Removing Vista and reinstalling XP... how to do it?

Speedy

Removing Vista and reinstalling XP... how to do it?
Hello

I have an older PC running an eval of Windows Vista and I now want to put my
licensed copy of XP Media Center Edition back on there.

The obvious route was to boot from the XP CD, run install, and delete and
reformat the partition that had Vista on it and install XP in the new
partition.

However when I do this, upon next reboot during XP install, I simply get the
message "Error Loading Operating System".

I have heard that Vista mucks with the boot sector in some way such that
this happens.

The question is how can I wipe the last traces of the Vista stuff from my
hard drive so I can reinstall XP.

Note: I already deleted the Vista partition, reformatted it (quick format).
There is only one drive and one partition, FYI

Thanks in advance
SS
John Inzer

Re: Removing Vista and reinstalling XP... how to do it?
Speedy wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have an older PC running an eval of Windows Vista and I now want to
> put my licensed copy of XP Media Center Edition back on there.
>
> The obvious route was to boot from the XP CD, run install, and delete
> and reformat the partition that had Vista on it and install XP in the
> new partition.
>
> However when I do this, upon next reboot during XP install, I simply
> get the message "Error Loading Operating System".
>
> I have heard that Vista mucks with the boot sector in some way such
> that this happens.
>
> The question is how can I wipe the last traces of the Vista stuff
> from my hard drive so I can reinstall XP.
>
> Note: I already deleted the Vista partition, reformatted it (quick
> format). There is only one drive and one partition, FYI
>
> Thanks in advance
> SS

=====================================
Maybe the following article will offer some ideas:

(933168) How to restore a computer to a
previous Windows installation after you install
Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168/en-us

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Speedy

Re: Removing Vista and reinstalling XP... how to do it?
How would I get a command prompt when booting from an XP MCE2005 CD?
Remember right now there is NO operating system on the hard drive, the only
way to boot is from the CD.

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Speedy wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I have an older PC running an eval of Windows Vista and I now want to
> > put my licensed copy of XP Media Center Edition back on there.
> >
> > The obvious route was to boot from the XP CD, run install, and delete
> > and reformat the partition that had Vista on it and install XP in the
> > new partition.
> >
> > However when I do this, upon next reboot during XP install, I simply
> > get the message "Error Loading Operating System".
> >
> > I have heard that Vista mucks with the boot sector in some way such
> > that this happens.
> >
> > The question is how can I wipe the last traces of the Vista stuff
> > from my hard drive so I can reinstall XP.
> >
> > Note: I already deleted the Vista partition, reformatted it (quick
> > format). There is only one drive and one partition, FYI
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > SS

> =====================================
> Maybe the following article will offer some ideas:
>
> (933168) How to restore a computer to a
> previous Windows installation after you install
> Windows Vista

> John Inzer
> MS Picture It! -
> Digital Image MVP
>
> Digital Image
> Highlights and FAQs
> http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

John Barnes

Re: Removing Vista and reinstalling XP... how to do it?
You can boot into the recovery console at the first options page. Option R
if I recall