explore opening question

Henry Krautter

explore opening question
Hi, When I open explore for my computer the C drive displays all the
folders. The C drive is only my boot drive. Is there a way to stop this?

Thanks,
Henry

Tim

Re: explore opening question
Yes...don't open Explorer on your C drive.

But seriously, I'm not understanding what your problem is. Do you have a
second hard drive that you would like to see by default when you open
Explorer? If you don't want to see the folders on drive C, what would you
rather see? A more detailed explanation or question would help.

Tim

"Henry Krautter" <hwk@juno.com> wrote in message
> Hi, When I open explore for my computer the C drive displays all the
> folders. The C drive is only my boot drive. Is there a way to stop this?
>
> Thanks,
> Henry

Henry Krautter

Re: explore opening question
Hi, I only use the C drive as a boot drive. All the stuff I would want to
see is on other drives. The first thing I have to do when I open explorer is
click on the icon next to the C drive so I don't see the files, then I go to
open one of the other drives that I want to see. It's annoying and it would
be nice if I didn't have to do that.

Henry

"Tim" <tim_at_overthere.com> wrote in message
> Yes...don't open Explorer on your C drive.
>
> But seriously, I'm not understanding what your problem is. Do you have a
> second hard drive that you would like to see by default when you open
> Explorer? If you don't want to see the folders on drive C, what would you
> rather see? A more detailed explanation or question would help.
>
> Tim
>
> "Henry Krautter" <hwk@juno.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, When I open explore for my computer the C drive displays all the
>> folders. The C drive is only my boot drive. Is there a way to stop this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Henry

Bruce Chambers

Henry Krautter wrote:
> Hi, I only use the C drive as a boot drive. All the stuff I would want to
> see is on other drives. The first thing I have to do when I open
> explorer is
> click on the icon next to the C drive so I don't see the files, then I
> go to
> open one of the other drives that I want to see. It's annoying and it would
> be nice if I didn't have to do that.

Basically, all you need do is modify the target field of your
Windows Explorer shortcut to point where you want it.

Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer

WinNT Explorer Command-Line Options
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q152/4/57.asp

For instance, "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e ,d:\" (without the
quotes) would open Windows Explorer at the root of the D:\ drive.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Tim

Re: explore opening question
OK...I think I understand now. I do the same thing. Try this:

Put a shortcut to Windows Explorer in the Quick Launch bar (or
desktop...whatever).
Right-click on the newly created Windows Explorer shortcut and choose
Properties
In the Target window under the Shortcut tab add the following after
"explorer.exe": /e, d:\your_desired_folder
Change the "d:" to whatever drive letter your desired folder is on and
substitute "your_desired_folder" for the name of the folder you want to open
by default.

> Hi, I only use the C drive as a boot drive. All the stuff I would want to
> see is on other drives. The first thing I have to do when I open explorer
> is
> click on the icon next to the C drive so I don't see the files, then I go
> open one of the other drives that I want to see. It's annoying and it
> would
> be nice if I didn't have to do that.
>
> Henry
>

> "Tim" <tim_at_overthere.com> wrote in message
>> Yes...don't open Explorer on your C drive.
>>
>> But seriously, I'm not understanding what your problem is. Do you have a
>> second hard drive that you would like to see by default when you open
>> Explorer? If you don't want to see the folders on drive C, what would you
>> rather see? A more detailed explanation or question would help.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> "Henry Krautter" <hwk@juno.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi, When I open explore for my computer the C drive displays all the
>>> folders. The C drive is only my boot drive. Is there a way to stop this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Henry