

Re: How do I install external usb hard drive for Vista in a dual boot
It can be installed on an external SATA if you have that available.